Dark side on Vmax 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craz Ace

Reaction score
Has anyone gone darkside on their 2nd gen Vmax 1700? And if so what tire are you using?

Darkside switching to Harleys lol
Darkside switching to Imports lol
Darkside switching to Car tires (which handle like shit and you lose pressure per square inch so actually less traction in some cases if the compound isn't made for it). They will last longer almost always again due to the compounds.

YEs. I'm back to the MC tires after a 50' cold commute... Tire never warmed up... However when heated it does work, pretty well. You really can't really tell there is a car tire there after a few minutes...

I was chasing that rear tire pretty hard on the twisties...

Oh Name is Jedz BTW Bought my Gen 2 a couple months ago and have over 4 K miles on it now...

ABSOLUTELY hate there is no good tires for this bike, the Shinkos seems to last a couple thousand miles tops.

Last edited:
Car tires? On a Gen II? Maybe if you're running a sidecar.

Don't be 'this guy!'
DarkSide_at_Dragon.jpg

That fad of attaching smoked covers to your headlights to get that 'Night Rider' look, why don't you just disconnect one headlight? The light output is probably similar. Another example of, "just-because you can, doesn't mean you should."

I hope some of our European friends can respond about the officials' views on this if you tried to show up at a TUV inspection so-equipped, or whatever they have for vehicle inspections in the EU and permitted equipment.

My favorite Redneck Engineering solution is this fifth wheel rig. Thank god he used the wide washers with those lag screws! 'Doubling-up' on the stock tailgate cable pair with the chain was sheer-genius! Wanna-bet he used open-eye machine screws to attach the chain, or perhaps it's just an 'S'-hook?
bad tow fifth-wheel.jpg

Nancy Reagan had it right: "Just-say NO!"

Last edited:
I passed State inspection here in the US and had the blessing from my insurer. If the tire is DOT approved, it can be used regardless of profile (guess that means you could run MC tires on cars). That's how it works for my state here in the United States.

109096400_10213317698095854_4349381620645980396_o.jpg

It was worth the experiment. Satan didn't come up from the ground and frogs didn't land on my head... All in all I'm back to the MC tire. It just warms up correctly. I still have my Darkside for I do intend to use it for drag racing. The lock up is incredible when heated up.

Best,

When the survivors of the guy in the fatal wreck sue the shop that installed it, we'll see. Because, "Murrica!"

Yes I could see using it at a drag strip.

As-for 'DOT Approved,' I'm sure there are plenty of Class 8 trucks being operated by commercially-licensed drivers who would have much to-say about that.

I'm just glad that you survived.

This firm is on lots of billboards in south Florida. They have multiple Florida offices.

https://www.forthepeople.com/motorcycle-accident-attorneys/
(from the above)
Product Liability
In some cases, a defect in your car, or the other party's car, could have led to the accident. In these cases, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the car or its parts to recover compensation for your injuries. In these circumstances, the attorney will have a conduct an investigation to study the car and determine whether it had any defects prior to the accident. He or she will work alongside forensic experts to determine whether:
  • The defective motorcycle or part was “unreasonably dangerous”
  • The motorcycle was being operated as intended
  • The motorcycle’s performance had not changed since its initial purchase
Some examples of what defects you may be able to file a product liability case for are defective tires, brakes, accelerators, and defective fuel systems.

Here in south Florida, whenever you go to a motorcycle shop for a new tire, they always warn you about scuffing-in the new tire because somebody here once took-off in a cloud of blue smoke testing their new tire, wrecked, and successfully-sued because they were not warned by the dealership, to break-in the tire. I've seen where the dealership will stamp a bill for work-done, "this vehicle is unsafe for road use, due to defects discovered, do not use until corrected."

Try getting a Yamaha dealership to install a car tire on your VMax, and let me know how that goes.

Last edited:
I hand spooned the tire on and rode the bike into the shop... I do all my own work.

As stated on the video (with actual footage of the tire going up the twisty mountain I live on) on that hot day it was adequate. As good as a bald Shinko 011... Not great and No way am I recommending it. It was good till it was too cold and it wasn't so good. Let people come to their own conclusion and I will say I will never condone anyone for trying it or using it. Way too much hate in this world already, I don't get chasing a fellow MC rider because he or she is doing something different. Feel bad for people that get so polarized on it... Really must not have enough joy in life.

