Death wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need steering head dampener suggestions. Thanks happy holidays Dave The Carpenter
As the Captains suggests ensuring the bearings are in good condition and set up correctly you don't need a damper.
Also check wheel bearings and run-out and that both fork tubes are parallel.

All that fitting one would do is try and mask the real problem.

I'm with MM on this one. There are several items that contribute to the 'tank slapper', you need to check and correct each one until the problem goes away.

Head bearings, wheel bearings, tyres, wheel balance, fork damping and shocks is where I'd start.

Brother Dave; I suggest you get the stabilizer. All the vmax riders that never have any problems don't ride hard enough to ever have one. It's usually a tail wagging the dog scenario. Back tire etc. Usually 115mph and up. I would think all those items mentioned would be good in a new bike and they shook. Sorry I can't help ya with stabilizer experience, it's too late for two of my maxes.

I liked the video but would like to see same think directed at road bikes. I would think low speed damping isn't important to v max owners and could be backed off but not sure(no experience).

Brother Dave; I suggest you get the stabilizer. All the vmax riders that never have any problems don't ride hard enough to ever have one. It's usually a tail wagging the dog scenario. Back tire etc. Usually 115mph and up. I would think all those items mentioned would be good in a new bike and they shook. Sorry I can't help ya with stabilizer experience, it's too late for two of my maxes.

If you are suggesting that he needs to ride at 115+ then it's not a steering damper he would need, more like an undertaker? :rolleyes:

In my state, poor law enforcement and long empty roads means I can ride hard and consistent high speeds at long stretches at a time. I have no need for a steering stabilizer and never had a wobble with good tires. Either my Gen 1 or my Gen 2. A stabilizer is a bandaid for a problem on the bike.

Greetings from Finland!

I’m new to this forum and also to life with a vmax as I got my ’86 just last summer.
I had some wobbles at ”high” speed cornering (roughly +100km/h) and couldn’t get it fixed any way. Then I found out about this masterpiece from Vmax club Finland and it strenghtened the front end enough to solve my problems and get the steering a lot more better. Sorry for the finnish website but hope you understand the piece they’re selling.
Keulan vahvikepala 1985-1993 | Vmax Club Finland

I wouldn't ride it until races and bearings are inspected and adjusted. Too much pre-load gives a low speed weave, loose adjustment or worn races=tank slapper. +1 to checking everything you guys mentioned to check. Few of our rides if any, Christian & me, don't see triple digits. But everything we could do excluding a stabilizer has been done. I'd rather spend the money on gas &tolls, myself. Around here
if you're going under 85 mph best get in the right lane, on the highway anyway.

Last edited:
Sandy, thanks for your input. I also read of the death wobble being present in new Max’s back in the day. My front tire is new and balanced by a local dealer. At the same time , the fork seals were changed so I assumed ( I know....I’m an ass...) the head bearings were adjusted at reassembly. Maybe the seals were replaced w/o the steering head having been removed. I’ll ask. The rear tire is somewhat worn. I’ll replace that and see if it helps. The wobble occurs at 115 and above. I’ve seen 130 sans wobble but that was a while back. Bike has 22k miles, is immaculate, but stuff wears out so........Finally, sometimes I wonder if it’s rider input. With the throttle cranked wide open, and me ducking the breeze, I wonder if I’m pushing the right side bar and causing the problem, I’ll keep chasing that dog till I figure it out cause I want to do the Texas Mile . And as an aside, I’ve seen claims of stock Max’s touching 150. “ I’ve had mine over 150 many times”.....bullshit claims like that....... The Texas Mile , to me, is the place to find out. I’m not one of these idiots who think the Interstate is the place . Plus, I’m 72, so if I’m gonna crash....the Mile is the place to do it. Medical people on site. Thanks again, Sandy. Merry Christmas/Kwanza/Hannukah/Festivus. Semper Fidelis Dave Heitman

I also read of the death wobble being present in new Max’s back in the day.

I'm curious about this ^^^^

I would have thought Yamaha, and other motorcycle manufacturers would have very experienced riders, probably ex-factory racers, test their bikes who would push them further than most of us on here ever would or are capable of hence am a bit surprised they would release a bike with an inherent very dangerous problem.

I'm curious about this ^^^^

I would have thought Yamaha, and other motorcycle manufacturers would have very experienced riders, probably ex-factory racers, test their bikes who would push them further than most of us on here ever would or are capable of hence am a bit surprised they would release a bike with an inherent very dangerous problem.

IMO they didn't.

maybe different sized and shaped riders make a difference, but that would probably apply to all bikes

IMO they didn't.

That's an opinion, not a fact.

I've briefly trawled through t'internet and although I cannot find any articles about what testing the factory carried out, a number of magazines did reviews. MCN comment on the handling but none mention death wobble.

I'm happily to be corrected, but am I'm sticking to the opinion that the cause is due to an out of spec. (e.g. worn) component rather than inherent problem in the design.

Back