Cosmetic mod to stock exhaust...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I've got the original exhaust on my '85. No road rash at all, but a lot of dings and dents (nothing really big) along the sides of the mufflers. D'MAN999 gave me a set of stock pipes, well rashed along the lip at the rear of the mufflers.

I plan on using a Dremel tool to cut a nice flame shaped piece out of the damaged pipes he gave me - I'll be able to use enough of the undamaged skin of the donor pipes to make a flame outline large enough to cover every dent on my pipes. Then a rechrome of these cutouts (or a powdercoat job on them), and attach them to the stock pipes already on the bike. Kinda like a "heat shield". I would determine locations for mounting screws, drill into the flames, and use them as a template to get a couple or three nuts brazed or welded to the stock pipes (after grinding off a tiny bit of chrome so they'll stick...)

A nice glossy black flame on the stock pipes about 8 inches long and 3 or 4 inches wide might look really cool, especially against the chrome, and cost next to nothing. I've been doing a low-buck cosmetic restore on the bike and this would eliminate a lot of the ugliness gained over the years and miles. Use some nice stainless button-head screws to hold the "heat shields" on, and it would really look nice, I think.

Think powder coat would hold up? The flames would space about 1/8" from the mufflers....

Or is the whole idea just a waste of time?

There is a higher heat PC that will work. Some VHT paint would hold up as well too.
Cant wait to see it finished. I'm thinking it will look pretty trick.

Now to figure out if I want the flame done in black or some really eye catching color....

Probably a winter project, but a rainy couple days on a weekend might get it done.
One suggestion I got was to get a couple of those super duper strong Rare Earth magnets. I've seen some of these the size of shirt buttons that are easily strong enough to hold this light piece of heat shield in place. I'd bet it wouldn't even move with a few of these holding it on - and no welding or drilling!

There is a high temp (1,200 degree (1,000 contant)) powder coat offered by PBTP. It only comes in flat black, but it will easily handle your can temps...

Latest posts

Back