Darkside on gen 1 with sidecar

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incider

Reaction score
This should stir it up a bit, lol. I run with sidecars on both my gen 1 Vmax, femoral non union means I can't safely hold a bike up without a stabiliser.
I'm getting bored with back tyres that only last 5,000 miles and never lean over. Darkside makes sense for me. I've read all I can find about car tyre on a 15" rim and it's not going to be much fun.
Any suggestions for a pretty straightforward wheel to put in that will make the chance to get some serious miles out of the combinations.
Cheers

The car tire will last longer due to the scrubbing that tends to occur. A custom wheel or just grind down some of the bead and fit a car tire on it.

The car tire will last longer due to the scrubbing that tends to occur. A custom wheel or just grind down some of the bead and fit a car tire on it.
Exactly what I needed to know, looks like the bead will be lightly ground down and lubed up before the 165 80 15 goes on

Update on the darkside
Found a pair of fitted but unused 165 80 15's on ebay for £12.50 🤣 A mate helped me out by fitting the tyre. His only comment was plenty of lube on bead and tyre . And 95psi before it seated.
So far I'm loving it, plenty of drive but it will spin a little if I get enthusiastic 😉
I wouldn't consider it with a solo bike but for sidecar use I'm a convert. Might even put a rear tyre on the front but backwards

If you ever do I'd be mighty interested how that works out. I've a standard bike tyre on my trike.
It might happen very soon. Both the outfits have eaten the front tyres. Mot is in a month so I'm looking into a 130 rear tyre in reverse orientation on for that. As soon as I have a result I'll update here. Do you run telescopics or leading link on the trike?

It might happen very soon. Both the outfits have eaten the front tyres. Mot is in a month so I'm looking into a 130 rear tyre in reverse orientation on for that. As soon as I have a result I'll update here. Do you run telescopics or leading link on the trike?
Thanks. I'm using a stock front end. Currently rebuilding the OEM forks (springs & seals frelled). Maybe moving to R1's (much) later with raked trees.

Problem with 15 inch car tyres on 15 inch bike wheels. With 15 inch there are differences with dimensions and rim design. Sometimes no problems, but cannot be guaranteed. The issue is with how the tire bead fits in the wheel rim.
Rear tyres fitted to the front on a sidecar rig has become common in recent years. However, the jury is still out on the value of turning the tire round from the designated way, ie with the arrow pointing to the rear rather than forward. How could you tell the difference ? On the other hand there has to be some consideration of the design of the grooves cut in a tire. As these are there to deal with water on a road surface by channeling it away, it could be that benefit would be minimised by mounting the tire contrary to manufacturer guidance. Certainly not to be ignored in the UK !

Problem with 15 inch car tyres on 15 inch bike wheels. With 15 inch there are differences with dimensions and rim design. Sometimes no problems, but cannot be guaranteed. The issue is with how the tire bead fits in the wheel rim.
Rear tyres fitted to the front on a sidecar rig has become common in recent years. However, the jury is still out on the value of turning the tire round from the designated way, ie with the arrow pointing to the rear rather than forward. How could you tell the difference ? On the other hand there has to be some consideration of the design of the grooves cut in a tire. As these are there to deal with water on a road surface by channeling it away, it could be that benefit would be minimised by mounting the tire contrary to manufacturer guidance. Certainly not to be ignored in the UK !
What is the alleged benefit from having the tyre on backwards ?

What is the alleged benefit from having the tyre on backwards ?
It's to do with the way the tread is applied to carcase. To increase area of adhesive applied vs a straight butt joint

It's to do with the way the tread is applied to carcase. To increase area of adhesive applied vs a straight butt joint
Sounds the kind of "cafe discussion technology" that seeks to explain something that's designed to impress. However, evidence that can be understood by mere mortals appreciated.
The grooves in road tyres are designed to displace water and so enable the tyre rubber grip the road. An essential factor when braking and, especially with a sidecar outfit, steering. Again, the reason manufacturers put an arrow on the tyre wall.

So it's designed to have better structural integrity under acceleration load than for braking (at the rear) but you'd 'want to' have that the other way round at the front? Compromise being the tread pattern is the wrong way round, which would reduce braking efficiency (& steering grip) - in the wet?

So it's designed to have better structural integrity under acceleration load than for braking (at the rear) but you'd 'want to' have that the other way round at the front? Compromise being the tread pattern is the wrong way round, which would reduce braking efficiency (& steering grip) - in the wet?
Cant remember exactly where I found the info, probably on a sidecar group on fb. I'd imagine it's much worse having a front tyre on the back 😉

i don't know about the side car but that bike in the video has a radial tire on it that i have put on two other bikes and on that bike it stuck to the road and was more stabil than any of the bike tire it ever had and i road it wet dry cold hot so I ain't sayin to do it I'm just sayin that bike with that susp and a 200 rider it worked and handled better than any of the nylon tires i tried on it and the only reason i originally put it on was to lower my ratio at the track and after ridind it on the track i never took it off

Update on the darkside
Found a pair of fitted but unused 165 80 15's on ebay for £12.50 🤣 A mate helped me out by fitting the tyre. His only comment was plenty of lube on bead and tyre . And 95psi before it seated.
So far I'm loving it, plenty of drive but it will spin a little if I get enthusiastic 😉
I wouldn't consider it with a solo bike but for sidecar use I'm a convert. Might even put a rear tyre on the front but backwards
i was a double darksider on my goldwing everything worked great, and high milage

Back