Cruise control/Throttle lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pighuntingpuppy

Reaction score
1985-2007 Vmax, what are folks using for cruise control/throttle locks? My Virago used a Vista Cruise unit and was a godsend. Living out in the American southwest, nothing is closeby. Dropping 150 miles on one trip is nothing. In New Mexico, we have counties bigger than all of New Jersey. So I have been looking for a throttle lock that would fit nicely and go with the aesthetics of the bike.

So whoever is using them, please send me your feedback on what you are using and the pros and cons to your set-up. Thanks.

Yes, I have a Vista Cruise. Make sure you set it up so you can override the tension set when it's "on," just by a twist of the wrist. Yes, normally you flip the lever to 'off,' to allow the return springs to work in the carb linkage, the manual override is for that emergency situation where you need to disengage it without flipping the lever, maybe an animal (deer) suddenly appearing in-front of you. Or, you overtake a Cobra 4/4 exhaust-equipped VMax...;)

Last edited:
Vista Cruise here. It is a God send on long rides. It has held up well for a few years too. It takes the spring back out of the throttle a bit, even when disengaged. I am used to it and like it.

Alright then. Looks like I am gonna go back to tried and true. Because this throttle set-up is different than my other bikes, does anyone have any pics on installation?

I use an Omni-cruise throttle lock. It's a tad spendy compared to the knock-offs on Ebay but I'm glad I didnt cheap out. It's USA made, not "USA Stock" and their cust svc is excellent. One perk of this is it can be moved between bikes in about a minute.

1985-2007 Vmax, what are folks using for cruise control/throttle locks? My Virago used a Vista Cruise unit and was a godsend. Living out in the American southwest, nothing is closeby. Dropping 150 miles on one trip is nothing. In New Mexico, we have counties bigger than all of New Jersey. So I have been looking for a throttle lock that would fit nicely and go with the aesthetics of the bike.

So whoever is using them, please send me your feedback on what you are using and the pros and cons to your set-up. Thanks.
I too have a Vista Cruise on my Virago. I have a https://brakeawayproducts.com/ on my VMAX. The BrakeAway is a lot safer, since the lock disconnects automatically whenever you press the brake handle. I love it! Expensive and a bit of a pain to get installed and adjusted but well worth the effort. It looks nice too.

Last edited:
do you guys/guyess's ever feel a bit vulnerable fitting those controls, not sure if I'd trust one, I drive a tractor at work and most people set the speed in them and get on with it, I drive it with the accelerator as it keeps me in full control, but saying that UK roads are not as big and open as some other countries

I too have a Vista Cruise on my Virago. I have a https://brakeawayproducts.com/ on my VMAX. The BrakeAway is a lot safer, since the lock disconnects automatically whenever you press the brake handle. I love it! Expensive and a bit of a paint to get installed and adjusted but well worth thee effort. It looks nice too.

Looks good on the bike on the website. Could you post pics of how yours is set up? The online pic looks real clean on the install. Would love to see how it bolts up to the Vmax.

do you guys/guyess's ever feel a bit vulnerable fitting those controls, not sure if I'd trust one, I drive a tractor at work and most people set the speed in them and get on with it, I drive it with the accelerator as it keeps me in full control, but saying that UK roads are not as big and open as some other countries

My Virago has had one all its life. I racked up 100K miles on it. Crossed the US 4 times on it. 2000 miles one way. You would not believe how much you would change your mind on a long trip like that. Out where I live now, New Mexico, we have counties bigger than all of New Jersey. Another analogy would be saying New Mexico is almost as big as Germany. Out where I live....putting on 100-150 miles is really nothing. And thats not just circling a town once or twice. Thats actual directional driving. So, in my opinion, I feel safer. No more fatigued hands or arms on long distances. If you are doing short distances, the throttle lock isnt activated and you have your throttle control.

Last edited:
Looks good on the bike on the website. Could you post pics of how yours is set up? The online pic looks real clean on the install. Would love to see how it bolts up to the Vmax.
P1010004.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010002.JPG
Throttle locks ARE dangerous IF... you have to THINK what you need to do in order to disconnect them. I don't use mine in anything other than light or NO traffic. On the road though, they are a real hand saver. Keeping the throttle open can cause all kinds of problems. Hands are not meant to maintain a constant position under strain for extended periods of time.

