Crash 2003 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2459mike

Reaction score
Screenshot_20190630-203937_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20190630-203943_Facebook.jpg I just pick up a wreck 2003 the frame is bent is there a difference from 03-07 then 85-98 I was looking on Ebay an they they have them in these groups any help be great I Google it an got nothing .

About the only things I know for frame differences is the spin-on oil filter front removable frame member. I think it was from '96-'07. As far as I know, a 1985 engine fits a 2007 frame and vice versa, w/the replacement of that aforementioned oil filter brace.

They also added the helmet holder in later years, but that shouldn't affect an engine swap.

You might try Computrack for frame straightening, put your location in your info under your avatar pic & it will help people to provide advice.

Frames are the same. Cross bars were different but they are bolt on parts. I have plenty of good used frames around here if you need one. With and without titles. I'm not 100% sure i'd worry about the damage you have there. Most of that was the exhaust took a big hit.

I really dont want to ship it but I have an 85 no-title frame/swingarm/tank you could have free. Located in the Black Hills close to Rapid City.

It's hard to get a good look at it with the exhaust still in place, I would agree that the exhaust system probably took the brunt of it. Maybe the frame damage is quite minimal?

Frames are the same. Cross bars were different but they are bolt on parts. I have plenty of good used frames around here if you need one. With and without titles. I'm not 100% sure i'd worry about the damage you have there. Most of that was the exhaust took a big hit.
I thank I need a frame an swingarm an I think it's a 99 it has 5/99 on neck rear tire is not straight in bike all I got with it it salvage papers from tow yard so a title would be nice .
let me no how much on frame an swingarm shipped to Warsaw Indiana 4658020190702_105940.jpg 20190702_105933.jpg 20190702_105929.jpg 20190702_105908.jpg

Oh yeah, that's toast.

Sure, someone 'could' fix it, but with the available supply of cheap, straight frames out there, why would you?

You might want to save the frame for a cradle to mount a bike engine in to run it, test-bench style. Or someone on here might want one for that purpose. In any event, if you decide just to scrap it, I'd cut-off the steering head neck w/the VIN on it, and save it w/the salvage yard receipt. It could come-in handy, proving why you have a pile of parts, to disprove some LEO saying, "you're running a bike chop-shop!"

Often the salvage yard will turn in the title to the state, and the wreck is non-rebuildable. They are allowed to sell the parts, but the VIN cannot be used to title another build, nor can the frame be used. When you buy a bike for parts, that should be a part of the negotiation: does it have a rebuildable title, or has the title been surrendered to the state for no further use?

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned if there is a valid title with the motorcycle. You said you have the tow yard papers, does it convey the vehicle to you, listing the VIN? It should, I'd go back and politely-request it, if you didn't get it (the VIN) on your paid receipt when you took possession.

Go to the local PD or your DMV with your receipt for the bike, see if it was ever-registered in your state. Looks like a Michigan plate. Bring the plate w/its registration sticker, that should help to trace its ownership. If you're going to replace the frame, your salvage paperwork from the tow yard should do for the proof of ownership, unless your document search reveals it was stolen. If it was, and it was insured, the insurance company will probably need to release their interest to you, since you have a tow yard receipt, which hopefully is on some-sort of a letterhead, and isn't just something like, "sold, 1 motorcycle, $100," and no mention of the tow business, nor any name for you, nor any VIN. I suspect that the tow yard already did that (researched the ownership), but you never know. Usually for a minimal fee, you can get the last owner of record & address from the DMV.

do you think that kind of impact could've caused damage inside the engine, does it turn over ok

You haven't mentioned if there is a valid title with the motorcycle. You said you have the tow yard papers, does it convey the vehicle to you, listing the VIN? It should, I'd go back and politely-request it, if you didn't get it (the VIN) on your paid receipt when you took possession.

Go to the local PD or your DMV with your receipt for the bike, see if it was ever-registered in your state. Looks like a Michigan plate. Bring the plate w/its registration sticker, that should help to trace its ownership. If you're going to replace the frame, your salvage paperwork from the tow yard should do for the proof of ownership, unless your document search reveals it was stolen. If it was, and it was insured, the insurance company will probably need to release their interest to you, since you have a tow yard receipt, which hopefully is on some-sort of a letterhead, and isn't just something like, "sold, 1 motorcycle, $100," and no mention of the tow business, nor any name for you, nor any VIN. I suspect that the tow yard already did that (researched the ownership), but you never know. Usually for a minimal fee, you can get the last owner of record & address from the DMV.
All I got was a bill of sale has vin an says parts bike not really worried about titleing it I can always do a court order title cost 15dollars done it before

It came from tow yard it was abandoned

The papers you got when you got it at auction (or outright purchase) should be all you need to get a title going. Bring it all down to the courthouse and it should be enough. A frame with no title that was purchased privately might be a different story. Depending on state it may be quite a pain in the ass, then you best hope it was never reported stolen or you may have some splainin' to do.

I was a tow truck operator for awhile, bought and flipped many many auction vehicles, many I impounded myself. Title and registration is pretty straight forward with the papers from the towyard. If abandon I'm not sure, but sometimes stolen recoveries get a branded title. It reduces resale value but does not make it any less yours. Save yourself some trouble and get a titled frame if you can. Not sure if engine #s are recorded or how they match the frame but a titled frame may be all you need, use the one you just got as a "parts bike", just keep the other papers in case there are ever any Q about the engine numbers. Food for thought.

Wow, that took a hit!
I'd look over the engine block @ the rear motor mount area for signs of damage.
Yea I'm going to start tearing in down next week I just got to get 70 elcamino running so it moves around easyer. I had vmax started a couple times now no oil leaks yet an yes it has oil in it lol I'll post some pic of the tear down

Latest posts

Back