"cop runners" - oil "o" ring fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I FINALLY DID MY OIL "O" RING FIX LAST WEEKEND , IT WENT PRETTY GOOD ! THE HARDEST PART WAS GETTING THE EXHAUST PIPES OFF ! ALL OF THE GASKETS ( THEY ARE REALLY LIKE SLEEVES ) WHERE FROZEN TO THE PIPES , SO I HAD TO WRAP BLACK TAPE AROUND A PRY BAR & WIGGLE THE PIPES WHILE PRYING ON THEM , THE GASKETS ALL TORE APART & I DIDN'T HAVE NEW ONES , SO I WENT INSIDE & ORDERED THEM FROM WWW.BIKEBANDIT.COM GOT THEM IN 41/2 DAYS ! I CONTINUED ON AND TOOK OUT THE LOW OIL LEVEL INDICATOR & DROPPED THE OIL PAN DOWN ! MY "O" RING HADN'T POPPED OUT YET , SO I CLEANED OFF THE LITTLE ELBOW & GLUED THE HARD PLASTIC BUTTON ONTO IT , THAT REPLACES THE FACTORY SOFT RUBBER ONE , I WAS LUCKY WITH THE OIL PAN GASKET , IT ONLY STUCK TO THE BLOCK IN ONE LITTLE SPOT & TO THE OIL PAN IN THREE SPOTS , SO I SCRAPED IT OFF WITH A RAZOR BLADE & CLEANED EVERYTHING OFF WITH BRAKE CLEAN , MY OIL PAN WAS SPOTLESS , NO METAL SHAVINGS OR ANYTHING , THANK GOD ! I LET THE GLUE DRY TO HOLD THE PLASTIC BUTTON FOR 2 HOURS , THEN I REINSTALLED THE OIL PAN ! TORQUED EVERYTHING TO SPECS , AT THIS POINT YOU CAN REACH UP INTO THE LOW OIL LEVEL SENDER HOLE & FEEL ( MAKE SURE ) THAT THE PLASTIC BUTTON DIDN'T MOVE ! I ACTUALLY LOOKED UP IN THERE WITH THE BORE SCOPE FROM WORK , IT HAS A COLOR TV SCREEN , IT WAS COOL AS HELL , LOOKING IN THERE AT THAT LITTLE BUTTON ON A TV SCREEN ! I FINISHED ASSEMBLING EVERYTHING , STARTED THE BIKE ! NO LEEKS NO SQUEAKS ! IT WENT GREAT ! NOT THAT MY "O" RING EVER WOULD HAVE POPPED OUT , BUT NOW I CAN SLEEP KNOWING THAT IT CANT ! IT WAS WORTH THE PIECE OF MIND ! I THINK THE HEAD OF THE PLASTIC BUTTON SHOULD BE MADE .010 WIDER SO YOU PRESS IT OR TAP IT INTO THE ELBOW & IT STAYS IN BY ITSELF , WITHOUT HAVING TO GLUE IT ! IT WOULD SAVE TIME ! :punk:

Nice write-up Cop Runner. The bore scope is a great idea for anyone who suspects an o-ring issue (or just wants to check that area out).....just remove the low oil sending unit and look up in there. :thumbs up:

Nice Cop Runner. We have one of those Bore scopes also at work. I think I will borrow and take a look. I do like your fix. Glad it all went well. Thanks for sharing.

YOU CAN SEE IN THERE WEAR THE "O" RING IS STRAIGHT IN & TO THE RIGHT WITH A BORE SCOPE , BUT TO LOOK AT THE BUTTON YOU NEED THE LITTLE MIRROR THATS ON A 45 DEG. ANGLE THAT ATTACH'S TO THE TIP TO LOOK OVER & DOWN ! WORKS GREAT !...:punk: BUT YOU ALSO CAN JUST REACH IN & FEEL IT WITH THE TIP OF YOUR FINGER , WITH THE LOW OIL LEVEL SENDING UNIT REMOVED !

Last edited:
I have the new "cushion" for the oil pipe and I will drop may oil pan Monday or Tuesday to intall it. I'll make sure "o" ring is intact and hopefully I won't need a new one. I hope my oil pressure gauge arrives before I have it ready to ride.

I have the new "cushion" for the oil pipe and I will drop may oil pan Monday or Tuesday to intall it. I'll make sure "o" ring is intact and hopefully I won't need a new one. I hope my oil pressure gauge arrives before I have it ready to ride.

FWIW Brian, you do not need to drain the oil to install the O/P gauge. Just place the rear wheel on a flat 2 X 4 and lower the kick stand. The oil will drain away from the access hole and not be an issue.

FWIW Brian, you do not need to drain the oil to install the O/P gauge. Just place the rear wheel on a flat 2 X 4 and lower the kick stand. The oil will drain away from the access hole and not be an issue.
I was thinking it might work like some of the other right side maintenance but wasn't sure since it sits lower. Thanks for the heads up Danny!:worthy:

In theory it could affect all of them BUT.....

The other point to consider is this:
  • There was a revised gallery pipe introduced 2001(?) so in theory post that year shouldn't be affected (unless anyone knows different?)
  • The youngest Max is going to be over ten years old with the oldest over thirty.
  • There is no history of large numbers of Maxii grenading due to lubrication issues or hard evidence that a displaced O ring causes problems.
  • If a bike has survived this long (and assuming regular maintenance and not abused) it it unlikely to go bang now.
There still seems to be a paranoia about the Orange O ring which is not justified or supported by hard evidence.
It is good practice to let the oil warm up before giving it some welly and so doing is good for the motor.

IMO, if the bike is running well then just ride and enjoy it.

Every single engine we've had come in with a major failure had the oring blown out. This includes the years with the so called upgraded pipe. I do recommend the HD oiling upgrades if you plan to ride the bike hard. Also, warm the bike up to at least 1/4 of the way up the gauge before running the bike hard.

I took both of my Gen 1's down to get to oil piping and O-Ring and to inspect the lower end that I could get to. I did both bikes O-Rings with The Kawasaki O-Ring Fix and the plastic button that goes in to hold things in place. At the same time I installed Oil Pressure Gauges. The 89 had been modified some time in the past and looked like new piping had been installed but had the Stock O-Ring, R&R''d it by me. Oil pressure runs about 8-10 pounds higher than stock on that engine so the pump had been modded in the past too. If nothing else it's good insurance to fix the issue. bike has been over 160 Indicated and I have never had any variation of oil pressure... Sean's (one2dmax's) Advice is and has always been Gospel. CaptainKyle is right there too... I've learned a lot over thee past decade from both of them.. Thanks Guys..

No, I haven't had the need for them. Just the HD oiling kit we sell with improved oring and overdrive the pump. You can use the plastic button at the same time as well as the bracket some like to use but that's just not what we've needed to resolve the issue.

Thanks folks. I didn’t really expect a reply so quickly. Sean do you sell these plastic buttons?

The plastic button was a part from COO. The "Pop Stopper" was what Tom called it.
The plastic button just helps hold the elbow in place. The OEM rubber button is somewhat "squishy" to give it a technical term.
I installed Sean's kit with the Kawasaki oval ring. It was a damn tight fit. I also installed the plastic button. I really think some mechanics wire could take the place of the button and know a few members here who have done exactly that.

For those curious about what the popped O ring looks like. Here’s a pic of my ‘98

Attachments

• 4D4CA8E0-1034-4D95-8306-65C5E6AD3901.png
    4D4CA8E0-1034-4D95-8306-65C5E6AD3901.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
Back