Crankcase breather covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
Here's the first one as an example of what's being made right now.
Made from stainless and polished, I'm probably going to etch a "V4" logo on them or most of them.
Although stainless is a difficult material to work with you can't beat it for a trouble free surface as it won't corrode and can be polished to a mirror finish and never peel or scratch like chrome.

Attachments

• 046 (Large).jpg
    046 (Large).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 007 (Large).jpg
    007 (Large).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 011 (Large).jpg
    011 (Large).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 012 (Large).jpg
    012 (Large).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 129
+1 wow with "v4" etched in and the fact that the original off-the-shelf ones are discontinued, your covers will truly be a one of a kind custom. Without the skills and resource, I'm dependent upon master craftsmen like yourself and Sean's team to reproduce them. Btw sean how is your effort coming?

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I would assume these are the ones being made for you Sean, am I correct? Any idea of what their gonna cost yet? Just let me know if these are the same ones your having made Sean I dont want to get these if their not the ones you are having made. But if memory serves me Jedi is your machinist right? Let me know, Thanks

yes, sean offered to reproduce a set for us. are yours the initial attempt for this effort?

custommax, i'm curious as to what you're going to do with the hoses that you have that come through each side? hopefully they can "flex" over these covers?

Jedi was chosen for this effort and so far what you see is what we'll get! I have to get together with him and see what the pricing is going to be. We have a number of places we use for various projects when we don't have the time or resources to the work ourselves.

Someday I'll break down and invest in a nice NC machine but until I hit the lotto it's not going to be any day soon. We'll make the prototypes on a lot of items then get them reproduced and refined!

Jedi is also working on adjustable preload caps for us as well as the clamps needed for the frame braces so we can complete the weld work here.

Sean

who better than jedi to take on this? cool cool cool.
so jedi, you mentioned that you were gonna etch in "V4". the originals were either smooth or ball milled. how hard is it to etch? the reason i ask is that having something other than the smooth or ball milled, would truly CUSTOMIZE the piece and offer the owner "bragging rights" over the few who currently sport the breather covers. I'm thinking once sets are available, that instead of going with "ball milled" as I had originally wanted, I would go with smooth and etch in a personal design.

When I designed them I had a "V4" logo etched during the laser cutting process,
what your looking at started out as a flat sheet of stainless.
Unfortunately they didn't make the imprint deep enough and would soon disappear when polished. So what we did was persevere with the process and found a company down the road who can etch anything we want with a chemical process.
Individual designs can be done for sure but the problem there is a one off setup design charge that would be imposed, hence the reason for coming up with say the "V4" logo and doing a bunch of them.

I don't have any ideas on costing yet but please remember these have been fabricated and a lot of work goes into it.
Sean has been carrying our stuff as it's much more convenient for me to deal with one person and probably much more convenient for you guys to get shipped from him when he's got the stuff in stock.

The smooth design are fine by me, these are such a rare hard to get item that no matter what the design is, its already custom. Unless we could come up with one design that everyone agrees to then it would be more cost effective to go with it. Maybe even the Vmaxforum logo if Buster doesn't mind or even some smooth( no logo) and others with either V4 or the tuning forks or the above mentioned but whenever or whatever they are I think they'd be a rare custom item. So keep me posted and I'm in. Thanks, Ed

custommax, i'm curious as to what you're going to do with the hoses that you have that come through each side? hopefully they can "flex" over these covers?

Those are my fuel lines that run to my Vgas carbs it shouldn't be a problem at all. But thanks.

Hoses are not an issue, the covers do not interfere with anything.

Custommax has an excellent point. beggers shouldn't be choosers. I'll be happy with smooth. Man I hope I can afford them.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Can't tell from the pics, how do these attach? I'm sure I will get a set, already have your polished faux stacks, engine guards and just got your wave rotor brake adapter. Super high qualify fabrication on all of it.

Can't tell from the pics, how do these attach? I'm sure I will get a set, already have your polished faux stacks, engine guards and just got your wave rotor brake adapter. Super high qualify fabrication on all of it.

There will be a tube stanchion and a new bolt supplied to allow it to fit to the original outer cap screw position.

jedi- "Although stainless is a difficult material to work with said:
Amen to that. A thought everyone should take into consideration, when fabricating or purchasing aftermarket parts.
No constant maintenance like aluminum, no potential cracking or peeling, like chrome.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back