couple problems with my new v max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattheww1377

Reaction score
I have an 05 v max. It runs pretty rich, sometimes has a slight hesitation when you gap it wide open on the road( at cruising speeds of 65-80) the plugs seamed a lil black so put new ones in and didn't help at all. The bike has a jet kit ( before me no idea what size) k&n, and a UFO street pro slash cuts. I have heard the maxes all run a lil rich but any ideas where to start? It will also surge sometimes between 9000 and 11000, like it is running out of fuel but it shows to be too rich? The worst problem is at speeds over 130 it feels like the bike has flat tires. It weaves or wobbles . Jon at ufo said it was the washer in the tree, changed it around and no change. Tires are new and at the right pressure. Dropped the forks (actually raised them in the riser) 3/8" and this helped a little. what could it be . scared to go over 140 because it feels bad un easy. any advice would be very helpful.

Between 9000 and 11000 RPM?
I hope it's a seriously modified engine!

I'm guessing you got a sweet V-max there! :biglaugh:

I have an all stock 05 with 20,000 miles on it and it runs like a sweet heart, no hesitation, bogging, just flawless.

I would say you need an experienced tuner to get the carbs set right and dialed in. I have resisted the temptation to change the exhaust etc. because I didn't want the problems that come with it, would have loved the Marks Exhaust though.

As to the wobble, seems to be a regular problem at high speeds with alot of bikes, and for sure the Max.

There is a great You Tube by Mr. Morley on adjusting the front fork bearing and Dingy on this site has made the tool to do it well, try adjusting the front forks for that wobble.

Be careful, a wobble at 130 can kill you.

O

"scared to go over 140 because it feels bad"

Seeing as top speed is stock-149 mph you are at the top end of performance. Do fork springs, maybe replace the head bearings, new rear shocks, check the swingarm pivot, and that should help. More than that, would be an USD front fork & some Ohlins shocks, maybe a braced/extended swingarm & radial tires in 17" size, plus frame bracing, but you could but a used bike for what you would probably need to spend for that.

These bikes aren't really meant for the top-end anyways, but you can make it less noticeable or eliminate it by what others have described along these lines, above. "Search" function for posts!

I would add frame braces to what has been suggested with a +1 to Morleys video on the steering head bearings. What pressures are you running in the tires and what brand / model tires ?

The engine is stock i suppose, it runs the high end on the tach just fine most of the time.. I run the bike on the street hard alot.. It doesn't sound like most of the maxes i have seen at idle it sounds more like a big cammed chevy small block. It might have a cam upgrade, I don't really know. Should i not run the engine that high if it is stock? The problems just came around on the fuel ? a few hundred miles ago. The wobble ( more of a sway back and forth) started after i put new tires on ( the v boost was un hooked so the bike was about 120 on the top side, maybe it was faster but it never seamed to go over 120) The tires are the new Excedra max's . I run them at 38 lbs (they say 40 lbs. max cold) I have run them at as low as 26 lbs. max trying to figure out what it is and there was no change in the wobble. The only thing that has helped any is the forks being moved 3/8"...Maybe this will help out... I am new to maxes but not bikes and have never had a wobble problem in the 22 years i have been riding .

You need to tear into the triple trees and make absolutely sure your head bearings are in good condition. If they have ANY markings or roughness they must be renewed. Max is heavy and quite hard on those bearings.

IMHO the other biggest problem of Max when it comes to the high speed wobble is that big tall rear tire - if you're gonna spend a lot of time above 120mph you might want to invest into a 17 or 18" rear wheel and go radial tires. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone running those and still having a wobble (unless of course the head bearings are totally fubar).

I'd also say you don't want to spend much time above 9500 rpm - that's red zone and will damage the motor quicker than you think.

my 06 seemed to top out...power wise around 8000 rpm. dont the stock bikes have a rev limiter???:ummm:

saw the vid, Jon said also to tear the top tree off and take the top nut and lock off pull the washer then put the nut on then the washer and last the lock( so it doesn't get loose again) it did bounce the forks before but it doesn't now but still the wobble. Thanks for the vid though it would be a great help had i not have known to try it already.. This sight seams like a world of info..

it does seam to studder ( like a rev limiter) just past 11,000 when running right... I did not know not to rev the engines that high as if you listen to it it sounds like and still pulls great in the high range. Thanks as i have enough on my plate trying to like this thing without having to build an engine for it..

it does seam to studder ( like a rev limiter) just past 11,000 when running right...

I'll say, the redline is 8500rpm. I'd take a look at your oil to see if there is anything in it.

Yamaha never did ad a rev limiter to the ignition for some reason. Stockers really don't like high revs on a regular basis, as you described.

just changed a couple hundred miles ago, I use royal purple and the oil still looked new but i change it on a reg. basis anyway.. Thanks guys..

My '85 loves to rev like my fz1....don't know 'bout the newer maxes, but mine redlined at 9500rpm, will pull to 10k easy, and shuts down at about 11k. That's why I got the dyna 3000 for the rev limiter which I set at 10k, shift light at9500.....it does have a shudder at 11k but it's not a limiter....probably gasping for air:biglaugh:
All the dyne charts I see have the max peaking at 9300 and dropping off at 10500, so if you guys aren't running your bikes up to at least 9500 your missing a whole new world.

Front wobble like they all said check the bearings first.....my bud with a '03 got it at 115mph everytIme...added a UFO fork brace and puT 4 more lbs of air in the tires over recommended and he got 25mph more and now only wobbles sometimes.
You sound like you have the weave....progressive springs and shocks , frame brace or solid mounts should help that out but not cure it.
Any other stuff will cost you your first born.

I still get the weave at about 145 speedo when the winds blowing the wrong
way:ummm:

I ride my max to the limit every time I saddle it,ever since I got it with 18k miles...I now have 37k on her and she still runs stronger than when I got her, no leaks, and just running a full exhaust with the dyna 3000

Back