Debris inside mufflers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrapi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a stock muffler that the previous owner stored in lousy conditions, with the intakes up, and it's filled with little rocks and grains of sand...
I managed to get most of them out by juggling the mufflers and blowing with a compressor, but there are some still remaining, no matter how much I shake it.
Is this a cause for concern, should I open the pan to remove the remaining dirt and resolder it?

If you're really that-concerned, I'd remove the exhaust, and using various ways of positioning and blowing compressed air through the system, clear it out that way. It's possible that some varmint crawled into there and used it as a storage space for nuts or something. No I wouldn't cut it open.

If you're really that-concerned, I'd remove the exhaust, and using various ways of positioning and blowing compressed air through the system, clear it out that way. It's possible that some varmint crawled into there and used it as a storage space for nuts or something. No I wouldn't cut it open.
The mufflers were stored with the intakes open, facing up, without any cover. That's why they are filled with crap... I haven't put them on the bike yet.
I'll give it another go with compressed air.

Should I be worried about any left over junk getting suck back into the engine?

....then lots of Wide Open Throttle! :D
:cool:

I would put it in the oven on 325 degrees F. Let it bake up to temperature, probably about an hour. If a bunch of smoke starts coming out, that'll be because something organic fell down in it (nuts, whatever). Just let it burn out.

You'll want to unplug your smoke detectors and open up the windows before hand.

If it does start smoking like that, just let it bake 'till it stops.

If it never starts smoking at all, then you could have actual pieces of the mufflers in there that have been knocked loose through corrosion or something along those lines. If that's the case, don't worry about it. Bolt them on and ride.

I'm pretty sure that there is no organic material inside the mufflers.

This is how they where stored:
IMG_20211112_141401.jpg

And this is some of what's inside:
IMG_20211112_141408.jpg

I managed to get most of it out, but can still ear some rattling noises.

Keep shakin til it all comes out, you may come across a gold nugget.

Could it be that the innards are rusty and crumbling away?

BTW an engine isn't going to suck any of that up.

Use a scope adapter on your cellphone to have a 'look-see.'
Used one today and couldn't see any rocks or sand inside. It looks in pretty good condition, without much corrosion, at least to my untrained eyes 🧐

I'll keep using the air compressor and a tube connected to my shop vac. Also, juggling the stock mufflers around is a good workout for my arms 😅

My bike is up and running with aftermarket mufflers, that make great sound, but next year motorcycle inspections become mandatory in Portugal, so I'll probably need the stock ones...

but next year motorcycle inspections become mandatory in Portugal, so I'll probably need the stock ones...
I wish we still had inspections. (Georgia, United States.)

Used to, you had to have your vehicle inspected to make sure it's safe to drive on the road. They did away with it for some stupid reason so now you have cars with no bumpers or hood or anything driving around, trucks with tires that stick out the fender well 6 inches, motorcycles with tires so worn out they're nothing but belts...

It's freaking ridiculous. And dangerous as hell.

Latest posts

Back