Custom LED turn signal replacement for stock bulbs.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenom

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've the infatuation with LED's. I've got about a dozen projects in the fire right now for LED upgrades on my Vmax. The most recent being a replacement for the stock turn signal bulbs on the front of my motorcycle. I plan on replacing the rear break light and turn signals with the CBR tail light assembly noted elsewhere on this forum, so it was necessary to replace only the front signals with LED's.

I do not care for all of the aftermarket LED replacement lights I've seen thus far so I decided to keep the stock assemblies as they are and replace the bulbs with LED's. I don't think the stock round turn signals on the front look bad, so the upgrade was the easiest.

I've pulled the front lens off the bike and measured the ID of the lens. Took the time to cut out some aluminum plates to fit just inside the lens and will mount 1-4 XP-E LED's on the plate. How many will depend on the light output per light. The amber XP-E is rated at 51.4 lumens at 350ma It can be ran at 500ma at almost 90 lumens. however this does decrease the lifespan of the LED a little bit. It is still within it's specs so can expect 100,000 hours at 500ma. Since the bulb that is inside has two elements in it for running constantly as well as operating brighter during flashing, multiple LED's will probably need to be incorporated. Makes it a lot easier than running a driver with dual outputs, which might be problematic to find. I want this to be easy, not hard.

Pictured is the plate inside the lens assembly:
DSC01372.JPG

Next is the single XP-E LED in comparison to a standard 5mm LED.
DSC01373.JPG

As you can see, the LED is incredibly small yet has a significantly larger light output than a simple 5mm LED. The LED it's next to has an output that is only measured in micro candlepower, Or mcd. 5000mcd I think. It's not very impressive output lemme tell ya that.

Presently, I am waiting on some stars to mount the LED's onto. Ordered those from mouser today so, they should be here mid next week. Once I get them, I need to determine if the light output at 500ma on a single LED is sufficient or if multiple LED's is required for running light.

Next I need to determine if a driver is going to be used, or a simple resistor. There are advantages to both. 1. the flasher for these bikes requires a load in order to see the LED's. Using a resistor in the circuit makes it so that it sees the load as well as reduced the voltage to acceptable levels for the LED. The downside of that is, automotive power is incredibly dirty, with lots of spikes in power. A incandescent bulb is capable of handling these power spikes. A LED is not as forgiving. I've blown a few of these LED's on automotive power before so it's required to take the power requirements from auto into consideration.

The Driver is nice in that it keeps the power output constant regardless of input power. No matter how much the voltage spikes from the alternator, the output of the driver is going to remain the same. However, there is no load, so an additional load resistor is required to see the LED's and work with the flasher.

So to start off with, I've decided to go with a simple resistor to begin with. If I have any issues with the setup, I will go back and add in the driver.
DSC01389.JPG

DSC01387.JPG

DSC01391.JPG

DSC01390.JPG

The stars showed up and I used Artic silver thermal epoxy to affix the stars onto the aluminum plate. I had to grind the stars down a little bit to get them to fit together in a small enough circle.

I ran a quick and dirty test to see if it works on my bench PSU, and had complete success. I will update the thread in a bit with the video of this test.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175365/turn test 1.wmv
I had the voltage on my psu set to 14v.

I will update the thread as the build progresses.

ok all is done, i did rewire it so they all came on for running lights at low power and flash at a higher power. wiring diagram is such:
WIRING.png

the resistor values are ONLY for the Cree XP-E AMBER LED'S

I WIRED IT UP IN THE SOCKET LIKE SO:
DSC01429%20%283%29.JPG

here is a video of it blinkin tonight:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175365/final.wmv

i will be throwing some diffuser sheet in it to make it less localized around the led's

Last edited:
Nice project, seems to go on the right way,:clapping:
I do realy like unsual and not bolt-on project (specialy when nice`n`working well)
Hope you show electrical LED built`n` connection and where it been brought

:ummm:I have custom LED also (custom; meening did it myself) and now after 5 years 38,000 miles; i have to repare or replace with new LED wich are more powerfull now.

