COPs (Mitsubishi version)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bokaeser

Reaction score
Just thought I would ad.

I purchased some "03 04 05 R6 06 07 08 09 R6S YAMAHA PLUG COIL W HARNESS" on ebay.

Looked great apon inspection. I messured the resistance and they all messured 0.8 ohms. I figured this was low but in installed them anyhow.

On first fire up seemed ok. I noticed after a few minutes my tach was no longer working. Shut her down. After a few minutes a restart. Same thing. Seemed to run fine but tach was not working.

Just ordered a few denso's and will re try.

On a side note: All of you that are doing this COP mod, which wire is the "ground".

Let us know how the Denso's work out for ya.

As for the wires, the red wires on the COP plug harness goes to the ignition fuse. They are all virtually tied togther. That's the power (12v) wire. The other wire goes to the TCI unit. The TCI grounds the wires and makes the COP fire. So if you want to call that the 'ground' then that's ok. But it really isn't a ground in itself.

Vinnie

Are the R6 and R1 (03) cops the same, Anybody? If different, is the harness plug the same for denso's and R's?
I've been holding off installing till I get a spare TCI, which just arrived.
Steve

My wiring harness came from a 2007 R1, Mitsubishi COP's. When I got my Denso's from a GSXR, 2007-2008, they plugged right into the same harness. No mods necessary.

I think all the bike COP's use the same plug setup.

Vinnie

The cops and harness I bought off e-bay supposedly came drom a 03 R1. They ohm out at 1.6 ohms each. Anyone ohm the Denso's? hanks for the info guys.
Steve

So rode about 150 miles today with the denso coils.....here's what happened.

Crusing along at 85 in heavy traffic. Noticed that my throttle was not responding. Looked down at the Tach and its jumping around for about five seconds then it shut down. Got to the side of the road and noticed a had blown the 10A fuse. Put my spare in and it blew again in lest than five miles. Fortunately i was able to swap one of the others out and get to an autoparts store to buy some spares.

Here's the really funny part.....I am only at 56 miles and the reserve light comes on. Very early i know. So thinking I've got 0.8 gallons I start heading for home. About ten miles later I run out of gas.

Push, push, push.....fill her up.

I noticed the one of my tail pipes was really wet. So immediately i know I have a float stuck.

Sure enough. I was pumping fuel into one of the carburetors.

My question for all of you. Do you think this would have caused the ignition fuse to blow?

Unfortunetly and propably you have fried TCI and your bike is fireing on 3 cylinders and that why your tacho is not workng.
Propably. Older TCI's likes to be fried.
Propably againg - to many aspects to tell that for sure.

Tach started working again each time I replaced the fuse.

Took it for another spin last night after i cleaned the float mechanism its running perfectly again.

I was going to add the resistors but I'd like to run it again today to see if it happens with the float working properly.

I'll check the plugs after my ride.

Where you pouring gas over any of the spark plug wiring as it was overflowing? That would cause the COP's to stop firing maybe. Could have also started a really big fire! Usually the gas will flow from the vent tubes and then down onto the motor.

Vinnie

Tach started working again each time I replaced the fuse.

Took it for another spin last night after i cleaned the float mechanism its running perfectly again.

I was going to add the resistors but I'd like to run it again today to see if it happens with the float working properly.

I'll check the plugs after my ride.
If its started alive again then you have Chirtine in your harness.
That may be very dificult to find that bad connection.

Good luck.

150 miles today no issues......

as for yesterday, yes gas was running out the overflow.....

no fires

who's Christine?

I don`t think so,
Fuel is a "mechanical" problem.
If it would have caused that, there might have also been a fire.
(thank God there wasn`t)
you`re blowing fuses because there is a short some where in the system or something is touching to ground (one in the same I guess).
Maybe something in the way you wired up your cops harnesses.
I`d pull it all apart and start over and go through what I did and look for an obvious problem etc., insulation or wires touching each other, etc.
I have done two of these jobs already, mine and Ace, (green light blitz) and I took my time and did a thourough job but, I just had a simular problem and it turned out to be the rubber washer in the A/F screw got meshed in the spring and a failing cop. so I rebuilt the carb and borrowed some cops from Fargo (Raging Main) and now the bike runs fine.
Good luck with this one, I hope you get it worked out ok.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Back