Couple questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
A couple questions for the group:

- What type/brand of grease is recommended for the axles? Front and rear. I'm going to have both wheels off this week, so figure I might as well lube them up!
- I need to swap my rotors (both front and rear) over to new wheels, I've read from different people that they have had varying degrees of success by starting to remove the bolts with a 'Manual Impact wrench'. Is that the one that you hit with a hammer? Any other suggestions for this? I do have a cordless impact driver and I can get my hands on the hand held hammered impact driver.
- For the rotor re-install, should I use some lock-tite? What color, and how much? A little dab'l do ya?
- replacing gaskets, what do you all use or suggest that I use to hold the gasket in place while fitting the covers?

I think that's it... Once again, thank you all! :punk:

Lithium soap base grease.... Auto Parts Store..

The rotor bolts on my 85 front wheel came off with a ratchet and Allen Socket.

Blue Loctite. You'll be able to see how much was originally used...

Simple as Vaseline or as complex as Black RTV. Personal CHOICE.

Good Luck....

Everything Grumpy said, except I don't use Loctite on my rotor bolts. Torque them to spec and they will not back out. Loctite is a wee bit of overkill IMHO.

I like to lay them flat (for max leverage) and use a DeWalt 18V to break the rotor bolts loose....seems like that initial snap is what gets them started.

Also use a 2 x 4 frame box to rest the wheel/tire on to protect the down side rotor.

I've heard warning about Antisieze made in China and sold at one of the main auto parts stores.. The "Real Thing" is good....

Thanx for adding the 2 X 4 Box to the list....

+1 an all said.
'Cept I broke the brake rotor bolts loose using a small/medium visegrip. I just clamped it on and gave a pull and loose they were. then I finished up with an allen wrench.

Alright, you've now successfully confused me.... doesn't take much sometimes.... my first thought was "How the hell did you get a set of vice grips on the bolt?" but I am assuming you used vice grips clamped onto an allen wrench? :ummm:

+1 an all said.
'Cept I broke the brake rotor bolts loose using a small/medium visegrip. I just clamped it on and gave a pull and loose they were. then I finished up with an allen wrench.

Use Sean's technique: A few whacks with the manual impact driver then finish up with your electric.

Take a look at the thread with my....um....experience :bang head:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12146

As for the locktite, you can use it if you want, but if you do, only put a little dab up near the top of the threads (nearest the head). This will keep the locktite from being spread all the way up the threads as you screw the bolt into the wheel.

I would also recommend changing out the bolts. All of the bolts that came out of my rotors (2007 with barely 2K on the clock) showed signs of the head beginning to yield even after using Sean's method.
FYI: It looked like they literally dipped my rotor bolts in locktite before they installed them. They were fully coated from end to end.

I saw your thread :bang head: and don't want to repeat that!! :rofl_200::clapping:

Use Sean's technique: A few whacks with the manual impact driver then finish up with your electric.

Take a look at the thread with my....um....experience :bang head:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12146

As for the locktite, you can use it if you want, but if you do, only put a little dab up near the top of the threads (nearest the head). This will keep the locktite from being spread all the way up the threads as you screw the bolt into the wheel.

I would also recommend changing out the bolts. All of the bolts that came out of my rotors (2007 with barely 2K on the clock) showed signs of the head beginning to yield even after using Sean's method.
FYI: It looked like they literally dipped my rotor bolts in locktite before they installed them. They were fully coated from end to end.

I vote for the hand impact first. I just changed my rotors on my '92 for larger ones & the hand impact did the job better than the air impact did on my '87 FZR1000 when i recently did a rotor. As for thread locker, i use one drop of blue at the bottom of the thread, not next to the head. I also use like Kyle the antiseize for fasteners, the Permatex silver stuff. Makes a mess but protects the threads like the caliper bolts to the stanchions(sliders).

Latest posts

Back