Critical Mass Yet Again - ‘90 Gen1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Phoenix is fertile ground for Motorcycle picking. Lots of projects where people get in over their heads with grandiose ideas and then reality sets in. Those are the deals I try and locate, zero in on and take advantage of. I really enjoy this stuff, so humor me here.

The recent anniversary bike worked out so well that I had some free capital to play with and so today picked up another GEN one. This one is a 90. Not counting my labor, let’s just say it was darn near free after the sale of the 05.

Although this thing has been sitting for eight (yes 8) years, the bike has real potential for being a keeper. You might recall the pros and cons that I outlined in the first “Critical Mass” thread with regard to the 86 versus the 05. After some quality TLC time on this one, it might be a closer race than that one was. Stay tuned for pros and cons ver. 2.0...

Here are some of the pluses that are obvious at first glance:

- R1 (I think) brake conversion
- Frame braces
- Superbike bars
- Fresh paint
- Garage kept
- Brand new battery
- Spin on oil filter conversion
- Fired up, ran, revved

And some minuses:
- carbs overflowing
- minor wiring monkey business
- significant valve cover leakage ( both)
- middle seat section cracks
- ugly ass hangers on the two brothers slip ons

11A1E276-691C-4EE0-B89A-9B8CCCE21838.jpeg
55933F48-5EC9-45B4-81B9-F8D569CF9D0A.jpegCCB5060A-D91F-4039-BEBD-4D75E8B9D882.jpeg3FDE28CA-8E2A-4CC3-AE12-60163E9B20DF.jpeg

Last edited:
The '90 should have two wires for the pick-up coil, it's the 1st year of the digital ignition. It would have the old-style brakes and front end as that didn't change until '93. I see it has a bracket for the I assume 100 mm o.c. R1/R6 brakes. Does it have a home-made oil filter transverse frame bracket?

Yep. Two-wire pickup.

I don’t know what the transverse frame bracket is that you’re referring to. Wouldn’t it be visible in the photo above if it was there?

Last edited:
When they went to the spin-on oil filter (1996), the front of the frame transverse frame brace got a semi-circular brace shape, in-place of the old-style cartridge oil filter, and its straight-across transverse frame brace. That was to clear the spin-on oil filter.

Your bike apparently is wearing a straight-across piece, not the curved one. That would be correct for a 1990. It would be interesting to see the dimensions and shape of the oil passage of the aluminum adapter plate allowing the use of a spin-on oil filter.

You want a no-cost 'fix' for that exhaust canister stay, drill a series of holes big at the ends, and going smallest in the middle stepped in-size. Start with something < 1/2 the width of the bar-stock. One of these would be just the tool. Amazon.com: Milwaukee Electric Tool 48-89-9209 Electric Step Drill Bit, No 9, Silver metallic: Home Improvement Of course, Harbor Freight has a cheaper one, a set. Titanium High Speed Steel Step Bit Set, 3 Pc. (harborfreight.com) Measure carefully, drill pilot holes.

Last edited:
Phoenix is fertile ground for Motorcycle picking. Lots of projects where people get in over their heads with grandiose ideas and then reality sets in. Those are the deals I try and locate, zero in on and take advantage of. I really enjoy this stuff, so humor me here.

The recent anniversary bike worked out so well that I had some free capital to play with and so today picked up another GEN one. This one is a 90. Not counting my labor, let’s just say it was darn near free after the sale of the 05.

Although this thing has been sitting for eight (yes 8) years, the bike has real potential for being a keeper. You might recall the pros and cons that I outlined in the first “Critical Mass” thread with regard to the 86 versus the 05. After some quality TLC time on this one, it might be a closer race than that one was. Stay tuned for pros and cons ver. 2.0...

Here are some of the pluses that are obvious at first glance:

- R1 (I think) brake conversion
- Frame braces
- Superbike bars
- Fresh paint
- Garage kept
- Brand new battery
- Spin on oil filter conversion
- Fired up, ran, revved

And some minuses:
- carbs overflowing
- minor wiring monkey business
- significant valve cover leakage ( both)
- middle seat section cracks
- ugly ass hangers on the two brothers slip ons

View attachment 75829
View attachment 75825View attachment 75826View attachment 75827

When they went to the spin-on oil filter (1996), the front of the frame transverse frame brace got a semi-circular brace shape, in-place of the old-style cartridge oil filter, and its straight-across transverse frame brace. That was to clear the spin-on oil filter.
I knew there was some difference there, but could not figure it out.
Very observant FM.

My friend who has been a south FL Yamaha dealership mechanic since before the release of the VMax Gen. 1, said that he had a few people who caught the lower lip of the old-style oil filter canister trying to load their bike onto a pickup, and broke the engine case, an expensive repair.

Things could potentially still get ugly, but had a decent surprise this morning. Shiny new starter up in there. Sticks out like a sore thumb…B6045960-4FB3-49C1-A424-7BAFE50CB58B.jpeg

And then there are the "less than desirable" surprises. Carburetors. They have most decidedly been messed with.

IMG_1057.jpgIMG_1055.jpg

Scariest of all is that this is exactly how they looked upon removal...
IMG_1054.jpg

So far, the only casualty (other than the buggered inlet elbow above) is that one of the four pilot jets is completely destroyed inside the jet block - and is one with the block. May need to punt that one.

Time will tell.

...and I'm guessing that there have been so many of these "project" threads, that folks are just numb to them. I'm not here to bore, I just like to share fits and starts with like-minded folks.

But, unless I really have something interesting and/or out of the ordinary, I'll probably let this thread go stale until I have something worth communicating. A smoky burnout, perhaps.

