Darkside thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have looked at several youtube videos and have done some reading on going to the darkside - and am curious about people's experience in doing this.

Going "Darkside" means mounting a car tire on the back of a bike.

I realize that this is a polarizing topic, but have yet to find definitive answers...

To start this off:

PROS:
cheapest path to switching to radial tires - you can buy 15 in radials close in size...
darkside tires supposedly last much longer
good wet weather traction

CONS:
most shops will not mount them (not sure if illegal?)
insurance companies may point to a darkside tire as a contributor to an accident and cite it as the reason they would not provide coverage (so I have read...)

Unknown:
how does the bike handle on twisties? (I keep reading "different")
how does a VMax behave with a darkside tire (looking for someone who has tried this to comment)

anyone care to share their experience?

I have considered picking up a stock rear wheel to throw a car tire on. You won't get much support for it here, but it's been done. I can't remember who did it. Might have been pop pop. I pm'd whoever it was about it when I first started to investigate it.

I wouldn't consider riding dark side on either of my Vmaxes, but have long ago converted my Honda Rune to the dark side of the force. Love it on the Honda, but can't imagine getting serious in the twisties with one of the more powerful Vmaxes while riding dark side. I have, on occasion, busted some hard twisties on the Honda, but not only am I hampered with the different characteristics of it's car tire side walls, I am also all too aware of it's limited ground clearance, and so, can't attack the curves quite as hard to begin with.

I mount my own tires, so dealing with a tire shop isn't a factor here.

Two different bikes. Two different main purposes. Both highly enjoyable.

LOL! Perfect!

No offense to anybody here who may have tried or is considering trying a car tire but...........that guy is exactly the kind of owner that pops into my head instantly when someone mentions sombody that tried it. :)

"There wasn't much contact patch, but there WAS contact patch..."

Yes, except that after the bike fell, there WASN'T a contact patch.

Priceless!

"I think I'm done dropping the bike for today."

Not sure what to say about that video. Entertaining is a good way to put it, I guess. :confused2:

As far as a car tire on a MC goes, I'm sure it works just fine. I've seen too many videos of guys riding on them to say it doesn't.

I have no intentions of putting one on my bike though.

My brother had one on, a little perelli,I forget the dims but will never forget how it hopped VIOLENTLY
when he tried to light it up. Like my 300 the video shows how the width raises up the back of the bike on a lean witch makes for a weird steering feel, the rear wheel track is outside of the front wheel track and you feel it.

Back