I did the CBR900RR LED tail light mod, my Maxer-fiends say it look factory made.:eusa_dance:
Did it with-out glu`ing the light on the fender; evereything is bolt and removable for paint repair ect, (i have pics if you want)

Is it posted in that thread? If I recall you added some really nice brackets to the underside of the fender so that you could just bolt that baby on and remove it if needed. If it's not posted, you betcha I wanna see.

Keep checking back here, I will update the thread as I go with build status. Heck, I'll probably offer them up for sale for those that like the stock look but want a LED replacement for the front or rear turn signals. That is providing I get it right and it works with no problems.

I did not want to polute your post
But, you say you want the pics, well here they are.

You will have to do some welding to mod the fender braket
Also, cut `n` relocate the plastic nut holder that you glue with strong epoxy

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00013.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 67
Then i get to wall-mart and brought a 6 LED stick-on strip to light up my license plate

Attachments

• DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 52
I'm interested in led lights too. I have tested a few different ideas and am currently building up my own.
I have decided to do a circuit board with a stack of normal high power leds on it. I thought that the best light output was gained by filling the lens area with lower powered leds to the one you are using.

Most of the led lights I have bought and tested aren't really as good as the plain old incandescent bulbs! The leds you can buy with lots of power have such massive heatsinks on them that they won't fit into my aftermarket (vintage lol) lights, and they are very directional and the light doesn't scatter all over the lens so it doesn't look very good.

I'll take some pics as mine get off the ground, and I'd love to compare results. :biglaugh:

I'm interested in led lights too. I have tested a few different ideas and am currently building up my own.
I have decided to do a circuit board with a stack of normal high power leds on it. I thought that the best light output was gained by filling the lens area with lower powered leds to the one you are using.

Most of the led lights I have bought and tested aren't really as good as the plain old incandescent bulbs! The leds you can buy with lots of power have such massive heatsinks on them that they won't fit into my aftermarket (vintage lol) lights, and they are very directional and the light doesn't scatter all over the lens so it doesn't look very good.

I'll take some pics as mine get off the ground, and I'd love to compare results. :biglaugh:

I look forward to seeing what you have done.

I'm hoping to solve the heating issues by not running the LED's at full power and mounting them on the aluminum plate. Since the high setting won't be running all the time, I shouldn't have to worry about it getting hot. Now this is really only theory at this point, and until I get the stars, I won't truly be able to test this.

I'm curious what LED's you've tried thus far and in what application your using your lights in?

Believe it or not, the LED's I'm using are one of the brightest amber LED's available, without going overboard. I COULD go with a much brighter LED but it would be so big, I could only get 1 or 2 in the housing. Since they are so small, I can use multiple led's to light up the entire light.

It's similar to this light I made for my neutral light.
DSC01084%20%283%29.JPG

utilizes a Luxeon rebel and the light is perfect. Totally fills the entire lens with light and isn't so insanely bright that it's distracting at night.

I did not want to polute your post
But, you say you want the pics, well here they are.

You will have to do some welding to mod the fender braket
Also, cut `n` relocate the plastic nut holder that you glue with strong epoxy

That looks fantastic! I wish I had access to a welder. I'll have to send it to a machine shop!

I have ordered a total of 12 of these little babies so that I can use 3 in each light for constant, and 3 in each light for the flash. Thus far this project has run me about $60

That looks fantastic! I wish I had access to a welder. I'll have to send it to a machine shop!

you`l need more than a welder, you`l need a pation machinist/welder/builder

:ummm:looks like me:biglaugh:, where are you in US ??
:ummm:If shipping fees are`nt so bad $$$, i could do something for you

you`l need more than a welder, you`l need a pation machinist/welder/builder

:ummm:looks like me:biglaugh:, where are you in US ??
:ummm:If shipping fees are`nt so bad $$$, i could do something for you

Now that sounds freaking wonderful. I'm in Montana.

