David Bowie R.I.P.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Thin White Duke, what a performer! Every day the stars keep on fallin'.

That's been the lead story on our local news. He was 69. He died after an 18 month battle with cancer.

One of my favorites is 'Panic in Detroit.' I lived in MI during the late '60's and went to college there. This song seems to capture some of the anti-establishment feelings of those times. Allegedly the song has reference to John Sinclair, a MI political activist who tweaked the Establishment's nose whenever he could. Sinclair had two felony arrests and when he got caught on a pot beef, supposedly giving two hand-rolleds to an undercover cop, he got something like 9 years' sentence.

Bowie was an original, he borrowed from many other forms of music to make his songs and the lyrics would make you think about the 'message.' The way he would 're-invent' himself periodically kept him at the forefront of music for decades.

He looked a lot like Che Guevara, drove a diesel van
Kept his gun in quiet seclusion, such a humble man
The only survivor of the national people's gang
Panic in Detroit, I asked for an autograph
He wanted to stay home, I wish someone would phone
Panic in Detroit

He laughed at accidental sirens that broke the evening gloom
The police had warned of repercussions, they followed none too soon
A trickle of strangers were all that were left alive
Panic in Detroit, I asked for an autograph
He wanted to stay home, I wish someone would phone
Panic in Detroit

Putting on some clothes I made my way to school
And I found my teacher crouching in his overalls
I screamed and ran to smash my favorite slot machine
And jumped the silent cars that slept at traffic lights

Having scored a trillion dollars, made a run back home
Found him slumped across the table, a gun and me alone
I ran to the window, looked for a plane or two
Panic in Detroit, he'd left me an autograph
Let me collect dust, I wish someone would phone
Panic in Detroit, panic in Detroit, panic in Detroit

Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/david-bowie/panic-in-detroit-lyrics/#2TA2P3r606KVqFub.99

Here's a great article on David Bowie which shows how he could work-hard, but with help from people he sought out. It's from Nile Rodgers, a musician and producer who's had great commercial success in both areas (Chic, INXS, Duran Duran, Madonna). Rodgers is a great guitarist, so I'm told, just listen to his music and you'll see. When Bowie and Rodgers made Let's Dance, they chose a TX rocker for lead guitar, you might have heard of him, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Rodgers could have done it himself, but Bowie wanted SRV, and SRV wanted to step-out of his expected body of work to help a friend. Now, it's probably one of the songs that people recall when they think of Bowie.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/david-bowie-changed-my-life-nile-rodgers-180120507.html

You can tell the guy had real affection for the way Bowie worked, and how the time he spent in a creative collaboration was one of the most satisfying things he's accomplished. I forget which one is Nile Rodgers...(below)

ad53fa86356ec8bd7bced12ee5bc8b422c472c2d.jpg

Back