dead chrome

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
So I took the engine guards off my bike and I'm going to sell them. Before I sell them though, I need to figure out wtf happened to the left one.....the chrome is seemingly gone. I used some chrome polish and that didn't bring it back to it's shiny state like the right side one is. See attached picture....

Any ideas?

Attachments

• S7301996.JPG
    S7301996.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 59
Hard to tell unless there was a process they skipped on that particular one. Being steel they can go straight to the chrome dip and skip the copper and nickel baths. Makes them not look as well though.

Sean

Hard to tell unless there was a process they skipped on that particular one. Being steel they can go straight to the chrome dip and skip the copper and nickel baths. Makes them not look as well though.

Sean

So you're saying that there's nothing that I can do to shine it up then?

could put them up anyways and see the hits...

i woulda bought for the right price and had them p/c'ed

Yep.....throw them up the way they are.....still in good shape just need powder coat:clapping:

Coating will be a lot cheaper then chroming. I have done both to them for customers. I don't remember the chrome price but I think it almost doubles the price you have in them. Coating is cheaper by a long way and they look good black.

Sean

mine off of NG's bike was like $60 to p/c, part of the reason they had to really be cleaned...

gotta wonder if u'll get more than the cost back of getting them P/C'd.. probably not, i'd sell them as is and let the owner maybe make up their mind on p/c or chrome, or if u know someone who will do it locally charge 10-20$ more than the cost of the p/c or chrome and say you will have it done once they buy it

Attachments

• SSPX0154.jpg
    SSPX0154.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SSPX0155.jpg
    SSPX0155.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 26
If they are the same make as mine the chrome quality sucks ass on them! I used to wax em and keep up on em but they never really impressed me with the chrome.. IN all honesty power coat em black they will blen in nicely and wont be costly.

This things are hot on EBAY!! Dont undersell them.. I have seen used ones sell for as high as 125.00 and yes I know ya can buy em new cheaper..
If a person made these they would make a killing,, also the back bitch bar.. both these items sell hot on ebay for some reason its a mod that a lot do.

Sean why dont you make engine gaurds or have figured out a way to make the bitch bar rest.. I wouldnt go near making the back rest due to legal reasons if it snapped and someone got hurt but the engine gaurds cant be all that hard to make with a tube bender and welder.

There is someone on eBay manufacturing and selling these in stainless steel. Someone is also selling header pipes in stainless. The vendor name for the guards is steelesnewparts, for the header pipes is mcparts4u. Might be worth checking out. If the header pipes auction includes all 4 in stainless, they might be something to use with slip-ons for better flow since they won't be double walled pipes.

Last edited:
I've looked at it a few times and if I got the compenents lazer cut and a bunch of pipe prebent that would be easy enough. The stainless ones on ebay are nice. I wanted to modify a set like I saw somewhere that had internal slides where they pulled out for cruising for a wider foot rest. Really slick conversion.

Someone in Europe makes a set that are about 1" wider.
Sean

I wanted to modify a set like I saw somewhere that had internal slides where they pulled out for cruising for a wider foot rest.

That would be slick, I'd think a similar design to that of adjustable crutches.

Just made of a beefier material, but the internal mechanism would be the same.

So I took the engine guards off my bike and I'm going to sell them. Before I sell them though, I need to figure out wtf happened to the left one.....the chrome is seemingly gone. I used some chrome polish and that didn't bring it back to it's shiny state like the right side one is. See attached picture....

Any ideas?
I'd be interested in a price for them as is too.

It kept pictures of these for future reference as I thought they were slick also.

Attachments

• 9b45_1.jpg
    9b45_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 95e4_1.jpg
    95e4_1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 10
  • a21f_1.jpg
    a21f_1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
Back