Damn garage door spring!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Letting off some steam here.

God damn spring on my garage door snapped and not sure how long until I can get one bought and installed.. Takes two people to muscle it open now.

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

If I was closer I'd swap 'em for ya. It takes me about fifteen minutes.
Of course I've been doing it for 20 years.

If you plan on doing it yourself, follow trutex's advice and be very careful. Any questions... hit me up.

Thanks eatatjoz..

What sucks even worse is that when I remove the one good spring today, the double door will be to heavy to lift and me and my girls..

Will be trapped!

Wait until you get the new springs in before taking it apart.
In the meantime, get a cable clamp (about 3/8") and clamp the broken spring back together. Wind it back up and use the door as normal. It will usually last for a week or two before the spring breaks somewhere else.

and change both springs at the same time, or you'll be doing it all again next month.

get a cable clamp (about 3/8") and clamp the broken spring back together. Wind it back up and use the door as normal. It will usually last for a week or two before the spring breaks somewhere else.

Great info thanks.

Iv been calling around trying to get replacement springs but no one will sell me any. I have all the spring dimensions.

One outfit can do it for $200 today.. Sounds pretty reasonable if its done right?:confused2:

That sounds about right. I charge 180. Plus a little for off-hours.
Just be careful about who shows up. Some are crooks and want to get you with the new rollers, drums, hinges, lifetime springs... it ends up being 800 or more when they're through with you
(Initials are PDS btw)

Liability is why you can't buy the springs. Our insurance doesn't appreciate homeowners messing with torsion springs.
I may be able to help you out if you still want to do it yourself, but someone that knows how can take 15 minutes out of your day instead of you working on it all weekend.

a friend of mine almost amputated 4 of his fingers changing a spring on his repair shop door like 3 years ago & he still isn't wright ! ... I who will fuck with anything , i don't rebuild automatic transmissions because thats a separate art & after seeing his fingers , i don't replace garage door springs , thats a separate art ! .. And if you saw his fingers , replacing it yourself , it wouldn't even be a thought ! ... Having someone replace it that does it for a living , might be the best money that you ever spent , that you'll never know if it was worth it !

I hear ya Cop Runner.

I cable clamped the spring back together. Wound it up 7 turns like the good spring , and all is working just like before for now.:clapping:

Now I need to find a supplier who will sell me two springs before it breaks again and maybe throws the cable clamp on something.

.243 wire diameter.
2" inside diameter.
29" overall length.
Need both left and right hand.

No color code on them.

I hate when that heppens. I've lost a couple of springs on my old wood door.

Now I have a nice thermal door. about 7' tall and a little over 17' wide. but the thing weighs in only about 150lbs Vs. the over 300lbs of the old one. definately a hell of a lot lighter. Not to mention more R factor. ever since installing haven't had to turn on the garage heater. it maintains a nice temp in there now. almost too warm on occation. The only time the garage heater turns on now is just to recoup when you open the door in the -50 deg temps.

I hate when that happens. I've lost a couple of springs on my old wood door.

Now I have a nice thermal door. about 7' tall and a little over 17' wide. but the thing weighs in only about 150lbs Vs. the over 300lbs of the old one. definitely a hell of a lot lighter. Not to mention more R factor. ever since installing haven't had to turn on the garage heater. it maintains a nice temp in there now. almost too warm on occasion. The only time the garage heater turns on now is just to recoup when you open the door in the -50 deg temps.
COMMON " KJ " , TO WARM IN ALASKA ! .. :confused2::rofl_200:

Id like to have a new door. But my kids would have dented it as light weight as they build them these days.

i hear ya cop runner.

i cable clamped the spring back together. Wound it up 7 turns like the good spring , and all is working just like before for now.:clapping:

now i need to find a supplier who will sell me two springs before it breaks again and maybe throws the cable clamp on something.

.243 wire diameter.
2" inside diameter.
29" overall length.

No color code on them.
Please , Just Be Very Careful !

I hear ya Cop Runner.

I cable clamped the spring back together. Wound it up 7 turns like the good spring , and all is working just like before for now.:clapping:

Now I need to find a supplier who will sell me two springs before it breaks again and maybe throws the cable clamp on something.

.243 wire diameter.
2" inside diameter.
29" overall length.

No color code on them.
They're green.
Sounds like a 16x7 wood door. Let me check my cost tomorrow, and I'll let you know as soon as I get home.

They're green.
Sounds like a 16x7 wood door. Let me check my cost tomorrow, and I'll let you know as soon as I get home.

Thanks!

I did find a local outfit who makes them in house for $120 a pair. And online for around $80 a pair.

Looks like online will be cheaper than me. $80 a pair isn't bad. They must buy them in bigger bulk and get a better deal.

I do some crazy shit, but I won't touch a garage door spring :rofl_200:that's some scarrrry stuff. I paid the man about $130 and I drank a beer on the deck and wrote that check! I need my fingers for my throttle and triggers, be careful.:biglaugh:

Thanks!

I did find a local outfit who makes them in house for $120 a pair. And online for around $80 a pair.

Where did you find them online? I need a set for my garage door, and haven't found anyone that sells them. Don't worry about my fingers guys, I have installed several of them through the years....

Where did you find them online? Don't worry about my fingers guys, I have installed several of them through the years....

The trick is not to let two mistakes happen at the same time. First mistake is inevitable. Your fucking with deadly forces for the first time without the help of someone who has done it.

So don't let the second mistake happen and you will be fine. Like standing on a chair and trying to crank the spring directly in front of it with a chunk of threaded rod.:biglaugh:

I first found springs on ebay for $80 some a pair w/o shipping. but my local Menards can order them for $41.00 each.

One problem though. Menards cant get my 29" overall length.:bang head: only 27 1/2" and 30 1/2" Can I use the 30 1/2" and crank it a touch tighter PDS
?

If it's soaked up a bunch of water or latex paint over the years, you'd be better off with the shorter spring, but yes, just wind the longer one a bit more and it should be fine. You could also get one of each and come out about the same as what you have now.
Either way, you'll only be off by about five pounds.

Back