Deals gap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Reaction score
Just figured id share some pictures with you guys of my last trip down to the tail and some of my old bike. If anyone has never gone down there its a blast. You should do it. Had a buddy offer me to ride his 2014 bmw s1000rr this year but ill be bringing my max with me. I sure i wont beable to ride it like this.

FB_IMG_1455815021067.jpg

FB_IMG_1455815013687.jpg

FB_IMG_1455815006989.jpg

FB_IMG_1455814420713.jpg

FB_IMG_1455814408458.jpg

FB_IMG_1455814454506.jpg

FB_IMG_1455816124507.jpg

Just figured id share some pictures with you guys of my last trip down to the tail and some of my old bike. If anyone has never gone down there its a blast. You should do it. Had a buddy offer me to ride his 2014 bmw s1000rr this year but ill be bringing my max with me. I sure i wont beable to ride it like this. View attachment 52362

View attachment 52363

View attachment 52364

View attachment 52365

View attachment 52366

View attachment 52367

View attachment 52368

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Why not?

Well im sure i could once i get used to the bike. The max is prolly close to 150 to 200 pounds heavier. A little nervous about leaning like that on bias ply tires. Id had to have them slip out and go down. Just didnt imagine it would handle like a sport bike without doing some mods. I am gonna change out the handles bars so im sure thatll help a little bit.

Check out Marcus Hickman on the Dragon on his Vmax in the attached picture.
It's definitely doable.
He does have radials on his BUT if you throw a Shinko Tour Master 230 rear and a Bridgestone Batlaxx BT-45V (both BIAS ply) on your stock rims you could lean as far over as he is in that picture.
I've had mine leaned far enough to scrape the exhaust pipe joint cover quite a few times with those tires.
And I have Not had any issues staying with (or even in front of) a lot of guys that run radials on their Vmax through the twisties with that tire combo.
I'm sretty sure Marcus would loose me though. ;)

Attachments

• VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_3.jpg
    VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Scraped-exhaust-joint-cover-3.jpg
    Scraped-exhaust-joint-cover-3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Headded down that way end of Aug/beginning of Sept, plan on spending 5 days in the mountains!!!...............:punk:..............Tom.

It isn't that hard to lean a big, heavy bike once you get used to it. We have been going every year for the past 7.

Attachments

• thumb_1402612841CP_N5194.jpg
    thumb_1402612841CP_N5194.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27
Check out Marcus Hickman on the Dragon on his Vmax in the attached picture.
It's definitely doable.
He does have radials on his BUT if you throw a Shinkp Tour Master 230 rear and a Bridgestone Batlaxx BT-45V (both BIAS ply) on your stock rims you could lean as far over as he is in that picture.
I've had mine leaned far enough to scrape the exhaust pipe joint cover quite a few times with those tires.
And I have Not had any issues staying with (or even in front of) a lot of guys that run radials on their Vmax through the twisties with that tire combo.
I'm sretty sure Marcus would loose me though. ;)

Well maybe im underestimating lol thats a pretty awesome picture.

Headded down that way end of Aug/beginning of Sept, plan on spending 5 days in the mountains!!!...............:punk:..............Tom.

Im going down this year the beggining of may. Wish i had the money for 2 trips this year. I love it down there.

its my backyard playground . I was out there today my Wing tends to drag a lot of parts out there.

Attachments

• sunday dragon 1.jpg
    sunday dragon 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 129 slayer 2.jpg
    129 slayer 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 30
  • close up dragon wing picture.jpg
    close up dragon wing picture.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
It isn't that hard to lean a big, heavy bike once you get used to it. We have been going every year for the past 7.
I used to live in North Raleigh, NC and went up the NC mountains camping every Fall with a bunch of friends and I always took my Vmax with me.
I rode the Dragon quite a few times back in the early 2000's and loved it.
To be honest though we had just as much fun on other local roads as we did at Deal's Gap.
The nice thing was that it was no where near as popular back then and since we all had NC tags so the cops pretty much ignored us.
I heard they are pretty strict when it comes to exceeding the speed limit now.

I used to live in North Raleigh, NC and went up the NC mountains camping every Fall with a bunch of friends and I always took my Vmax with me.
I rode the Dragon quite a few times back in the early 2000's and loved it.
To be honest though we had just as much fun on other local roads as we did at Deal's Gap.
The nice thing was that it was no where near as popular back then and since we all had NC tags so the cops pretty much ignored us.
I heard they are pretty strict when it comes to exceeding the speed limit now.

Alot of the other roads are better than the actual dragon. Cherohala skyway is my favorite. Big long sweeping triple digit curves :punk:

Alot of the other roads are better than the actual dragon. Cherohala skyway is my favorite. Big long sweeping triple digit curves :punk:

Yep I like the Cherohala better & the Devils Triangle & actually like moonshiner better believe it or not the Dragon gets old after a while . It is more fun right now when its not tourist season. And yes you can get used to leaning a Heavy bike just look at the pics of my old wing.

It was ALL I could do to keep Marcus in sight two years ago while riding mountain roads near Thunder in the Valley - and I was on my Gen 2! He & Ron's O9, from NY, got into a battle in the twisties on the way back to the motel on the Saturday ride, and I had to play catch up when I got out of our previous pull over a bit late. And although I never could catch those two, I had an awesome front row seat to watch them battle it out in the curves. I'll never forget the fun we had that afternoon.

Back