• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cops 4 sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally had Gannon's set with resistors but one of the resistors broke off. Had reconnected my old coil to the plug (so 3 cops and 1 old coil) but the bike didnt start up and run as crisp as with all four cops. Had trouble connecting with Gannon. So received a replacement wire with resistor from Blaxmax, same set up and bike started up on the first crank after sitting for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

one more question, the plug on the end, it all appears to be just plug and play?

I picked up a set from from blackmax.

In my case:
1. The bike now starts quicker.
2. The 'Max used want to die at idle when it got hot, so I had to bump the idle to 1250-1300 RPM to keep it running at stoplights. (assumed it was carb related) With COPs, I'm back to a smooth 1000 RPM at idle. (even with my California model which is supposed to be set to 1100 +-50)
3. I had a hesitation just after Vboost around 7K before COPs. That is now gone.
4. Even though I left my stock coils in place, you could remove them to lose a few pounds.
5. It is easier to route the COPs wiring, since it replaces the thicker spark plug wires.
6. By retaining the old coils and plug wires, you can switch between the two systems if one is giving you trouble. Don't think I will go back though...

You will not gain any horsepower from doing this mod. The bike will run exactly as it did with new factory coils. The mod eliminates the plug wires and there was a chance one of the factory coils was failing on my bike. This mod will also remove a potential point of failure for the system: the high voltage wire from the ignition coil to the plug.

blackmax builds the kits with the shorter COPs that makes it easier to fit the coil on plug into the tight space above the front spark plugs.
I used two different sizes of split loom over the body of the COP and the wiring. I believe that they now come with split loom already over the wires.

Hint #1: You need to remove the spark plug aluminum threaded tips to use the COPs.
Hint #2: The front left stock coil feeds the front right cylinder. The front right stock coil feeds the front left cylinder. This will remain the same using the COPs conversion.

2nulwsy.jpg

Last edited:
I got a set from Blaxmax a few weeks ago and installed them yesterday. Blaxmax was great to work with. On the business side of things everything went seamlessly. I ordered and paid and they showed up well packaged and timely. On the personal end he was very helpful, answering all of my many questions clearly and without pretense. The COPS feel well made and solidly built. Lets face it those are some pretty thin wires and wrapping them up so they don't fell like two thin wires has got to be a challenge. I have a set of the taller cops and I suggest anybody going to cops get the shorter ones. Fitting them over the plugs is a bitch and getting to the plugs is going to be bitchier. Blax is right about plug and play. Disconnect the coils, pull the plug wires, seat the cops, run the wires and plug them in, done. I had trouble actually a lot of trouble getting to the right front coil connector. I'm running an ignitech unit and I think I jammed the connector up against the frame when I put it in. I had a couple of "I'm going to burn this bike down" moments but managed to get it eventually. All I got to do was start it, but damm it cranked right up. It's been sitting for about 6 weeks and I choked it, primed the pump and hit the button. The beast has awakened. It's supposed to hit 70 here in RI today, I'll let everyone know how it rides.

I put about 40 miles on my max yesterday. It's a bit rich but running the best it has since I got it. It's hard to quantify but something feels more powerful. It's crisper, idles better and has a noticeably snappier throttle response. I haven't put enough miles on the clock to evaluate mpg, but I was averaging around 28 to 32 mpg with the coils. I'm anxious to see how much difference the cops make. I left my gap at .32. I recall a post I think from Traumahawk that suggests gaping at .26 or .28 for best fuel economy. Could one of our experts kindly explain why. Intuitively it would seem that a higher energy ignition would allow for a wider gap, bigger spark and more complete combustion. Based upon what I've read this doesn't seem to be the case and I would like to understand why.

Well, i didnt really start experimenting with spark plug gaps in the beginning. I had COPS with resistors and the stock ECU (at that time people really werent certain if you had to run resistors or not....etc) So with resisitors had the gap set at .026. 6 months later I switched to the ignitech ecu. During my search for hp, I fooled around with settings on the ignitech, and spark plug gaps.

Originally the .026-.028 gaps came from the settings for the bikes that the COPS originally came from. So, my question was.....what will these things do? So I started increasing the gaps, and watching fuel mileage and dyno settings as well. So basicly, COPS on the dyno wont add hp (NOW that is ASSUMING that your stock ignition was at 100%) and gaps from .028-.035 have no appreciable increase or decrease of hp. Asher proved that in a series of dyno runs. When I increased the gaps to .040 I had a 10% DECREASE in mileage and the midrange on a dyno run, the A/F went RICH.....so that told me that the spark was blowing out at upper RPM.

So bottom line from what Ive found, backed by Asher, COPS with no resistors, can run a gap of .028-.035. HP is comparable to stock, and mileage as well. The benefit is an up to date ignition system, and a drop of a few pounds of weight.

From what Asher and I found (it is the secondary voltage that fires the plugs) COPS are comparable to the stock coils, so COPS arent really high energy.

From posts that Ive found on the internet a tighter gap with help hp, because the spark has a lesser chance of being blown out, while a wider gap will help with mileage.

I put a set of cops on mine and seat of the pants tells me it runs a lot smoother with no hesitation in any gear anymore, throttle response is soooo much crisper and quicker and starts easier especially when hot and now gets mid 40's in mpg. I use a moose racing spark plug with the same #'s as the stock ngk gapped at 30.

I got a set off of Blaxmax an you cant beat the price or the service for 75 bucks, I had an issue with one of the plug ends on the wires and no questions asked I returned the set an he sent me a replacement . So A+++ on standing by what he sells.

I got a set from Blaxmax also, very nice set. It went together easily although removing the front OEM coils was a knuckle buster if you choose to do it. I set the plugs at .028" and fired it up and reset the carbs as I had the whole thing apart. I dont expect more power but it idles smoother and was easier to tune than before, probably r/t a more consistent idle.

Considering the pros I'm not sure how you can go wrong with this mod, especially for the low price of admission and relative ease of installation. Now while I'm touring and wandering the states I wont have the OEM coil/HT lead weak link in the back of my mind. :clapping:

I'm interested, what's the wait on a set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back