Crankcase Breather Housing - Leaking Coolant?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smarangin

Reaction score
Apparently coolant is leaking from the crankcase breather housing. If I ride like this, is it possible for air and oil to mix in there somehow?

Its slightly possible right know but, it may happen.

Theres a little pipe inside there with two small orings.
Also the breather housing gasket there.

Easy to replace, carbs need to go off.

Ya better do this.

Any idea how long it may last? Will it be ok to ride for a few months? I just ordered front downpipes, complete thermostat assembly, drain valve and elbow pipe with all the seals and nuts. And now this??? :ummm: :bang head:

Here is a picture of the leak. It's really hard to see, it only leaks a little when it's been standing for 1-2 weeks.

Attachments

• 1 (Large).jpg
    1 (Large).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 63
Just out of the bolt at the end? It could leak into the oil but just keep an eye on it. The oil will turn milky if it gets contaminated by the coolant.

Sean

Will the milky colour be visible on the oil level visor glass? Because I check it regularly and it's always been black.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep an eye on that one then... I'm planning a carb clean and balancing, and since the carbs have to be taken off I'll fix this as well. When it stops snowing.

No problem. There are 2 rubber o-rings/gaskets that are sandwiched in that assembly (both of which I have on hand). You may have to take off the intake too but if the carbs are off that isn't all that hard.

Sean

I normally do not use any or just a bad of silicon on the right rear upper and left front upper bolt. Those are the only ones going in where there is any oil and it is not a pressurized location so nothing to really push the oil out.

Sean

Just a quick update on the situation: Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, and especially Sean Morley for the invaluable advice. Just collected my Vmax from the local workshop, it is now fitted with brand new Delkevic front downpipes and thermostat housing, assembly, drain valve and elbow pipe. It doesn't seem to leak coolant from the breather housing anymore, or in fact from anywhere else :) However I'll be keeping an eye on it, if it starts again I'll send Sean a PM for the gaskets. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back