Custom Battery Using Headway Lithium Cells

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subbu

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to post this one for a long time but never got a chance. My battery on my 2015 went kaput around 2019. All the new battery options I was looking for only had 6 months warranty. So I made my own and it’s been awesome.

the battery cells are 38120HP cells which have amazing power. I have 4 of these in series using bus bars and they start at the first crank every time. They are light weight and last more than 2000 charge cycles which should last a very long time.

If anyone is Interested, I can post the pics and build.

Yes.
Ah capacity? Cost?
How did you connect them together?

The bus bars are custom made using aluminium spacer bars. I connected the batteries in series using them. 3 bus bar pieces are needed to connect the battery cells - Positive to negative and the negative to positive - to get the 4S configuration.

Add two more bus bars to the end batteries so that you have leads that can be used to connect to the motorcycle.

I also added small 4 gauge wires to connect the bus bars eventually to the motorcycle terminals. A lower gauge means thicker wire, which can handle more power/amps.

It's small, lightweight and doesn't lose charge even in Chicago cold weather. I also have trickle charge terminals connected if I need to top up during the winter months.

Are you able to post a photo? (in particular battery to bus bar connections)

Usually with high power batteries, the connector (bus bar) is connected by spot welding it to the terminals for a low resistance - as this set up is used for starting, then loads of amps are flowing so if the resistance is high (single ohm figures) then those points will get hot.

BTW aluminium is a good conductor of electricity but copper is better ( 30-50% better depending on the aluminium alloy)

Latest posts

Back