Couple quick questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
What are the cylinder numbers? Front left _ Rear left _ Front right _ Rear right _

When I give it gas and totally let off, like a rev at idle to 4k, it slowly goes back to 1k like I'm backing off the throttle instead of completely letting off. Does this mean I am running rich?

The reason I'm asking is my bike was running rough, sounded like misfire. The back right plug was pretty much black and the other 3 were greyish-white. I changed plugs and ensured the connection to the coil was tight and to the plug was tight. Solved misfire.

Also, at WOT only in 3rd gear my bike seems to cut off at exactly 7500 RPM for like a split second

Hanging idle is typically lean. Could be plugged up piolt jets. Believe it or not, I had a hanging idle issue that was caused by the synch being way off.

Thanks, I have a carb synch to do tomorrow and I'm gonna check my idle mix screws too. I had the turns noted by cylinder, but I forgot the order! LOL. Added a couple ounces of B12 chemtool and the return to idle seemed to be partially fixed. It was in impound for a month and I've noticed little things were adjusted (tucked with) when I got it back. Wouldn't be surprised if they took off the airbox...

It's only in 3rd gear. At 7500 rpm. And it does it again at like 8300. Is my 3rd gear damaged or going out??

It's only in 3rd gear. At 7500 rpm. And it does it again at like 8300. Is my 3rd gear damaged or going out??

Nah that wouldnt make it cut off.. id say under that specific load on the engine in 3rd gear its not getting the right fuel air mixture as its all boiling down check carbs maybe do pea shooter technic.. im not expert just what id do.. before you tare into carbs find out iff u have vacum leak.. use carb cleaner spray around hose and boot connections it will suck in cleaner and bog engine down if you have a leak easiest way I've found to pin point leaks. With the hanging idle like stated before running lean or vacuum leak id start with searching vacuum leak and drain fuel bowls in a clean glass jar see if theres any debri.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Nah that wouldnt make it cut off.. id say under that specific load on the engine in 3rd gear its not getting the right fuel air mixture as its all boiling down check carbs maybe do pea shooter technic.. im not expert just what id do.. before you tare into carbs find out iff u have vacum leak.. use carb cleaner spray around hose and boot connections it will suck in cleaner and bog engine down if you have a leak easiest way I've found to pin point leaks. With the hanging idle like stated before running lean or vacuum leak id start with searching vacuum leak and drain fuel bowls in a clean glass jar see if theres any debri.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Alright, so I went to do the pea shooter. Right side Mix screws are not turning and I have stripped them..... Also, when I drop the carb cleaner down the PAJ on the right sides, it does nothing. When I drop it in the left carbs, the idle bogs down.

I have no idea how I am going to replace the mix screws as I have almost zero knowledge of the mechanics of a carburetor. All I ever done to my carbs is the pea shooter. I really feel helpless, and being that my bike is my primary vehicle I am screwed....

FML

Tried synching my carbs too. Left 2 were way off, right 2 just slightly. When trying to synch the left-right my right side is pulling incredibly more vacuum than the right. No matter how much iI adjust the screw, they ddon't balance. The idle changes greatly from almost stalling to around 3k when adjusting the left-right synch but the vacuum is always immense on my right 2.

I want to push it off a cliff...

I never synced carbs.. message dannymax he is good with these carbs. To be honest the mixture screws being stripped aint good. I would find the smallest easy out I could and try to get it out. If u have zero mechanical skills. Start a thread saying you you need help with carbs. Someone on hes has got to be close enough if not even suckit up and pay ship them to dannymax

Shipping em off to be tinkered with would be ok if I had another way to and from work.. our other car blew a head gasket..

Shipping em off to be tinkered with would be ok if I had another way to and from work.. our other car blew a head gasket..

If you contact Sean or Dan, I would think either would be willing to ship you a set of loaner carbs that could be installed. Then, you could ship your carbs to them for repair. You would only be down for the amount of time it takes to swap.

Third gear is gone. I went to ride to my in-laws today and when I shifted into 3rd, clicking and clacking. Rpms go up, bike slows down. I made it there and back shifting from 2nd to 4th.

^ That sucks.
You should talk to Sean Morley about getting a set of his undercut gears.

Back