Buddy did it for about 40K on his Wing and is back to MC tires. They truly work better for MCs (given) but hey I won't hate and it won't be the last time I run it (i'll try it again on the drag strip).

We are motorcyclists; masters of risk management. We alone know what is safe and not safe for OUR riding style. I think we are all just better if we try to understand instead of ridicule. We are all on this ride together.

Best,

Last edited:
Motorcycling is dangerous-enough without using equipment which decreases your agility, introduces the potential for poor handling in emergency situations, and is never going to be acknowledged by a car tire manufacturer as something they recommend. Some neophyte not-knowing any-better might make the mistake of installing a car tire on their motorcycle ("more-mileage, motorcycle tires are expensive") and end-up paying a big price when it fails to perform like a motorcycle tire. Sure, you're a more-experienced rider it seems, and you may be willing to accept that risk. We don't need to put obstacles in the way of riders trying to master the use of a motorcycle by those who are new to the activity. No-one's hatin' on anybody. No one's 'throwin'-shade,' as that phrase goes, a contemporary popular term for ridicule, if you may. Life is full of choices, leave car tires where they belong-on cars, not motorcycles. That's a choice, the right one.

I passed State inspection here in the US and had the blessing from my insurer. If the tire is DOT approved, it can be used regardless of profile (guess that means you could run MC tires on cars). That's how it works for my state here in the United States.

109096400_10213317698095854_4349381620645980396_o.jpg

It was worth the experiment. Satan didn't come up from the ground and frogs didn't land on my head... All in all I'm back to the MC tire. It just warms up correctly. I still have my Darkside for I do intend to use it for drag racing. The lock up is incredible when heated up.

Best,
Agreed. I just bought my gen 2 and have my darkside for when I burn up the OEM.... mostly for the track.
Question for you and your new gen 2..... any issues of going into 3rd gear..?

Attachments

• Sunfull.jpg
    Sunfull.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
are car tyres able to withstand the forces generated by leaning ?, heat deformity differences on the sidewall etc., as on a car they mostly stay level with the ground

are car tyres able to withstand the forces generated by leaning ?, heat deformity differences on the sidewall etc., as on a car they mostly stay level with the ground
generally speaking, yes, but probably for a limited time only. My days of 'sport biking' and playing around on the curves with pegs scraping are over... I ride differently now. I enjoy going places and seeing/doing things while on a bike. I remember when I was but young getting up at 3:30 in the morning just so I could take the 'long' way into work because I loved riding so much. :). However today, I prefer riding for weeks, not hours...
Darksiding is not for everyone or every type of riding... it would be foolish to think so.
Be cool and careful. Take care and use ride-on.com it's the real deal

I went Darkside on my 2000 Road Star that is set up for long distance cruising (I. E. 5400 mile trip 13 days). After my long trip Shinko was on wear bars (6k miles). Switch to double darkside mounted Dunlop Wintersport 175-60-16 on rear (run flat tire very stiff sidewall) and a rear MT90 (130 width) Michelin CIII Touring tire reversed up front. Works perfect and "should" last 25k miles. We will see. Not sure I would go darkside on a daily V max though.

Attachments

• 20201016_074449.jpg
    20201016_074449.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201011_172440.jpg
    20201011_172440.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 23
This is the first time I've come across 'darksiding' and am kinda shocked that anyone would even consider doing this. :eek: Ok so you save some money and accept the risk, but what about other road users that could be injured or killed due to an accident? Just becasue you have gotten away with it doesn't mean it right.

Over here in UK that would not be allowed.

5.2.3. Tyres
Spare tyres are not included in the inspection, but you should tell the presenter if you notice a defect.

Size and type

Examples of an unsuitable tyre are:
  • a sidecar or car tyre on a solo motorcycle - sidecars may be fitted with either car or motorcycle type tyres
  • a tyre specifically designed for front wheel use fitted to the rear wheel
  • a bias belted tyre fitted to the front with a cross-ply tyre fitted to the rear
  • a radial tyre fitted to the front and a cross-ply or bias belted tyre fitted to the rear.

Latest posts

Back