• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cops 4 sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
COPs installed! Finally made some time to get the COPs put on this weekend. I have had them for a few weeks now. Thanks BlaxMax for a quality product, and for the links to the pictures by naughtyG. Made the install fairly easy, 1 1/2 hrs total including refreshment breaks.
I think this fixed a couple of issues I was having but really didn't know it. Bike always seemed to run "OK" with the occasional misfire after getting hot, like you just mentioned. Never thought about the plug wires themselves.

Previous owner had installed these neat looking plug wires that flashed cool lights as they fired. As you can see from the thumbnails, seems that I had one plug wire that was not really firing correctly. Looking at the spark plugs,#1 cylinder wire (on top or left) wasn't burning all the fuel. Do you think a little corrosion was present? COPs eliminated this issue by putting the coil right on the plug, less chance of problems I hear. Maybe when I wash it next time I will be able to get it started again.

No backfires or hot stalling so far. Only had it out for about 1 hr test ride, but it seemed pretty smooth.

The two coils I removed (#1, #3) looked fine, no cracks, not sure about the other two coils. I just left them on the bike. They will probably remain on the bike. Didn't really want to get that deep into the wiring harness to remove the small amount of weight.

Couple of questions:
1. Since my plug wires were not OEM I didn't have any boots to remove from original wires to add to the COPs. Is this for added protection from moisture and vibration?

2. Do I need some extra rubber grommets for support of these?

They seem to standing quite well in the spark valleys without any other support, but thought I would ask.

Anyways thanks again for such a good MOD!
Glad that they are working for you DRWard-The rubber boots from the stock coils are mainly designed for channeling water out of the spark plug hole. I roll them up then push them on and roll them back over the split loom. As for support I believe the cop will work well on its own as they do for the other bikes they come off of. A little extra support I built myself was an extra front heat shield with about 2 inches trimmed off the front turned it around and put it on the back to hold the cops in place there also. Hope that helps.

I recently installed a set of these COPs from BlaxMax. I have an 05 with about 15k miles on her. I was surprised to find out I have 2 cracked coils, as this bike is ridden in the North East where it is not so hot. I thought that the misfires when the bike got hot was some sort of carb problem, but after doing some reading on the forum I found this thread. I'm glad I did cause now my bike is back to normal. Thanks for a quality plug and play modification BlaxMax!

Glad that they are working for you DRWard-The rubber boots from the stock coils are mainly designed for channeling water out of the spark plug hole. I roll them up then push them on and roll them back over the split loom. As for support I believe the cop will work well on its own as they do for the other bikes they come off of. A little extra support I built myself was an extra front heat shield with about 2 inches trimmed off the front turned it around and put it on the back to hold the cops in place there also. Hope that helps.

Pics of that available?

Also, i sent you a PM. Want a set of COPs. Thanks!

Received in the mail, haven't had a chance to install yet. Very well packaged, shipped quickly and the look and feel of everything is great! Can't wait to do the install!

any issues with cops if u have z boost installed for boost open point (0,3000,6000rpm)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

any issues with cops if u have z boost installed for boost open point (0,3000,6000rpm)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

None that i have ever heard- you do have to have cops with the correct ohms though as the ones that show below 2.6-2.8 will make them open later than 6500rpm.

Last week took the vmax for a little vacation. About 1000 miles and 4 days. Rain.... sun.... temps above 30°C and stuck in traffic.

Vmax stays running perfect. Still cant beleve what a super upgrade

Last week took the vmax for a little vacation. About 1000 miles and 4 days. Rain.... sun.... temps above 30°C and stuck in traffic.

Vmax stays running perfect. Still cant beleve what a super upgrade

A few guys from Scotland got out to ride for a few days of course it rained as usual.
550 miles+ and both loved them.
Good to hear.

If anyone is thinking of doing this I highly recommend it. Bike is running much smoother now. Blax stands behind his stuff and if you have any problems he'll take the time to help you figure it out. Thanks again for the help Blax.

If anyone is thinking of doing this I highly recommend it. Bike is running much smoother now. Blax stands behind his stuff and if you have any problems he'll take the time to help you figure it out. Thanks again for the help Blax.

Thank you for the kind words- Glad I could help.

I recently installed a set of these COPs from BlaxMax. I have an 05 with about 15k miles on her. I was surprised to find out I have 2 cracked coils, as this bike is ridden in the North East where it is not so hot. I thought that the misfires when the bike got hot was some sort of carb problem, but after doing some reading on the forum I found this thread. I'm glad I did cause now my bike is back to normal. Thanks for a quality plug and play modification BlaxMax!

You are certainly welcome and thank you for the kind words.

Back