DAM Mega Max vs Akrapovic???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the DAM set up and sound. I am a chrome guy so I like the looks of the polished cans. Black cans are DAM. I priced out the entire system with their X pipe and heat shields and they were in the $2800 range. Sounded like about a 10% discount will come off that. Not that I can't spend that now just got my 16 about 6 weeks ago kind of wanting to go step by step. Think I will probably go with Akra mid pipe(stock cans), MAB, DD and Tim's flash.

With Akras you get superior material, a LOT less weight and hell, they are Akras! If they were good enough for Yamaha, they are good enough for me. Weight was biggest thing that put me off from DAM, plus the fact that it costs more than Akras.. Why? R&D??
I had to adjust rear suspension few cliks softer after I installed Akras.. Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys reading your thread, I am buying my dads 2020 that is the matte black. I love the look of the stock cans but definitely have to get rid of the cat. Trying to think of the best way to go, whether I keep stock mufflers and get the akro cat delete and have it powder coated black or another mid pipe of some sort. Are the stock mufflers very restrictive? Or would I be better off with the full system like the DAM system you guys are talking about. I have to keep the black look. Thanks!

Look here!: Baffle removal

Just dropped bike off at the shop to get the Akrapovic mid pipe installed. Hoping they get to it sooner than later, they told me a couple of weeks ago that it would be at least a month. They took directly into the shop so hopefully they will be calling in a couple of days and have it ready. I did the MAB with K&N and also the DD in the clutch so as soon I get it back the ECU will be going straight to Tim.:D

Can you
Thanks Mark for posting those pictures of my Dam exhaust. I have a 2019 i wanted a all blacked out exhaust. I was the first one in Canada to have his mega max exhaust shipped here. Reason I choose the Dam exhaust was like Mark said to have something different than other Vmax owners up here in Canada. I also liked the look of the dual cans on each side and they were offered in Black ceramic finish. Dam also offers the ceramic coated shield cover that covers the connection from cans to x pipe giving it a nice clean look. The first guy to start this thread got this set up and he sent me a video of it that sold me we have the same color bikes. Another reason I got this set up from Dam was the sound its real deep and has a unique sound to it.I really am happy with the sound it’s what I wanted.
The fit and quality and customer service is A+. Here is the weights of stock exhaust and the Dam Mega Max set up I weighed them on a high quality floor scale.
Stock cat 20.82 pounds vs Dam X pipe 5.62 pounds
One stock can with heat shield 5.48 pounds vs one dual side Mega max 7.40 pounds
post a video of your bike please I have a 2019 I want exactly what you referred to keeping it black and deep

I just put in the order for Dam MegaMax Black on Black endcaps + X-pipe and the covers. Email the company and they gave me 289.19 discount so the total is 2,180 euro with shipping included (52.17 €).

I was debating between Akrapovic and Dam, but I want to have the quad exhaust look so end up choose Dam.

I for got to mention i paid extra and had the x pipe ceramic coated black also reduces the heat from under bike. Had the whole x pipe coated black

Last edited:
If I keep the Max any amount of time I will also put DAM exhaust on it. Nice deep sound, four cans a big plus and I am a chrome guy and I love the look of the polished ones. Right now I am pretty satisfied Akrapovic mid pipe with stock exhaust, MAB, DD and Flash.

Here is a different but somewhat related question. I want to get ECU flash by Guru. What exhaust system should I choose? (4 into 1 into 2 x-pipe)?

I wanted to like the DAMs but I can't bring myself to...I've got the full Akra system on there now and looking at how they 'lighten-up' the rear of the bike I don't think I could go back to the four cans, even though it's a 'VMAX thing'. They just seem to make the back-end of the bike look 'heavy' not to mention they are heavier than the Akra cans.

If I were to make any changes I think I'd do the Hindle but I don't like the single can on them as it makes the bike look 'unbalanced' although I'm curious how much more power they might give...anyone have some valid numbers?

Here is question. By remove the cat, we already save good amount of weight. I think there is couple lb difference between the exhaust and maybe 5 hp different with the tune. Do we push the bike to a point when those things matter?
I choose the look and the sound over the absolute performance. The bike is a monster already and with MAB, exhaust, and tune, it is already better than stock.

From what I gather if doing for performance Hindle 4 in 1. If for sound or looks according to what you like.

I just got an email from Tim. He said most of people who has Dam uses 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 Marks Pipe profile. He had good success with it but cannot guarantee it will be a perfect tune as he has not made a tune for that system yet.

I just got an email from Tim. He said most of people who has Dam uses 4 into 2 into 1 into 2 Marks Pipe profile. He had good success with it but cannot guarantee it will be a perfect tune as he has not made a tune for that system yet.
He told me the same when I was thinking of going with DAM straight through.

Thought i would add some more pictures of the dam pipes from the back of bike. Every one that has seen my set up really likes the look of the four pipes out back plus they like the sound of exhaust. Another nice feature Dam does is send you four baffles that install easily if you wish to quiet the exhaust down.

F45BC828-59C0-4C78-840E-8B656F1DA449.jpeg4170572A-5101-46FA-B63E-A7BBA6649F82.jpeg 1D4B2BD2-F560-446B-BDB4-07A40346F249.jpegB5F36464-FEA0-44E0-8182-CD1313489CFC.jpeg3D0599D6-EA06-4AE0-8893-15D4BEF4BF22.jpeg

I like it... can't wait. They told me about 2 weeks to get it build.

Full Dam system 4 in to 2 pipes just flow with this bike and the sound is amazing even with baffles in......

Attachments

• 20210322_180113_resized.jpg
    20210322_180113_resized.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back