Curious to know what causes a blown piston on a vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

670vmax

Reaction score
Just wondering what could of caused one of my pistons to blow. I have an 04 vmax with 6000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and it's being serviced. Then while riding with my friend and his gsxr600 we were racing and cruising around 100+mph then on the way home "pop" there goes one piston and a small crack on my lower crankcase. Oil started spilling and I started sliding at about 60mph I gained control and parked it. How I know a blown piston? I took out the oil pan and there was one piston and a connecting rod in pieces. What should I do and what should I fix.

Was the o-ring blown out on your oil galley?? Not sure what could have for sure blown your engine, but if your o-ring was blown I would say lack of oil, and IMO just buy a whole new/used engine and swap it out probably the easiest way to fix your prob, not sure how available they are in Saipan or how much they cost, sorry to hear about your bad luck, I would never think a low mileage 2004 would blow up :(

Well a vacuum leak can burn a hole in a piston...but it needs to be a fairly decent leak.

+1...its probably cheaper in the long run just to buy another engine....but it you want to do upgrades....like a 1260 cc engine...etc, now is the perfect opportunity.

It sounds like the connecting rod went first and then your piston would have hit the valves striking the bottom of the head and then landing in the oil pan. I would think running 100mph for a period of time would cause your connecting rod to loosen its bolts.
A piston will have damage from running too lean or running nos will burn pin holes in it from running too hot. It is possible that the piston lost a ring pin and came loose but there is not that much room for it to come completely out. The cost of turning the crankshaft ,sleeving the cylinder and replacing the piston and connecting rod (maybe damage to the valves and head) is probably more than investing in a used motor somewhere.

Wow sorry to here, can you post pictures...

Chain slack can cause valves to hit the pistons to.

Thanks guys for your your help. Just checking if it worth it to pull apart the motor and rebuild. On my island everything is pretty much special ordered. So no pistons in stock or crods. Does anyone happen to know where I can get a good used engine or at least how much is the 1260cc?

Sorry for some of the spelling errors just using my ancient iPhone 4s. Lol

I could sell you a good engine and send it taken apart so it can ship. You can inspect your heads and if they are good that saves costs for shipping too since you'd not need that.

Email me at [email protected]

Sean

Thanks Sean I just sent you an email. Cool site by the way. A lot of goodies I want also.

Sorry to hear this. Yea, that motor is history. But I'm sure you want to know why. If you pull the oil pan and tell us if the orange 0-ring bulged, it would be a great service. Pics always appreciated too.It doesn't happen to motors of that year and millage very often, it seems.

Sorry to hear this. Yea, that motor is history. But I'm sure you want to know why. If you pull the oil pan and tell us if the orange 0-ring bulged, it would be a great service. Pics always appreciated too.It doesn't happen to motors of that year and millage very often, it seems.

plus - 1

In addition to knowing the condition of the O ring, other factors, such as what oil, when was it last changed and the level checked, condition of main bearings and big end (incl. bolts), condition of bores etc. etc.

Photo's of the motor showing damage would also be helpful.

It might be time to consider building a 1570 long rod motor. Surprise your friends - considerably.

Ok I'll get some pics up soon. It's at a friends house right now his just finishing up a vstar 1100 then we will tear apart my bike. Thanks

I do have one in process that isn't spoken for yet though it's still aways out from being ready. The 1445 I have for sale won't be too much longer I don't think.

Back