Danger? Help, 85 / 86 Front Wheel Distance Collar.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I'm working on an 85 or 86 front wheel. The Shop Manual Warning is as follows:

Yamaha has determined that a problem exists in the front wheel distance collar on 85 and 86 model VMax's. Yamaha replaced the original stepped distance collar with a straight collar. Inspect the distance collar in the front hub when working on these models. If necessary, take the collar to a Yamaha Dealer to determine if it should be replaced...

The collar in mine is pictured below, sure looks stepped to me. Can anyone explain the problem that was caused by the stepped collar? Anyone know the dimensions of the one that's supposed to be in there? And, How do I go about getting the correct one, assuming that mine is the one that's a problem?

Thank You....
Dave

Attachments

• 1985 86 Yamaha Distance Collar.jpg
    1985 86 Yamaha Distance Collar.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
i think the later ones don't have a change in OD....

Looks like the same collar to me. Only thing I could see it being a problem with would be axle installation if the inner spacer fell down inside the wheel so the axle wouldn't easily start into it.

Sean

YamahaPartsHouse .Com

Shown for 1985: 90560-17322-00

Shown for 1989: 90560-17322-00

Yamaha 96 Parts Manual 90560-17322-00

All the above appear Stepped, Confused? I am now..

The Warning is in my Clymer VMax Manual but I can't find another referance to the change anywhere????????????:bang head::bang head::bang head::confused2::ummm: WTF...

Looks like the same collar to me. Only thing I could see it being a problem with would be axle installation if the inner spacer fell down inside the wheel so the axle wouldn't easily start into it.

Sean

And only that.

In did the newer collar didnt had any change with OD - just a simple piece of pipe.
I should have one somewehre around.

Well after read your personal request I went to mine junk yard in a seek of that wheel:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9310

...and I was able to find it. Its 99 stocker.
I was suprised after disassembling cuz the collar is the same as pictured by you.
Stepped to 22mm OD from 24mm OD.
And I can even tell you why!

You will not be able to remove bearings without narrowing on the collar.
It need to slip out from center so you can put something inside and wack the bearing out - hitting straight to inner race.
I cant imagine this with straight collar.

Im not sure what someone was trying to say with words like "danger" and "collar" cuz I saw collars much more thinner then this one.
For sure its not about weakness - its about easy service IMO.

Hope that suits you.

I got that recall notice from Yamaha in 86 for my 85. I called the dealership and they told me what it was all about, so I just blew it off. Still no ill effect 19 K later.

Yesterday, my Wife and I went to the Dealer here in town. They've been around since Yamaha first started marketing bikes in the USA.

We stopped at the General Manager and he started us down a line of employees that might be able to answer the question. Stopped by Finance because I've known the guy since Junior High School. Just to say Hi. Parts came up with nothing at all on it. Went to a Service Writer who looked at everything he could think of but came up empty. Next we went to the mechanic who'd been there the longest. Nothing...

What we did find is that Yamaha is deleting a lot of their data base which seems Really Really Stupid. So, we spent about an hour and a half for nothing... No one has any clue there.

Why would this Clymer Manual give such a warning and not reference the problem??? Fukin Idiots... Just like with everything else I guess....:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Thanx for all the effort here, you guys know more than the best dealers.....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sounds like someone thought it was more important than it was. I wonder if it's in any other manuals?

I guess I should be a little more active sometimes but I get busy & barely have time to deal with my own stuff. I have access to a lot of Yamaha Dealers website (not all of it) & a lot of Harleys stuff(not that yall care but my customers do) I will help yall when I can just let me know & if I can I will let you.

Back