So, whatya think? would I get better pattern spread with teh first pattern or the second one? The first one shows the constant (low) pattern then the hi (flash) pattern as in two different colored triangles that don't overlap, the second pattern overlaps, but I think personally it will be more evenly spread light with no "hotspots" even when the flash is working.
DSC01374.JPG

The diodes are mounted at the black dots or triangle corners.

Updated OP with build progress.
So to start off with, I've decided to go with a simple resistor to begin with. If I have any issues with the setup, I will go back and add in the driver.
DSC01389.JPG

DSC01387.JPG

DSC01391.JPG

DSC01390.JPG

The stars showed up and I used Artic silver thermal epoxy to affix the stars onto the aluminum plate. I had to grind the stars down a little bit to get them to fit together in a small enough circle.

I ran a quick and dirty test to see if it works on my bench PSU, and had complete success. I will update the thread in a bit with the video of this test.

Later tonight I will plug it into the turn signal and do a video as well of the difference between the stock bulb, and my replacement.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175365/turn test 2.wmv

DSC01392.JPG

DSC01393.JPG

here is the first comparison test done during the day.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3175365/turn test 3.wmv

I'm gonna have to say that at the lowest brightness this LED is rated at is not quite enough. 32lumens per LED. I'm also thinking a single LED in the center is needed as well. I'll do another one once it gets dark as well.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
OK, so in order to make this work flawlessly, I ended up replacing the flashing resistor to a 14Ohm resistor which drives the flashing LED's at 500ma instead of 350ma. I pulled the stock bulbs, smashed them, and soldered in the wires for all the LED's. The resistor bunch goes to the ground on the bulb base, and the flash and normal running light led connections go to the 2 soldered connections on the end of the socket. This allows easily swapped and installed installation of the replacement units. The plate fits as pictured inside the lens assembly, so it can just be pulled and dangle while the socket is removed.

I'm all done and I've gotta say, this is a GREAT replacement for the stock bulb. While it doesn't appear to "fill" the entire lens like the stock bulb, it's visible a lot further than the stock bulb. It's very clear and easy to see the flashing when it's going and driving at night, the light output is enough to throw some distance.

Here are some pics of the finished look

DSC01404%20%282%29.JPG

DSC01405%20%282%29.JPG

DSC01398%20%282%29.JPG

DSC01396%20%283%29.JPG

You can see for yourself, the throw and brightness of the unit when flashing and not, is quite bright.

Nice one. Do they have 3 on and 3 as turn signals?
Looks cool! :biglaugh:

I have made a prototype for mine, but mine are old Harley lights. It's working out pretty well so far.
They fill the lens well, and the light is nice and scattered. :biglaugh: Bright too.

20120713_002.jpg

I've made a few changes for the final build.

Because I'm making a printed circuit board, it is possible for me to design a board like this for std indicators.
I wonder if anyone would be interested in making their own led lights?

Nice one. Do they have 3 on and 3 as turn signals?
Looks cool! :biglaugh:

I have made a prototype for mine, but mine are old Harley lights. It's working out pretty well so far.
They fill the lens well, and the light is nice and scattered. :biglaugh: Bright too.

View attachment 30430

I've made a few changes for the final build.

Because I'm making a printed circuit board, it is possible for me to design a board like this for std indicators.
I wonder if anyone would be interested in making their own led lights?

Yes it's 3 on and 3 for the turn signal. Once I find a dual output LED driver, I"ll swap it for that so that I can use all 6 for turn and all 6 at a lower power for driving lights.

I took my unit and compared it to a Harley's light and it was essentially the same size. Fit perfectly. This is pretty much a universal fit with all "lollipop" style turn signals.

updated OP with more updates

changed to 6 on low for running lights, and 6 on high for flash. circuit is included.

Back