And then there are the "less than desirable" surprises. Carburetors. They have most decidedly been messed with.

View attachment 75865View attachment 75866

Scariest of all is that this is exactly how they looked upon removal...
View attachment 75867

So far, the only casualty (other than the buggered inlet elbow above) is that one of the four pilot jets is completely destroyed inside the jet block - and is one with the block. May need to punt that one.

Time will tell.
Cue-up the Chambers Brothers,

and get to work on those carbs. The easy cure for the stuck pilot jet is to use a left-hand drill bit. Left Hand Drill Bit Set, 13 Pc. (harborfreight.com)

A dime to a dollar says that pilot jet spins right-out as the bit grabs the brass of the pilot jet.

As-for the crippled/kinked steel tube, you might try flow-testing it, to see if the volume of fluid passed is detrimental. I suspect that it's more-of a cosmetic issue than a functional one. If there is a low-flow situation: removing the gas screen and needle valve seat may surprise you with some debris that affects the flow more-than that kinked gas line supply tube. Looks like JB Weld was this guy's friend... . "Gimme the hammer, no, the bigger-one!"

Apparently he refused to pay the $27 for the OEM molded T-fitting gas line supply tubing, and jury-rigged something to pass-gas. His lack of basic physics knowledge is evident in the interconnection of the float bowls' vent tubes. I suspect that may have more to-do with interference with gas flow than any of his other bodged 'fixes.' You better-pray his 'skills' don't extend into the running gear, because you could be astride a time-bomb: "when," not "if." From what you've shown us, he didn't own or use a torque wrench either, I suspect/expect. A soundtrack for the moment:

Last edited:
Mr. Fire Medic, I continue to be astonished at your ability to pull compelling (and often completely off-tangent) elements into your helpful and detailed responses. To wit: The Chambers Brothers. One hit wonders? Nah. Underrated? Definitely. I'd forgotten how well they coalesced as a group.

And I actually have that EXACT left-hand bit set. Hadn't occurred to me to use it! I will for sure. Hope it works. I do have a spare jet block, but hate to use it if it's not necessary.

And so far, other than the carbs, this thing seems pretty well looked after. But, I won't really rest easy until I have a couple good 2nd gear romps successfully completed.

As always, your input is appreciated.

I dunno about others, but I like the "look what I found!" posts, it helps us remain vigilant. You never-know when a monster of a problem is going to rear its ugly head.

Probably my favorite album and song by this group. I saw 'em several times over the years, including at Daytona Bike Week. Yes, I have this on vinyl, bought new in '69, in college.

Someone may see a pattern in the era of the music I'm posting.

I dunno about others, but I like the "look what I found!" posts, it helps us remain vigilant. You never-know when a monster of a problem is going to rear its ugly head.

Probably my favorite album and song by this group. I saw 'em several times over the years, including at Daytona Bike Week. Yes, I have this on vinyl, bought new in '69, in college.

Someone may see a pattern in the era of the music I'm posting.

Yeah, you're, maybe, five years older than me. But we listened (listen) to the same stuff.

Child In Time

One good memory deserves another (while we're at it) ... and I'm not smart enough to embed the video link. The "blind man" referenced in this classic piece (a fond favorite of mine) is, of course, the United States.

Those were turbulent times. But then again, so are these. Dang.

Exito! A good job on the pilot jet. I always feel good when things happen without 'issues.'

I saw Deep Purple a couple of times, and have their vinyl. Always a good time. That's a good choice.

I heard one of the few bands still playing from that era, on the radio today, Wishbone Ash. I saw them live back in the early '70's, in FL. This song is one of my favorites by them. Andy Powell with his 1960's Gibson Flying V, and Ted Turner with his Fender Stratocaster made two lead guitars a thing. I saw them the same place I saw Johnny Winter, and Edgar showed-up to play with Johnny, he was not advertised as being there, before the concert! They used a concert they played there on the Johnny Winter And-Live album.

Last edited:
I have that Wishbone Ash album on vinyl!

We really should start a thread on some of these old cuts. I am a huge music fan and have been for many decades.

One of my “things” is restoring old audio gear. I don’t do tubes, solid state silver face mainly. I have a bit of a Sansui collection as well as several of the Pioneer SX series. My daily driver is a Sony STR - V6. Used to be able to pick stuff up dirt cheap, but those days are over.

Call me crazy, but I cannot pick up a screwdriver without the tunes going. I don’t have a vintage amp in the shop, but a nice 90s Onkyo with An old pair of Polk Audio monitor 5s. (Got some Monitor 11’s in the house). The acoustics out there in the shop are incredible. I wish they were as good inside the “music room” in the house.

I have been to more concerts than I can remember. Problem is, they’re all dropping like flies these days.

Last edited:
I just sold a Marantz 2240b receiver I had for many years. It's one of the thumb-flywheel tuning models. The guy I sold it to, came-up with 15 minutes of excuses why he wasn't gonna buy it, but he must-have had an epiphany, because he turned-around before he got to his car, and paid me my asking-price. I suppose he was trying to squeeze me to sell cheaper, but 'see-ya!' If not him, the next guy.

I have a couple of harmon-kardon quaraphonic receivers just-sitting, and a newer but still-old harmon-kardon solid-state receiver for daily use, into a pair of Infinity rs-III tower speakers. My wife got me a USB turntable to make digital recordings of my record collection, but I haven't done much of it yet. I usually play records on a Thorens TD 160 turntable w/a Sure cartridge & elliptical stylus. I have a couple of Dual belt-drive turntables, one I bought new in the mid-'70s. I only need one at a time, so I'm considering selling extras.

Latest posts

Back