deer + rain = not so good for forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedarkhelmut

Reaction score
Ok so the main reason for this post..

I need to replace my chrome fork uppers. I am riding a 93. i believe that i also may need to replace my triple as its now torque.

for the reasoning...

Went on a ride this weekend, While on my way home from this weekend ride, I was going through the Bear mountain area if lower NY state. it’s beautiful if any of you guys are in the area.

I must have passed 4 set of Deer along the road while I was riding along. Knowing they are notorious for darting across the road, I slowed down every time i saw some..
Well this small herd came out of the woods at break neck speeds right in front of me. There was little I could do... I went right into the side of this huge Buck. This was not before I saw him out of the corner of my eye and pulled quickly to the right.

Fortunately for me, I was only going 40 when I hit and knowing that it was inevitable that I was going to dump it I aimed for a patch of grass to my right. Grass is a lot softer than pavement in my books!

The bike didn’t however come out unscathed. I now have bent fork uppers, Handlebars, case guards (mangled), shifter lever and some other minor damage.

I was able to make some minor repairs to the shifter lever on the spot and dug the dirt and grass of the machine. Once I had my whit’s back with me I ended driving it back home the last 220mi on the back roads (with bent forks and all)

Anyone know where I can get a decent set of replacement uppers for a 93 Max for a decent price? (short of saying eBay or ronnies) and maybe any tools i may need to replace them.

any suggestions?

chris

That was a dramatic entry to the VMF if I've ever heard one...:biglaugh:

Welcome to the Forum, Good Luck putting your Max back in shape.

Very happy to hear that you survived injury...

Chech With Sean Morley / Morley Muscle for parts.

Link is at the top and or bottom of the page here.

glad to hear you got to walk away from it, and ride the bike home, holy moly man you got lucky.

jeeze man glad ur ok. if i can help at all let me know i'm in franklin.

glad to hear you got to walk away from it, and ride the bike home, holy moly man you got lucky.

+1 WOW!!!

Welcome to the best place on the net.....and talk to Morley's Muscle...

i think theres 3 maxes getting parted out on ebay as we speak. various years. oh and welcome to the forum

One thing I failed to mention was that, like the bike, I did not come out unscathed either. I ended up breaking a finger on each hand. can I say that it was a fun 220mi ride home.

I’m now looking at boxenstopp. They have fork uppers for a good price that certainly beats the 256.00 each of the OEM. I’m also thinking (while I have them open) about installing some of the racetech emulators and all new seals guides.

Does anyone here have experience with these parts. I want to make sure that the racetech springs and emulators are worth the high price they cost. I think it was $169 for just the emulators alone.

I have never done a set of forks before so this will be a new experience for me. Any tips and or suggestions would be helpful. If you happen to have an online guide to rebuilding a set of forks I wouldn’t be opposed to that either. LOL But seriously, I know that I’m going to need a 43mm seal driver are there to be any other tools that are going to be needed for this?
thanks in advance.

chris :punk:

Thanks mattness for all the links. Believe it or not, most of the common parts that get damaged, (scoops, side covers, exhaust etc.) didn?t get damaged. Most of it seems to be centered around the forks and those are only bent minimally. the top part of the triple tree is now twisted to the left. I believe this was from the handlebars digging into the grass that i had aimed for when i saw that little brown bastard coming for me.

So I really lucked out when it comes to the amount of damage that it received. forks notwithstanding. Thank god too. I have all the brushed aluminum all chromed. Seriously it was a cr?me puff before this accident.

All joking aside, I feel that I?m lucky that it wasn?t worse. I could have easily been hurt far worse than i am. I would like to say that it was skill that saved me but I?m not that arrogant. It was more luck than anything else.

Chris

I have Race Tech emulators and springs on my Max. Also had them on a Suzuki Bandit. I am sold on them. The only mistake I made was going from the .95 springs on the Bandit to the 1.0 springs on the Max. It made the front too stiff. I don't weigh enough for the 1.0 springs (170 lbs dressed). I think you need to be 225 lbs plus for the 1.0 springs. The springs are not progressive so you don't have the initial dive that the Progressive springs have. I put the Progressive springs on my first Max. Like the Race Tech a little better but either is ok.

The racetech parts are great but most people like the progressives just fine and are a lot cheaper. I sell all that stuff and can even sell a set of forks ready to install on an exchange basis even (just would have you send back the fork lowers and all the internals). Years of the forks I have on hand vary as does condition.

Not sure how much Joe gets but you can always check with me too. Email me directly with your info and i'll see what I can do.

If you want to do the work yourself it's not all that difficult and I have self help videos on here in the Morleys Muscle section of the forum.

Sean

One thing I failed to mention was that, like the bike, I did not come out unscathed either. I ended up breaking a finger on each hand. can I say that it was a fun 220mi ride home.

I?m now looking at boxenstopp. They have fork uppers for a good price that certainly beats the 256.00 each of the OEM. I?m also thinking (while I have them open) about installing some of the racetech emulators and all new seals guides.

Does anyone here have experience with these parts. I want to make sure that the racetech springs and emulators are worth the high price they cost. I think it was $169 for just the emulators alone.

I have never done a set of forks before so this will be a new experience for me. Any tips and or suggestions would be helpful. If you happen to have an online guide to rebuilding a set of forks I wouldn?t be opposed to that either. LOL But seriously, I know that I?m going to need a 43mm seal driver are there to be any other tools that are going to be needed for this?
thanks in advance.

chris :punk:

forks aren't bad, if i'm available and its not too far i can def help out.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your encounter with the woods rats , but you did survive , and many haven't .

As you can tell , we like to help. I have Race Tech springs with emulators on my '90 , set up for 190 lb. rider when I weighed 210 , ( as I was instructed to do by older & wiser Vmax bros. ) and they have delivered as promised. The '90 has the smaller forks , but it handles like my '98 ( prior to usd forks ) . Good luck with your re-build.

:punk:

The racetech parts are great but most people like the progressives just fine and are a lot cheaper. I sell all that stuff and can even sell a set of forks ready to install on an exchange basis even (just would have you send back the fork lowers and all the internals). Years of the forks I have on hand vary as does condition.

Not sure how much Joe gets but you can always check with me too. Email me directly with your info and i'll see what I can do.

If you want to do the work yourself it's not all that difficult and I have self help videos on here in the Morleys Muscle section of the forum.

Sean

Hey Sean,

I juust watched your videos on fork dis/assembly. you and your daughter make it look easy. I especially loved your seal driver tool. that is very inventive and makes a lot of sense. why use a steel piece that can damage the seals when cheap plastic pipe is available. I love to see people being inventive!
you rock~! :punk:

Latest posts

Back