Notice in the first pic above, there is a small lever to the left of the larger one. The large lever is pressed (it takes a satisfying amount of pressure) to set the lock and the smaller one releases it. This is a fail-safe. Also, the throttle CAN be rotated while the unit is engaged. Normally the lock is released with a small press of the brake lever. It works EVERY TIME; no guesswork, no thinking. The unit releases WITHOUT moving the caliper pistons. It uses the free-play of the brake lever ONLY.

There are NO SHORTCUTS ALLOWED! Installation takes whatever amount of time it takes to install it! Setting this unit up properly will result in the unit performing EXACTLY as designed.

These units ARE a bit of a PITA to set up as I have said. But they are well worth the effort. One requirement is that the chrome escutcheon on the throttle must be ground down. I bought a stock replacement, just in case. However, the unit blends so well (especially with with my machined aluminum bar ends) anyone not familiar with the VMAX, would think is IS stock.. I can't imagine ANY reason I would ever remove it!

...Out where I live....putting on 100-150 miles is really nothing. And that's not just circling a town once or twice. That's actual directional driving. So, in my opinion, I feel safer. No more fatigued hands or arms on long distances. If you are doing short distances, the throttle lock isnt activated and you have your throttle control.
I agree, it IS safer to keep the strain off of hands that need to be kept supple and ready for immediate use without having to be loosened up. On long legs in cold weather, without a throttle control, the brake hand can become very difficult to manipulate quickly.

View attachment 69566 View attachment 69565 View attachment 69564

Throttle locks ARE dangerous IF... you have to THINK what you need to do in order to disconnect them. I don't use mine in anything other than light or NO traffic. On the road though, they are a real hand saver. Keeping the throttle open can cause all kinds of problems. Hands are not meant to maintain a constant position under strain for extended periods of time.

Notice in the first pic above, there is a small lever to the left of the larger one. The large lever is pressed (it takes a satisfying amount of pressure) to set the lock and the smaller one releases it. This is a fail-safe. Also, the throttle CAN be rotated while the unit is engaged. Normally the lock is released with a small press of the brake lever. It works EVERY TIME; no guesswork, no thinking. The unit releases WITHOUT moving the caliper pistons. It uses the free-play of the brake lever ONLY.

There are NO SHORTCUTS ALLOWED! Installation takes whatever amount of time it takes to install it! Setting this unit up properly will result in the unit performing EXACTLY as designed.

These units ARE a bit of a PITA to set up as I have said. But they are well worth the effort. One requirement is that the chrome escutcheon on the throttle must be ground down. I bought a stock replacement, just in case. However, the unit blends so well (especially with with my machined aluminum bar ends) anyone not familiar with the VMAX, would think is IS stock.. I can't imagine ANY reason I would ever remove it!

I agree, it IS safer to keep the strain off of hands that need to be kept supple and ready for immediate use without having to be loosened up. On long legs in cold weather, without a throttle control, the brake hand can become very difficult to manipulate quickly.

Well my friend, they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It looks like a super clean install. Functional and well crafted. The costs arent unreasonable to what I have seen. Couple hundred bucks shipped. I think I will roll on this unit. Thanks for the detailed pics on your install. I am sure I will say a couple choice words on install but looks like the end product is absolutely worth it.

Do remember seeing something though between yours and the site.....

https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/

This is what is recommeneded for the Vmax.....

https://brakeawayproducts.com/fit-list/

But the fit list indicates that this is for a 2009 and newer model.

What part number(if you remember) is yours?

Well my friend, they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It looks like a super clean install. Functional and well crafted. The costs arent unreasonable to what I have seen. Couple hundred bucks shipped. I think I will roll on this unit. Thanks for the detailed pics on your install. I am sure I will say a couple choice words on install but looks like the end product is absolutely worth it.

Do remember seeing something though between yours and the site.....

https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/

This is what is recommeneded for the Vmax.....

https://brakeawayproducts.com/fit-list/

But the fit list indicates that this is for a 2009 and newer model.

