Dealer 09 Vmax Technical Orientation Guide

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
I borrowed this service book from my dealer today.

One interesting thing I found is that the exhaust camshafts have what is called a Centrifugal Decompression Device built into them. It sounds like this acts as a compression release until the engine reaches 650 RPMs.

It states that the first air filter replacement is 24000 miles. It is a oil coated paper type filter.

The ABS brake system is the same as the 2008 FJR1300A. It states that the wheel sensors are very sensitive to shock and magnetic fields. Magnetic tools (screw drivers etc. must be kept away from the wheel sensor rotors.) Changing wheel bearing etc. may be complicated by tollerances required for wheel sensors.

Much of the guide is dedicated to setting the Multi Function Meter and Multi function Display. The shift light can be set for different shift point rpms at each gear change. It also apears to have a trip meter for oil changes and tire replacement.

This bike has loads of technical stuff! It apears to be a combination ot The R1 and FJR1300 rolled together. Hope all this stuff dosen't prove to be a headache down the road sometime.

Here are the gear ratios:

Primary Reduction Ratio 86/57 = 1.509

Reduction Ratio:
1st 38/16 = 2.375
2nd 38/21= 1.810
3rd 35/25 = 1.400
4th 29/26 = 1.115
5th 29/31 = 0.935

Secondary Reduction Ratio (22/23) x (29/9) = 3.082

After reading through this guide and examining the bike closely at the dealership today I think the new Vmax will be one of the best products produced by yamaha in respect to engineering and design. Someone did their homework on this one.

Very interesting! Any way of scanning the service book?

I saw the service manual as well, this bike has tons of sensors all over the place. To be honest, makes me a bit nervous being there's more potential for something to go wrong. I guess I'll find out in a few months!

After reading through this guide and examining the bike closely at the dealership today I think the new Vmax will be one of the best products produced by yamaha in respect to engineering and design. Someone did their homework on this one.

Well shit, I'd hope so.... more than 10 years in the making.

Looks like '09s are finally rolling in here in the states..... :punk:

The thing about all the sensors - it's like cars: newer ones with all the computer systems are amazing and great while they're new, but how will all these systems perform once they're 10 years and older??

And how much will it cost to troubleshoot and/or replace these kind of components?

Answers in 10 years' time...

Back