DD clutch mod question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misiek93

Reaction score
I would like to do the double clutch spring mod but before I do I just want to make sure I understand what needs to be done.

As far as I can tell I will need to buy another clutch spring (1FK-16334-00-00), than all i have to do is remove the clutch over, remove the existing bolts, install the extra spring on top of the existing one, than re-install all the bolts and I'm done?

Is it really that simple or is there more to it:ummm: Also, will I need to buy longer bolts?

If you want to complicate it some there a "half friction" disc in your stock set-uo than can be replaced with a full friction disc.......:biglaugh:

If you want to complicate it some there a "half friction" disc in your stock set-uo than can be replaced with a full friction disc.......:biglaugh:
Nice and simple works just fine for me. Maybe when it's time for a new clutch...for now the simpler the better. Looks like I'll be ordering a new clutch spring today :punk:

I don't know how hard you ride but if your use to doing wide open throttle speed shifts from 1st to 2nd don't even think about it with your new spring in place until you've given it some time and learned the feel of it....

I did the DD and fresh plates and snapped my driveshaft in half the 1st time I tried to perform a 1-2 shift at WOT while just blipping/fanning the clutch.......had to learn a whole new clutch, throttle shifter dance with the new set up

I don't know how hard you ride but if your use to doing wide open throttle speed shifts from 1st to 2nd don't even think about it with your new spring in place until you've given it some time and learned the feel of it....

I did the DD and fresh plates and snapped my driveshaft in half the 1st time I tried to perform a 1-2 shift at WOT while just blipping/fanning the clutch.......had to learn a whole new clutch, throttle shifter dance with the new set up

Thanks for a heads up, I was hoping to be able to get the front wheel up in 2nd with this mod. Most of the time I ride pretty esay but once in a while someone pulls up next to you, especially on a 600 and gives you "the look" in that case I just can't help myself :biglaugh:. I do have the venture diff but with 17inch wheels I should be back to around stock gear ratio. That should help achieve my goal as well.

good to know... im doing the disks and extra spring tonight...

for the every day rider i'd say the DD might be a bit too tight, if the PCW is a 1.5x stock spring thats where i would go, given a stock master

job is done. very easy. jesus does it grab... i replaced the half disk and added a second spring. yikes. this thing is a real beast now.... gonna be a bad year for tires im thinking....

peace,
evan...

I like my DD clutch mod and yes it does grab!! I don't find the clutch pull that bad but then again I'm almost never stuck in heavy city traffic.

Nice and simple works just fine for me. Maybe when it's time for a new clutch...for now the simpler the better. Looks like I'll be ordering a new clutch spring today :punk:

How much do they charge for the spring ?????

thats gotta be us pricing... they fuck you here. 94 bucks. and i gotadeal on it apperantly...

peace,
evan...

I put a spring out of another 85 in mine, which I knew would be weaker than a new one, and my DD turned out just right. My clutch lever is slightly harder than it was and the clutch is awesome. You guy's doing the DD mod might want to check out putting in a used, weakened spring in if you are concerned about tightness of your clutch lever.

I am still a fan of the PCW spring I would buy it it before I would buy the stock one not much diffrence in price.

I agree, I've beed running the DD for a few years now and am a little tired of the effort when in stop and go traffic...

I have a PCW spring that I'm going to install when I put this motor back together.............

Get a 14mm clutch master. Makes a huge difference in lever effort if your running the DD.

As far as the OP....Not sure I would bother doing the DD mod without replacing the half disc in the back of the clutch basket with a full one and then throw away the spring, spring seat, and retaining wire.

I have a factory clutch spring from my 2003 with about 20,000 miles that I can send to someone for free if wanted for the DD clutch mod. I replaced it with the PCW kit. If you want it PM me your address and I'll send it out.

Back