What part number(if you remember) is yours?
I have emailed a request to BrakeAway asking that question and will let you know. My part number was "BAW-MCC" and that number is no longer good. To the best of my knowledge, this is the one that will fit the all years of the VMAX https://brakeawayproducts.com/product/7cp02/
But it does not match the unit I have.

I think the updated model provides for a self-contained installation. Mine is secured on the inside using the brake lever bolt and nut. The new unit uses a separate inside clamp and a rod that connects them. Mine looks like this:
P1010005.JPG

The "new" one looks like this:

s-l300.jpg
BUT! I'M NOT SURE! Please make sure before you buy!

Also, I don't have any experience with the GEN II VMAXs. Mine is a 1992. A comparison of YAMAHA part numbers would verify compatibility. BrakeAway only lists those motorcycles upon which their units have been verified to fit. I can VERIFY that mine works but I CANNOT verify that the link I gave you is correct. It fits a 7/8" handlebar and I think that is the important detail. Don't worry about the size of flange it fits over. Ours MUST be ground to a smaller diameter in order to work. Fortunately, the flange is entirely covered by the installed unit so there is no ugliness showing after installation is complete.

I tried to upload the installation PDF but it is too large and was rejected. It is 8 pages long and to anyone thinking about this project, get the PDF in advance and study, study, study.

DO NOT!!! expect this to work without expending a lot of time reading, fussing and adjusting. I will tell you that your hard work will be rewarded. This unit is the BOMB!

I am speaking with them as well. They told me that is for the 2009+ Vmax and that they need to consult tech support which conveniently is on vacation at the moment. So....waiting and waiting now. Probably wont hear nothing till after the 4th of July.

I found a part number of what looks like yours 7CP01.....But for 1" bars.

Made of plastic....That will last about 1 or 2 years in New Mexico. The UV will destroy that in no time. My buddy thought he had a deal on a plastic Vista Cruise style throttle lock. It lasted 1 year before it crumbled. I need a metal unit for longevity.

Comes in metal too... 10 second install, cheap, works EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL! Lol... Kidding aside, they look a little goofy, but they work as intended. No thought required to disengage. You just roll off the throttle. To each his own.

DW

...No thought required to disengage. You just roll off the throttle. To each his own....DW

One time I used my Vista Cruise to hold the throttle open and warm up the engine on my Virago while I got "leathered up." When I got ready to ride, I jumped on and left my driveway. The throttle stayed wide open and, yes, it took a couple of microseconds to figure out what was wrong and to proactively wind the throttle back... a couple of microseconds that had the potential to be deadly!

You may say, that's my fault and I learned a lesson. Things happen too fast on a powerful motorcycle. And... there are too many things that CAN happen (and that have deadly consequences) for me to learn each one by first betting my life.

See my post on another thread.

Viewer warning... https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/disaster-can-happen-in-an-instant.47893/

Grisly, but why sugar coat it? "IT" [most often DOES] happen in an instant! Just ask the three surviving motorcyclists who lost their lives last Friday on Route 2 in New Hampshire.

7... SEVEN! ... of ten... You CAN'T ask! "Disaster [happened] in an instant."

Kieth Code's book "A twist of the Wrist" equates attention to money, we have about $10.00 to spend. If you have to spend $9.00 on figuring out that the throttle is NOT going to retract on its own, you are left with $1.00 to spend on seeing and negotiating that patch of sand you are about to hit, leaned over under full power. "To each his own."

The instinct to grab the brake is just that... instinctive. With the BrakeAway, the throttle is IMMEDIATELY disengaged. If I spend $1.00 on that, I'm under control well before encountering that patch of sand!

Incidentally, I have absolutely NO connection with the business BrakeAway®; other than that, of being a satisfied customer.

"Oops! I've done it again." Maybe I should change my moniker to something like “LongPost”or “ChattyCathy.”

I am speaking with them as well. They told me that is for the 2009+ Vmax and that they need to consult tech support which conveniently is on vacation at the moment. So....waiting and waiting now. Probably wont hear nothing till after the 4th of July.

I found a part number of what looks like yours 7CP01.....But for 1" bars.

Please post back when you find out. To my understanding of the specs. the 7CP01 and the 7CP02 are identical, except for the bar diameter.

The diagram I received with my unit does not have a model number.

Latest posts

Back