dead short on main wire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
So I fired up the bike at lunch and it died after a minute sitting in the driveway. Saw a little puff of smoke from I don't know where. Needless to say it blew the 30 amp fuse just above the positive terminal on the battery. Pulled sest, tank lid and airbox and can't seem to find anything obvious. It is drawing with key off as well. I don't have a wiring diagram near by so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions

I don't think think so, I wiggled all the wires around while looking for tubbed spots and tried a new fuse and it blows instantly.

I would pull the fuse and check the Pos Wire fromt the battery to the fuse block. Then you might need to check to the Ingition switch and the kill switch by the throttle. Let me look up the electrical and see what else is in there... I can't tell to much here at work but here is where you need to look. You might also check your ignition switch, maybe a wire came off that would cause it to draw with key off...

Attachments

• Vmax electrical system.JPG
    Vmax electrical system.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 17
Well problem solved. Voltage regulator is junk yet again and shorted out. I want to ride this weekend but no way i can get a regulator in time. I have an older fzr 600 parts bike out back, think I could rob that and make it work?

Yep, might have to fiddle with the wiring but should work just fine. Also, you can ride for a short period of time on battery power alone.

Maybe this pic might help you if you have the same connectors on the FZR?

Sean

Attachments

• Regulator Pin Position.jpg
    Regulator Pin Position.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
Well problem solved. Voltage regulator is junk yet again and shorted out. I want to ride this weekend but no way i can get a regulator in time. I have an older fzr 600 parts bike out back, think I could rob that and make it work?

I found the same thing a while back on one of Twisted's bikes. They seem to have a tendency to do this.....................

My H1 Kawi 500 'widowmaker' used to eat R/R's. A relatively easy fix in most bikes.

Tom is a busy 'Bee!":punk:

So I put the regulator on off the fzr and cooked that or have a bad stator. Going to test ac Voltage output and make sure that is good. What year R1 regulator is best? I read the thread on it and nobody seems to pick just one year range. Also are they all created equal or are the cheap ones on ebay just that? Also I need pigtails or connection kits, any thoughts on this?

Well I just ordered a shindengen kit, so hopefully that will clean up my issues. Now if my flatslides would ever show up life would be great.

Is there an intermittent ground on the current carrying wire(red) from R/R? Eliminate that by going straight to the battery. Fused is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back