Cylinder Head Polishing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxedout

Reaction score
I want to polish the Aluminum on top of the cylinder heads?
Is this possible to take them off w/o any detrimental effects?
What are the torque pressures upon remounting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I want to polish the Aluminum on top of the cylinder heads?
Is this possible to take them off w/o any detrimental effects?
What are the torque pressures upon remounting?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.[/quote

I am not sure what you mean. Are you wanting to polish the combustion chamber? Or polish the top of your heads meaning where the cams sit? :ummm:

Polishing the combustion chamber alone isnt going to give you any gains. If anything it will hurt the combustion therory.
You want to remove any casting burs (which there isnt on VMAX heads in the combustion chambers) You want to keep a little bit of a texture to atomize the fuel and air before the explosion.

If you are wanting to just kill 12+ Hours than spend time on polishing the exhaust chambers only. DO NOT POLISH INTAKE!
You can also match the intake manifolds with the head which will give a lil bit extra.

Or if I am lost in what you mean and want to polish the top of the cylinder heads to make the it purty than I am confused since no one will see it anyways after you put the valve cover on. :confused2:

Also if you goto VMAXOUTLAW you can download the VMAX svc manual and you will have all your torque specs for the job. You will need to use a torque wrench on more than just the head bolts, you have covers, cam sprockets, cam tensinoner etc. I hope you are familiar with the VMAX top end, its not as easy as an inline 4, and if you make a mistake on the cam timing you will have more than polishing to perform. Good luck

Great info!
I am looking to polish just the tops.
Are they safe to remove?

:jerk it:i think hes wantin to make 'em shine.....

Ohhh he means the "Valve covers":worthy:

Yeah they are a pain the ass to remove while the engine is in the bike if you have never doen it. You will think you cant but you can without removing the engine.
Hmm polishing the valve covers, will look good when your done with it but after about 3 weeks they will look like shit IMO since you dont have good access to polish and clean them regulary they will fade and not shine.
Check into either chrome or they make Chrome powder coat now that would be worth investing in. Get a few cans of paint stripper spray em down and wash em off ready to be coated and will look nice and you will be able to wash them to make em shine rather than aluminum polish. Polished aluminum sucks IMO looks like half ass chrome, takes a lot of elbow grease and time to keep them looking like a polished tird.
Do a google search "chrome powder coat"

Back