Cost to benefit...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Trying to decide between doing Racetech (or progressive) spring kits, with a race tech emulator, or fitting R1 forks to the bike. Which in your mind is the better bang for the buck?

The price is going to be a lot higher for the fork set up. For $1400 you can get a bolt on USD set up from Sean or Tom at C.O.O. Doi ng it yourself,it's not a bolt on upgrade. You need custom trees,There are height issues to adress, fender mounting,if you want vmax parts. Brakes, wheel. The kits come with everything engineered for you. Sprung right,ect.
The other alternitive, progreesive springs and emulators are going to be a fast install and cheaper.

How much of a performance difference will I notice between the two options that you listed though?

I guess that depends how you ride. If you retain the OE shocks and wheels then I suspect the benefit will be minimal.

In the real world I suspect most wouldn't notice the difference as either front end could out perform the rider.

The money toy save with the Racetech option could be used to uprate the rear shock and perhaps some 17" wheels.

In my book that wold be a far better option!

I think Captain Kyle has a complete set
of forks with the upgraded parts you are seeking. Give him a try!

How much of a performance difference will I notice between the two options that you listed though?
I guess I didn't really answer your question. Just my opinion, but sport bike forks are going to be superior in handling. And the bling factor is high. The older Gen 1's will see the most improvement.

Changing the Springs, adding Emulators and lowering 1" will do great things. Quality Rear Shocks and Frame Braces then = Superb Handling. IMHO....

You can get good handling and braking from the original forks as has been noted. I would not say that the handling from the USD is light years beyond what you can get out of the OEM but they are more rigid, usually have better brakes already, and can get you the radial front wheel as part of that upgrade. But, of course they are more expensive. I know I have a few triples sets around here including a chromed set (I believe is listed in the sale thread). I am hoping to get back to work on a cheaper inverted alternative too.

Like it's been said, stock forks can be made to good to very good performing suspension system. It takes a bit of work to get it set for you but when you do you will be rewarded with a setup that most of us will not get the full benefit from. I'm no Valentino Rossi for sure but I have a very good working early fork setup (IMO).
Now the bling factor and the inherent benefits from a modern sportbike sutup properly will easily out perform any modified stock fork setup, and look better doing it. It all comes down what you like and how much to spend for your purposes.

Any idea how much I would typically spend to fully install an aftermarket set of forks? I am going to try to compare the overall cost to include putting aftermarket brakes on the stock forks and see where I am total cost vs. performance.

Any idea how much I would typically spend to fully install an aftermarket set of forks? I am going to try to compare the overall cost to include putting aftermarket brakes on the stock forks and see where I am total cost vs. performance.

Last I checked, $1400 would do it.

Does that $1400 buy, in your opinion, a noticeable difference in performance and handling over say the 500 it would take to install a race tech shocks and emulator?

I have progressive springs lowered 1inch internally. I noticed a nice difference from stock. But if you don't have radial tires yet put your money towards that first. That is by far the best mod for handling you can do for your bike. It's not the cheapest but there are a few options. I bought a set of carrezzera rims from Sean and I absolutely love them. They are so light and are easy on the eye as well. I believe he only has a few sets left and when they get sold you will not be able to get a new set anymore. He had the manufacturer make him 50 sets about 2 years ago and when they are gone there gone. They are anodized a color of your choice or if your pockets are deep you can get them chromed as well.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

+1 on the Carro's. Any weight saving on the unsprung makes a nice difference to the handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost $500 for Race-Tech springs and emulators. More like $200-$250 or so unless they have gone up considerably since I bought them. I have both on my current Max and had Progressive springs on my previous Max. Just be sure you get the correct springs for your weight/riding style. I got the 1.0 springs which are too HD for my weight. I should have got the .95 or .90 springs. Prefer the Race-Tech setup but the Progressive springs can be had for around $100. I have an 18" Kosman rear wheel and stock front wheel which is the least expensive way to go radials. If I had the money I would get a set of the Carr's from Sean but just can't do that in my current financial situation.

Every other solution cost more so it is up to you on how much you want to spend.

I have progressive springs lowered 1inch internally. I noticed a nice difference from stock. But if you don't have radial tires yet put your money towards that first. That is by far the best mod for handling you can do for your bike. It's not the cheapest but there are a few options. I bought a set of carrezzera rims from Sean and I absolutely love them. They are so light and are easy on the eye as well. I believe he only has a few sets left and when they get sold you will not be able to get a new set anymore. He had the manufacturer make him 50 sets about 2 years ago and when they are gone there gone. They are anodized a color of your choice or if your pockets are deep you can get them chromed as well.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Good point Bro.+1

In regards to the Kosman wheel widening you had done, how much did it cost you if you dont mind my asking?

Also, my understanding is that the benefit of radial wheels was more based on weight. Am I completely off base?

Well....every watch a 60's movie, and you see those cars go around a corner, and you actually see the side walls of the tires give and flex? Thats because they are bias ply tires....just like whats on a stock Vmax. Radials, have a shorter and stiffer side wall, and so no flex, and you get better cornering, and better ride. Usually the hi performance radials are usually lighter in weight as well.

Well....every watch a 60's movie, and you see those cars go around a corner, and you actually see the side walls of the tires give and flex? Thats because they are bias ply tires....just like whats on a stock Vmax. Radials, have a shorter and stiffer side wall, and so no flex, and you get better cornering, and better ride. Usually the hi performance radials are usually lighter in weight as well.
Actually Radial Sidewalls flex More than stiffer Bias Ply sidewalls.
Radial Tire Advantages
The advantages of radial tires over bias ply tires include:

• Flexible sidewalls.
  • Reduced fuel consumption due to less rolling resistance.
  • A softer ride because of the layout of the tire's plies and because of the flex of the sidewalls, assuring more stable contact with the road service and a softer ride.
  • Less vibration.
  • Extended tire life due to less heat generated by the tire
Radial Tire Disadvantages

The disadvantages of radial tires when compared to a bias ply tire include:

• Poor transport handling, since low lateral stiffness causes the tire sway to increase as the speed of the vehicle increases.
  • Increased vulnerability to abuse when overloaded or under-inflated. The sidewall tends to bulge which could cause damage and puncture.
  • A ply layout that causes the radial tire to follow a wheeltrack more consistently than a bias ply tire.
The radial tire is more expensive than a bias ply tire which may be considered as a disadvantage. However, the radial tire lasts longer and this results in the savings of money over the long run.
From here:
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-radial-tires

Back