Damper Rod Holder Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott-4255

Reaction score
Hello,
Does, anyone have pictures of a 29 mm "Damper Rod Holder"? Im not able to find one locally or online, and I thought I'd make one.
This is what I know about the Damper Rod Holder:
29 mm Hex Head (male) not a socket
T-Handle length is 20"

Directions with pictures on how to fabicate one.:ummm:

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, try this.

Mark

Attachments

• dampertool.jpg
    dampertool.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 90
Here is a picture of the exact Yamaha damper rod holder.

YM-33962-90890-01375

I bought this way back when years ago when I had the original forks and installed the Emulators.

I did not need the T-Handle since it is a standard 1/4" socket end. I used a few extensions and a socket wrench.

I have heard that can wedge a broom handle tight enough into the hole to keep it from spinning. I have heard that you can compress the spring onto it hard enough (without oil naturally) that it will not spin. Neither of these I have tried since I had the tool.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Fork Holder1 29mm(1936 x 1296).jpg
    Fork Holder1 29mm(1936 x 1296).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 67
  • Fork Holder2 29mm(1936 x 1296).jpg
    Fork Holder2 29mm(1936 x 1296).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 53
I have a dowel rod with a rubber chair leg foot on the end of it which I screwed on. I shove it down the fork leg pushing hard and take an air impact to the allen bolt. DO NOT try without an impact... :whistlin:

Mark,
Does 15/16 = 29 mm, or is it a little lose?
It Looks like it could do the trick. Have you used it before.

Thanks,
Scott

Lee,
Thanks for the pics of the Damper rod holder. Now I know what It really looks like.
Scott

Mark,
Does 15/16 = 29 mm, or is it a little lose?
It Looks like it could do the trick. Have you used it before.

Thanks,
Scott

It's 23.8125 mm. I have used it before on my early model forks. I'm not sure if the late model can use the same size.

Mark

That's what I used on my 88 forks, it works great.

I have a 05 VMAX, and the Clymer manual list a 29mm Damper holder for 1993-on. It also list a 24mm Damper holder for 85-92. I need to figure out where to get 29mm Nuts, in order to fabricate the same tool you built. So far I've only been able to find 27mm or 30mm nuts from fastenal.com

Any ideas?
Thanks, Scott

Scott, you could get the 30 mm and have someone machine them down to 29 mm.

Try giving Fastenal a call. If they don't have it they might know where to get it.

Mark

I have a 05 VMAX, and the Clymer manual list a 29mm Damper holder for 1993-on. It also list a 24mm Damper holder for 85-92. I need to figure out where to get 29mm Nuts, in order to fabricate the same tool you built. So far I've only been able to find 27mm or 30mm nuts from fastenal.com

Any ideas?
Thanks, Scott

You might have to go with an Imperial nut instead of a metric one. 29 mm comes out to 1.14 inches, which is basically 1 1/16. I don't believe you will find a nut that size, however you may be able to use a 1 inch nut with some tape on it to make up for the sloppy fit. Also don't forget to look for bolts that have the right size head, as you can use those too.

I just welded a bolt to the end of a piece of rebar, then another to the tip to make a T.

Ya want pictures, let me know.

I've done the closet dowel rod thing on the bench with an impact and always had good luck with it.

Using an impact while still mounted in the triples and with the fork springs still installed has also worked well.

Rusty

I've done the closet dowel rod thing on the bench with an impact and always had good luck with it.

Using an impact while still mounted in the triples and with the fork springs still installed has also worked well.

Rusty
Rusty,
Thanks I may try that. What year VMAX do you have?
Scott

It's a 99, I'm not sure why they quit putting the drain plug on there; kinda sucks.....especially when the boss is there and looks like it was intended to have a drain plug.

Rusty

Back