DAM Mega Max vs Akrapovic???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemical

Reaction score
Greetings Gents, anyone know anything about the DAM Mega Max slip ons? and how they compare to the Akrs? look, feel, sound etc. your thoughts would be more than valuable :)

The Akra system is well built, lightweight, a good performer, and expensive. That would be the cat replacement and mufflers.

The DAM system from what I remember is also all of the above but ultra expensive.

Now when you say "slip-ons", if you are only talking about the mufflers than the pricing remains the same as stated above.....expensive and more expensive. As far as performance and sound, without removing the cat the differences in sound will be marginal and there will be no significant power improvement.

The Akra system is well built, lightweight, a good performer, and expensive. That would be the cat replacement and mufflers.

The DAM system from what I remember is also all of the above but ultra expensive.

Now when you say "slip-ons", if you are only talking about the mufflers than the pricing remains the same as stated above.....expensive and more expensive. As far as performance and sound, without removing the cat the differences in sound will be marginal and there will be no significant power improvement.

I know that Akra have the cat cancelation pipes. not sure if DAM do theirs, but do you know if they could be used with the akra mid-pips?
and if I was to go with the full akra setup, how much lower would it be compared to only slip ons? andwould I need thing? what happens if I don't tune?
and how do I tune/program myself? (not dyno or tune shop in my country)

I know that Akra have the cat cancelation pipes. not sure if DAM do theirs, but do you know if they could be used with the akra mid-pips?
and if I was to go with the full akra setup, how much lower would it be compared to only slip ons? andwould I need thing? what happens if I don't tune?
and how do I tune/program myself? (not dyno or tune shop in my country)

So the best sounding system to my ears that I've ever heard is the Akra pipe with the DAM mufflers. See video:

I don't know about the DAM pricing.......a complete Akra system, midpipe and mufflers is approx. $2300 USD. The Akra Midpipe is around $750 USD by itself the mufflers are around $1500 I think.

You can send your ECU to Gurued Gear http://guruedgear.com/ and have it reflashed instead of tuning on a dyno.

I didn’t imagine the DAMs would fit with the akra mid pipes.

I found that DAM do an X pipe. Do you know what the difference is between the x pipes and akra’s H pipe?? And what happens if I fit a full system but don’t flash the ECU.

Bare with me please Its my first VMAX

After a search, it appears online that the akra mid-pipe is compatible with 2009-2016 no mention of 2018. Does anyone know if there are any changes in the 2018 model?

Yes I believe so but every online store indicates that the connector mid-pipes will not fit 2017 onwards while they indicated that the mufflers will fit up-to 2019. So I’m assuming it’s stated that way for a reason?

I have the full Akra setup on my 2017 VMax. There are actually two different sets I silencers. One came with it and the other I got on EBay. I opted for the quieter of them. The sound is less then you would here on a loud harley. This is good for the neighbors. However when you crack the throttle OMG!!! No silencer at all was just obnoxious.

Yes I believe so but every online store indicates that the connector mid-pipes will not fit 2017 onwards while they indicated that the mufflers will fit up-to 2019. So I’m assuming it’s stated that way for a reason?

Could be because the 18 up all had blacked out exhaust....... Dunno, but nothing had changed besides colors.

Tim Nash recommends the Hindle System for the best possible performance. Nothing more needs to be said.

I run the 8 inch Carbon Fiber round slash cut system from Delkevic. It is LOUD... above 4,500 rpms.... at 2,000 you can get out of the neighborhood without rattling windows... I dyno'd, on a horrible day, 197. After talking with Tim, he said if I swapped over to the Hindle I might gain 3 or 4 more HP. That's not worth the cost to me plus I love the looks of the Carbon Fiber cans.... I get a LOT of compliments on both the looks and the sound. I sent the decat pipe to JetHot to get high temp. powder coated so everything is black.

Last edited:
I'm thinking in a full system exhaust from Akrapovic or Dam.
Visually, Dam MegaMax are a killer eye, but they are made of stainless steel, so I think they are heavier.
Akrapovic is titanium and one of the most reputated exhausts.
If you don't look at the price, what is the best looking and perfomance from both?

Splitting hairs. I've heard compelling arguments for both. In all reality the power difference is small either way. I personally liked Akrapovic for the looks. Something about the titanium blue makes me happy. Although others may or may not sound better, I'm still happy with my Akrapovic. I can tell you the baffles that come with it are different sounding then the ones you can buy separately. With no baffle at all the sound is loud and absolutely obnoxious.

The DAM cans will mount to an Akrapovic midpipe as well, so that is another route to consider.

I really like the look of the MegaMax, I have the Akrapovic and it looks good too. I like having something different so the DAM appeals to me because I've never actually seen one on a bike in the states. I also think the 4 cans instead of 2 is cool and more in keeping with Yamahas original design obviously.

As far as performance there is not a ton of difference between the 4-2-2's, but the Akra is a known performer. The only exhaust that has a significant delta in power is the Hindle 4-2-1.

Here are a couple of photos of a friends bike with a DAM exhaust he just installed. It will look killer IMO on the black bike and it just looks like a real quality piece as well.

image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark for posting those pictures of my Dam exhaust. I have a 2019 i wanted a all blacked out exhaust. I was the first one in Canada to have his mega max exhaust shipped here. Reason I choose the Dam exhaust was like Mark said to have something different than other Vmax owners up here in Canada. I also liked the look of the dual cans on each side and they were offered in Black ceramic finish. Dam also offers the ceramic coated shield cover that covers the connection from cans to x pipe giving it a nice clean look. The first guy to start this thread got this set up and he sent me a video of it that sold me we have the same color bikes. Another reason I got this set up from Dam was the sound its real deep and has a unique sound to it.I really am happy with the sound it’s what I wanted.
The fit and quality and customer service is A+. Here is the weights of stock exhaust and the Dam Mega Max set up I weighed them on a high quality floor scale.
Stock cat 20.82 pounds vs Dam X pipe 5.62 pounds
One stock can with heat shield 5.48 pounds vs one dual side Mega max 7.40 pounds

Back