Cycle World stops printing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this isn't good news. I subscribed to this since the 1970's but probably over a year ago, I allowed my subscription to lapse. I guess I was in the majority of this because here they are, ceasing print publication. Kevin Cameron and Peter Egan were my favorite columnists, both had a strong sense of history to tie their monthly columns to the sport of motorcycling. I enjoyed the mix of articles, you'd always learn something when that new issue arrived. Thanks for the effort you put into the magazine, all who were affilliated.

Cycle World magazine.01.jpg

Where were you in 1966? I was a year away from borrowing my older brother's Honda C110 to roam the fields and trails by our house.

Some years ago, I purchased all three of Peter Egan’s “Leanings” hard cover collections of his articles.. Highly recommended. He was more everyday man real world. Cameron was the scientist.

I will miss Cycle World. The tangible one.

In 1966 I was busily saving up the $250.00 I needed to buy myfirst bike, a Honda S65.

Also an Egan and Cameron fan, didn't start reading it until the 80s however. 72 vintage here.

It's happening to all print magazines. I've subscribed to Popular Mechanics and Popular Science for years. Last year they halved the number of issues you get and now they're packing so many ads into them both that they look more like the old Sears catalog than they do magazines.

I'll wind up dumping them both soon if it gets much worse.

He's wearing a helmet and she's not?

View attachment 73125
The man is supposed to "wear the 'protection,'" while the woman does-not.

Triumph T100A 1960 Earls Court.jpg

Ah, the "swinging '60's," as shown at the Triumph display at the Earl's Court motorcycle show, where an amazing number of fantastic and legendary vehicles were shown to the public, over decades. Who wouldn't want to give-up their pillon-space to one of these most-lurvely birds, who are wearing their protection, those espadrilles? Cue-up Roy Orbison singing A Legend In My Time, and I'll be back from my trip on the A406 to the Ace Cafe before it finishes, I have a Triumph Tiger!

And, since one song by Roy Orbison is never-enough, here's an extended version of one of his most-popular:

Last edited:
I had a couple of Triumphs and a couple of Nortons many years ago. I kept my Bonneville for 37 years.

But without a doubt, that Tiger in the photo above is, in my opinion, the absolute ugliest Triumph to come out of Meriden. Really cannot say that about any other Triumph.

I am sorry to hear that. I have been grabbing an issue at the airport before my travels for decades. Always enjoyed the articles. Just came across an 81 and 82 Peterson Motorcycle Buyer's Guide. Always looked forward to that publication each year. That brought back some memories.

But without a doubt, that Tiger in the photo above is, in my opinion, the absolute ugliest Triumph to come out of Meriden. Really cannot say that about any other Triumph.
It looks like the love child of a Bonneville and a Vespa.

I am sorry to hear that. I have been grabbing an issue at the airport before my travels for decades. Always enjoyed the articles. Just came across an 81 and 82 Peterson Motorcycle Buyer's Guide. Always looked forward to that publication each year. That brought back some memories.
I have one from 1972. It has my first new Yamaha I bought in it. It also has a great article on modifying a CB77 Honda. I happen to have two. There is another write-up on the brand-new H-D XR 750 aluminum-alloy engine, which would come to dominate the AMA flat-track competition for decades. In an interesting confluence of symbiotic events, a Cycle World editor, Allen Girdler, who famously owned a road-going XR-750, literally 'wrote the book' on the Harley-Davidson XR 750: https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson-Xr-750-Allan-Girdler/dp/1626549346

Typical of Cycle World's writing and dedication to the sport of motorcycling, Allen Girdler once shipped his 'road-bike' XR 750 to Europe, to tour on it (and we complain about our VMax gas-range!); I recall one paragraph where he was on a vessel, transporting the bike across some body of water, and when he went to roll-off the ship, he saw that someone had stolen his personalized "XR-750" California license plate, which must-have seemed to-be an impossibly-exotic 'souvenir' of value to the thief. His bike also bore the iconic 'Cycle World' stars & bar-shield that CW publisher Joe Parkhurst asked all-sorts of motorsports competitors to use.

Here's another Cycle World/Sport Rider story about an editor drag-racing a H-D Sportster in the AHDRA (All Harley-Davidson Drag Racing Association) final in Las Vegas: Fish Out Of Water

My favorite Cycle World drag-racing story involving one of their editors was about John Ulrich, a noted two-wheeled competitor in a number of race series, who was offered the chance to try racing a H-D Pro-Stock Sportster running-on NOS. Rather than relate the outcome, read the synopsis, it's scary! Cycle World Magazine

The Harley-Davidson XR750 In The ’80s

Last edited:
Back