Cranks but not starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ven

Reaction score
Hi,

I just cannot figure it out. The bike (vmax 1200, 1994) died on me while riding from work. There is no spark so I checked the pick-up coil (98 ohm), new battery (> 12.7V), neutral switch ok, sides stand switch ok, clutch switch ok, all connectors cleaned, all fuses ok. Is there a way to test CDI box somehow perhaps? If anyone had a similar issue, I would really appreciate any info at this point :-(

Last edited:
Hi,

I just cannot figure it out. The bike (vmax 1200, 1994) died on me while riding from work. There is no spark so I checked the pick-up coil (98 ohm), new battery (> 12.7V), neutral switch ok, sides stand switch ok, clutch switch ok, all connectors cleaned, all fuses ok. Is there a way to test CDI box somehow perhaps? If anyone had a similar issue, I would really appreciate any info at this point :
Sounds like the fuel line block under the carbs got gummed up and is cutting off your fuel... You have to remove the carbs to get to it and then clean out the four block lines with the right sized wire reemer... Pain in the arse job, but needs to be done every once in a while to keep the fuel lines totally clear...

Last edited:
Sounds like the fuel line block under the carbs got gummed up and is cutting off your fuel... You have to remove the carbs to get to it and then clean out the four block lines with the right sized wire reemer... Pain in the arse job, but needs to be done every once in a while to keep the fuel lines totally clear...
Thank you for the tip. I have spark now and I removed carbs last week and now I am waiting for the kit to rebuild them and see after how it goes.

I am waiting for the kit to rebuild them
I hope you aren't using the generic ebay kits! Pretty-much everybody who posts on-here, who has purchased and installed them has been dissatisfied with the carburetion results.

I recommend either OEM (pricey, but no Q.C. issues) or K&L like this kit:
VMax K-L carb kit.png
VMax carb kit.jpg

My experience after 29 years of VMax ownership and multiple bikes, is that the sitting-idle, not used VMax is a recipe for plugged pilot jets. I don't care how-many filters of whatever type you have, the ethanol up to 15% gasoline of today (VMaxes were designed to operate on regular, if you have a stock internals bike, using premium is a waste of your $) will cause the pilot jets to become partially or totally obstructed, given enough idle time. Additives can help to prevent this, but if I was going to not use my Vmax for > 2 weeks, I'd drain the float bowls, and fill the gas tank. If it was going to be a month or longer, I'd use an additive to help prevent gum formation.

Last edited:
Is this what you're saying is the blockage point?

VMax carb fuel inlet.01.png

I hope you aren't using the generic ebay kits! Pretty-much everybody who posts on-here, who has purchased and installed them has been dissatisfied with the carburetion results.

I recommend either OEM (pricey, but no Q.C. issues) or K&L like this kit:
View attachment 85933
View attachment 85934

My experience after 29 years of VMax ownership and multiple bikes, is that the sitting-idle, not used VMax is a recipe for plugged pilot jets. I don't care how-many filters of whatever type you have, the ethanol up to 15% gasoline of today (VMaxes were designed to operate on regular, if you have a stock internals bike, using premium is a waste of your $) will cause the pilot jets to become partially or totally obstructed, given enough idle time. Additives can help to prevent this, but if I was going to not use my Vmax for > 2 weeks, I'd drain the float bowls, and fill the gas tank. If it was going to be a month or longer, I'd use an additive to help prevent gum formation.
So, I rebuild carbs, I get fuel into cylinders and I have spark on all four, all good there. The problem with starting however remains - it is like the engine seems to have a problem to turn over - like in slow motion or like something hinder it turning over (fully charged and new battery, tried even a car battery). The only thing I have not yet looked at is the stater, the starter clutch seems to be ok - no loosen screws. I would greatly appreciate any input at this point, the bike just stands there for a few months now

Check your electrical connections. Remove the ground connections and clean them and the + one also.

Check your electrical connections. Remove the ground connections and clean them and the + one also.
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that I went through all the connections as well.

What did you do to get spark to return? You might also try changing plugs. If it was spinning over without spark they could have become fouled. Did you check spark at all 4 cylinders? Good luck.

Back