Crack in starter clutch plate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 79399

Reaction score
Help please. New member in need of advice. Crack in plate from roller spring retainer hole to outside of plate all the way through the plate. I saw the stock replacement starter clutch kit available on Morely Muscle site. What comes with the kit? Where should I source the gaskets and whatever else I might need to put it back together. Copper secondary gear cover lower bolt seal, any o-rings needed? I also need one of the stator retainer Philips head screws, one of mine was missing when I removed the stator cover.
David in Dayton, TX
IMG_2244.JPG

Thanks go out to Sean; with his guidance I will be receiving shortly all the needed parts to repair/replace the damaged parts and get my '88 stock bike back on the road. If anyone noticed the truck behind it that is a 1965 Ford Econoline pick up model. I own several old odd forgotten vehicles.

I'm so new to this I can't seem to get a post on the forum so if anyone of you can help please email your advice to [email protected] OK I own 2 Vmaxes an 89 that is literally worn out with over 107k on the clock and a 93 Vmax that I rode home & have never been able to ride since due to the starter clutch going out in my garage . I had to replace the miserable starter clutch on the 89 and thought I knew what I was in for . Wrong again ! No matter what , the flywheel / rotor would NOT break loose from the crankshaft ! It took 6 months of constant pressure using three differant pullers , using moderate heat with lite hammering as directed by the mechanic at the local Yamaha store that loaned me there puller which was exactly like the one I own and of course it did nothing either so I returned it back to them . I had so much applied pressure on it that I ended up breaking & replacing puller bolts , flared the threads onthe end of the crank . This has to be the design of the devil I say ! So when it finally let loose 6 months down the road it startled the crap out of me because I was standing in the garage and the boom sounded like I fired a round out of my 9mm pistol & I had no clue as to WTF happened . OK , now being filled with joy I began thinking I would finally ride this monster come spring , Wrong again ! After reassembly it won't start because I now have no spark at any of the 4 spark plugs and I need all the advice & help I can get from the great & helpful V Max owners on the forum . I apologize for reaching out this way & I probably would get closer to the help I need If I knew how to post this on the forum but like I said I'm new to this , I've never been on a forum before and I finally seen the word return post so I did so in good faith that someone out there would help me or at least forward this to someone that might know what to do . If I knew how to navigate I would have directed this to electrical so please feel free to do so THANK YOU MUCH VERY MUCH .........................

Philips head screws, one of mine was missing when I removed the stator cover.
NB: They are not Phillips but JIS heads and having the correct driver would be a good purchase.
IMO it would make sense to replace with Allen head screws as this would allow you to more easily torque the fasteners to the correct value.

So when it finally let loose 6 months down the road it startled the crap out of me because I was standing in the garage and the boom sounded like I fired a round out of my 9mm pistol & I had no clue as to WTF happened .
The most likely reason you had so much agg. was probably because there was too much flex in the pullers you were using which effectively made it a big spring.
As you have discovered, when all that energy is released one of the by products is a big bang!.

Should there be a next time suggest you use something like that on the attachment. The loudest noise you will probably hear is the 'clunk' as it falls onto the floor.
After reassembly it won't start because I now have no spark at any of the 4 spark plugs and I need all the advice & help I can get from the great & helpful V Max owners on the forum .
See No spark after starter clutch replacement

Attachments

• Modified flywheel puller.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 1
A special THANKS to Midnight Max for the puller modification info as I'm almost positive I will be repeating the dreaded process of flywheel removal again . I only hope & pray to enjoy the Max more than the maintanance

Back