Cycle shop forgot the exhaust...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

END3RL3

Reaction score
My dad has a 97 vmax and took it in to get new tires and a tune up.

The shop is about 15 miles from his house... he went to pick it up and rode it home and realized something wasn't right on the engine.

Took it back and the tech said he forgot to put the exhaust back on and now the exhaust valve is burned up. My dad said it rode fine when he took it there but just needed some tune up done (plugs, etc).

Do you think a 15 mile ride would be enough to burn the valve?

I'm thinking they should be responsible to repair the bike.. your thoughts?

Thanks.

To be honest when he turned the key he should have realized something was not right he should have turn key off right away and pointed out problem but on the other hand incompetent dealership should never let that bike out in the first place . By any chance your dad run ufo's or voodoo pipes ?

Not sure why he didn't catch it ... Said he knew something wasn't right but didn't know what it was exactly.

He has hinder exhaust on it.

Is this on a gen 2? I thought the gen 1 hindles were 4-1 with the rear pipes attached to the can.

The shop is about 15 miles from his house... he went to pick it up and rode it home and realized something wasn't right on the engine.

Took it back and the tech said he forgot to put the exhaust back on and now the exhaust valve is burned up. My dad said it rode fine when he took it there but just needed some tune up done (plugs, etc).

Thanks.

I am sure if he signed the bill it will act as an agreement and probably states that on it.
If it was just the canister it should not have burned the valve.
I have run over 50 miles with just a header a no exhaust and did not burn a valve.

some mufflers require removal to pull the axle

...and a Max with stock mufflers and shorter shocks will require removal of the shocks, in order for the wheel to drop low enough to pull the axle. Or removal of the rhs can.
Modifications often come with a price attached. Just sayin'.
Cheers!

Thanks.

No exhaust? YES. Who pays for the repair? Dealership. Where to get work done? Any where but there.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but is your dads hearing alright?

I had a wheel bushing left out by a shop on my first motorcycle and it locked the wheel on the interstate. I luckily skidded off into the shoulder because it was in the left lane. It always pays to look a motorcycle over very well after someone else works on it.

Very few have worked on my motorcycles since and that was 48 years ago. Captainkyle and one2dmax from this forum has done some work for me. They are great mechanics. I am certain others here are very good to. I do most of my own work though and have for 48 years.

99% of the work done to my bike....has been done by myself.....for this very reason. If I screw up and leave a part off, I only have myself to blame.

If the dealer removed it and did not put it back on and you can prove it they will not win in court. The judge always side's with the customer if the shop did not do the job right. always take picture's with your cell phone when dropping and picking up anything you have worked on. make sure you get a person that work's there in the picture and i always make them walk the vehicle with me and write on the work order no damage or if you have damage they can write that on the work order. Now day's you have to cover your ass.

Is this a real serious thread?

How an average mechanic could forget the whole exhaust? He did not start the engine and test before calling the Customer??
If yes, how is it possible not earing the sound difference??
How is it possible to not see and say : Oh shit where are these big megaphone mufflers???

Same question about sound for your father, the engine noise without any mufllers or tubes is so LOUD and ugly...Sorry but this is so hard to believe .

Sounds like a raw deal all the way around. Maybe it's not garage related and coincidentally something else went wrong. +1 on the sound comments. Gotta be half def not to hear a Vmax let alone one without exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back