Cruiser handling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polojeff

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I recently picked up an 88 max for pretty cheap. This is my first cruiser, but pretty damn far from my first bike. My other ride is a 2012 Aprilia Tuono. Question is, how do I make this thing handle a bit better. I've seen people say that tires make the most difference, but after that what do I do? My budget is about 2500-3000, which seems to rule out an R1 front set up. I'm not looking for sport bike handling, but Boulder Canyon is my backyard. Any help is appreciated.

Also, can't seem to find the edit button, but I have a truck and tools in the Denver area if anyone gets caught on the side of the road

- front fork springs with valves
- rear shocks
- rear wheel to fit radial tire. Front wheel can take a radial
- frame brace

go faster
- Muscles jet kit (includes air filter)
- headers with exhausts of your choice

This will pint you in the right direction.

I would start with the front end and an upgrade to the later forks fitted with emulators and springs. Then do the rear; any quality s/a will be an improvement provided spring rate and [ideally] damping is suitable for the loads you carry.

That will make a significant difference.

If you want more go for 17" wheel/ tyre combos.

You are then into bracing the frame or solid mounts, brace swinging arm and additional gussets around the swinging arm pivots.

If that isn't enough then a 'cruiser' probably isn't for you!

- rear shocks
- frame brace

go faster

+1, Lots of threads in this forum on handling and performance gains. Consider solid engine mounts too for handling, as well as braced swing-arm. Aluminum or Delrin mounts are readily available. Forum vendors have all you could ever need. They're the best, and help keep this site free.

This all looks great. Front end seems the place to start. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

VMax is not a cruiser. You can call it drugster or eyecatcher or short range bike for two... or anything else.
1. 90-100 miles range is a joke (and real pain in the butt)
2. Hard to protect rider and bike from rain, debris, dust, BUGS!!!
3. Overpowered for cruise and not really comfortable.
You will need Corbin leather seat, full fairings, ear plugs and xtra tank.
Better to buy real cruiser! Leave VMAX as is:)
BTW, i have little problems with handling.

Forget to mention: sitting in more vertical position (or different position then a sportbike) - does not automatically make a bike "CRUISER"! Going fast in canyons - that is not a job for Vmax, you must be a VERY good rider to do it (with all improvements). And crash it a few times...

I agree with KDIMD, and to elaborate, better front fork springs, with cartridge emulators, RICOR's, or YSS valving drop-ins, will help your front end action. Less nose-dive on vigorous braking, better damping (cartridge emulators, RICOR's, or YSS valving drop-ins) for cornering are to be expected.

Better rear shocks are something that can be expensive, lots of choices, Penske if your bank account is $$$$, Progressive Suspension has a range of pricing, and Hagon is a choice of the UK riders. There are others.

I think the best bang for the buck is radial tires, you can get a 17" or 18" rear modded wheel ( recommended is a 5-1/2" width to fit the stock swingarm, unmodified) and use your front wheel w/a radial tire in 18" but not too-wide, as the radial tire is supposed to have a wider footprint to begin with. No 120's, for example, the tire won't handle well because the cross-section that size requires is much larger than the width of the stock VMax front wheel.

Frame braces and solid engine mount bushings will act to make the frame more-rigid.

I suggest the radial tires, front end, rear shocks if your shocks need replacement, and get to know the VMax handling, it's never gonna be an Aprilia.

- rear shocks
- frame brace

go faster

Is this more dis-information from our Russian friends?

VMax is not a cruiser. You can call it drugster or eyecatcher or short range bike for two... or anything else.
1. 90-100 miles range is a joke (and real pain in the butt)
2. Hard to protect rider and bike from rain, debris, dust, BUGS!!!
3. Overpowered for cruise and not really comfortable.

According to Wikipedia (so it must be true) there are six main categories widely recognized: cruiser, sport, touring, standard, dual-purpose, and dirt bike. Sometimes sport touring motorcycles are recognized as a seventh category.
Having read the article I can't see the categories you cite above.
1) The real pain in the but is when your ride for too long - I suggest a rest every 90 to 100 miles or so.
2) Without the benefit of a force field isn't that true of any moving vehicle?
3) Thought you said it wasn't a cruiser?
The power of a vehicle is directly proportional to how far or quick the throttle is twisted. On that basis may I suggest there is no such thing as 'overpowerd' but inappropriate use of the power available?

I can't disagree about the seat although a leather Corbin will make it look more like a Cru**er and a gel pad works well too.
That would apply to all naked bikes wouldn't it? Perhaps you are thinking along the lines of those fitted to and Indian Chief or Hardly Street Glide. Just a minute, arf a mo, that wouldn't work as it would make it look like a Cru**er! DOH!
Wearing ear plug on any bike makes sense; it's the wind noise you are trying to protect your ears from. A standard Max isn't particularly loud...is it?
I wonder how far you want to ride without stopping?

If you don't have problems with the handling then that implies you may be riding it like a Cru**er?

Forget to mention: sitting in more vertical position (or different position then a sportbike) - does not automatically make a bike "CRUISER"!

And your point is......?

Going fast in canyons - that is not a job for Vmax, you must be a VERY good rider to do it (with all improvements). And crash it a few times...

Is going 'fast' in canyons a job for any bike unless the rider has a death wish?
Surely the point of owning a bike is you get enjoyment from it?
It's not about outright speed.
My pleasure is opening the garage door and seeing and smelling my Max; working on it, cleaning it and riding. Occasionally going fast (without frightening myself) and getting back home in one piece.
Others will be different and perhaps need to go faster than their talent allows . So be it.

What category we choose to put the bike is, IMHO, irrelevant.

One final thought, with all of the negatives I'm surprised that you own a Max.....you do own one....don't you?

Classification I thought made most sence was "performance cruiser", I think a write up I read called it that. Or we have all heard the term muscle bike. But that has less to do with overall characteristics and just the fact that it has some white knuckle horse power.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Good torque, a great surge as revs rise, and an unmistakable silhouette all from a bike that will earn grudging respect from nearly all H-D riders of the 'diehard' persuasion: it outlived all its competitors, and spawned a Generation II.

I did find part of the problem. The air pressure in the front forks was negative. Wheels and fork springs/emulators will happen over the winter.

Hey polojeff
I too am in Denver, I've done a USD conversion (GSXR tubes,rotors and calipers).
The handling got better by far, but the best bang for the bucks has been with RMS frame braces, I welded the frame tab directly opposite the bar under the seat, to "cage the frame" so to speak.
I also use solid aluminium motor mounts and radials front and back. I have a 3" extended swing arm and a 300mm wheel/tire which created a lot of extra weight and noticeable flex, my bike is now rigid, solid and true. If you stick with the stock front end,get a good thick billet front fork brace.
As Im sure know, no one upgrade solves everything but, mounts,springs, braces,tires working together make a really big difference. A brace pic of my then stock front end, first year 85 with the skinny forks.

Attachments

• 071613145951.jpg
    071613145951.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160717_152346.jpg
    20160717_152346.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 30
Classification I thought made most sence was "performance cruiser", I think a write up I read called it that. Or we have all heard the term muscle bike. But that has less to do with overall characteristics and just the fact that it has some white knuckle horse power.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I've always thought of the Vmax as a Muscle cruiser :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back