Crack in rear housing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unblind

Reaction score
If this needs to be moved to a different thread by all means please do.
Just wasn't sure where to put it, since it's not real technical.

Anyway I have some what seem to be cracks in the rear housing , and was wondering if anyone has seen similar?
It certainly has me a little concerned, but it doesn't leak at all.
Kinda worried about the integrity of the unit overall and if this will get worse?
Should I replace it?
Couple of pics, dirty but you see what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
If this needs to be moved to a different thread by all means please do.
Just wasn't sure where to put it, since it's not real technical.

Anyway I have some what seem to be cracks in the rear housing , and was wondering if anyone has seen similar?
It certainly has me a little concerned, but it doesn't leak at all.
Kinda worried about the integrity of the unit overall and if this will get worse?
Should I replace it?
Couple of pics, dirty but you see what I am talking about.

Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.
IMO

Without seeing it in person, I'm with Prezmek. That would be the worst cracking I personally seen. If it is not leaking, I can't see how it cannot be a casting flaw. First sign of leaking it goes though. Ring and pinion probably still good though and can be sold to a Venture rider to offset cost of a new pumpkin.

Sand it down a little with some fine sandpaper. If its a casting flaw, it will go away. If it doesn't disappear then its a crack.

It's a casting flaw. Some units were cleaned up better then others.

Sean

That's why this place is great. :punk:
I didn't even think of it being the poor casting finish.
Thanks for all the input.

That's why this place is great. :punk:
I didn't even think of it being the poor casting finish.
Thanks for all the input.

a powdercoated arm and a painted diff would sure get rid of any casting marks!

What not everyone has sanded all the casting flash off of there parts and repainted or powdercoated them? I even sand my grab rails, levers and shift lever before coating or polishing because Yamaha does such a poor job of the intial castings.

It's a casting flaw. Some units were cleaned up better then others.

Sean

07 Max

Was cleaning the underneath side of the final gear housing when I notice imperfection in the silver paint on the bottom side within three inches of either side of the drain plug area. Some small paint chips along with several raised lines in the paint as if the casting did not have a smooth surface prep before painting.

However, the top areas are pristine and shine like a dime in a goat's ass; could this also be possible signs of stress cracks? Has anyone heard or had any issues with the outside gear housing? Could several of you folks look at your bike and see if there are similar marks as shown in the attached pictures would be helpful as well?

Attachments

• IMGP0497.JPG
    IMGP0497.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP0498.JPG
    IMGP0498.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP0499.JPG
    IMGP0499.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
When I first looked at the flaws, I could not believe what could cause this to happen. Now remembering how castings are made with sand molds it makes more sense on how the surface got this way. Because this was on the bottom side the manufacture made no attempt to smooth this area out.

Thanks Sean for helping confirm this is a normal appearance.:worthy:

Back