Cost of Mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dropped my 2019 off for regular service at my dealer the other day. I asked for the ECU to be removed so I could ship it for flash. I also asked for them to perform air box mod (had to show them the YouTube video). The last thing I asked was for them to do the clutch upgrade with Rick’s retainer as well.
It was $310 with ECU and clutch and then jumped to $850 for air box mod.they had already removed ECU so picking it back up was not an option. They were adding 3.5 hours for the air mod.
Just seemed a bit steep to me. Am I wrong or is this a fair price?

The airbox can be modified in less than an hour IF the bike is completely assembled.

If the fake tank is already off it's probably a 30 minute job tops. I mean look at the video, it's only a few minutes long.

I did watch the video and assumed an hour. I thought they would take the fake tank off when they removed the ECU. After some back and forth he said that if it did not take that long they would adjust the price. It almost looks to me that the mod can be completed without removing air box.
I was shocked at the price to box and ship UPS 2nd day air to Tim, 93$. I ordered the air filter, flash, clutch upgrade with ricks retainer, and plug kit. I used the UPS second day option and it was just a little over 50$ for the return trip.

I did watch the video and assumed an hour. I thought they would take the fake tank off when they removed the ECU. After some back and forth he said that if it did not take that long they would adjust the price. It almost looks to me that the mod can be completed without removing air box.
I was shocked at the price to box and ship UPS 2nd day air to Tim, 93$. I ordered the air filter, flash, clutch upgrade with ricks retainer, and plug kit. I used the UPS second day option and it was just a little over 50$ for the return trip.

Only the top half of the air box has to come off. It's really easy, I did mine when I dropped in a k&n. I do need to go to the dealer again for another rear tire. Not even 3,000 miles lol. I had the DD mod done in under 15 minutes. Took longer to scrape off remnants of the old gasket.

Ya I would be having a serious conversation with your dealer. To be honest you could and should have done this yourself. There is little to no risk of pulling your own ECU and undoing some screws to remove the air box cover. Its always more rewarding for me to do these things myself and if I feel out of my skill level, I turn to youtube/forums like these for an assist. Best of luck.

+1 just disconnect the battery, then turn the key on to rid the system of any stored power, also helps to touch the DISCONNECTED battery cables together. Also you need to de-staticize yourself lol, no joke. I've seen static electricity fry components. It's an easy job, if your doing the air box mod you'll be right there at the ECU.

I do have brackets for those wanting to eliminate the upper half of the box. I also have the blue filters (and can get K&N's but they don't give much discount on them to dealers even lol).

Attachments

• Gen 2 Filter Bracket - Blue Filter.jpg
    Gen 2 Filter Bracket - Blue Filter.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back