del

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Official statement: 84 GoldWings are best bikes in the world and 84 was the best year. Same about 84 Corvettes. :)
Hopefully everybody will calm down about this thread in next week/month/year/century.👍
Now let us talk about best engine oil...:D
The best GW I had was 86 fuel injected. Some guy flew from TX and rode it back.
The only problem it had, when I bought it, was dead fuel pump, which was fixed by hitting it with a hammer couple times. Let us see how many angry comments this post will get. ;)

Last edited:
I have an 84 Goldwing Standard which IMO looks pretty good. If there WAS a problem with it someone please tell me what it was other than usual maintenance. Why do people who have NO idea what they're talking about spew off useless nonsense?

View attachment 83165f
That's a beautiful machine approaching 40 yrs old but most of us still looked good at 40, LOL.

That's a beautiful machine approaching 40 yrs old but most of us still looked good at 40, LOL.
I have an opportunity to get a 84 v65 magna. Cheap
Needs carbs put back on.other than that it's all stock.
I will sell it.no need for it.

I worked on my friend's similar vintage V45 Magna, I'd rather do two VMaxes rather than 1 V45 carburetors set. Two guys who worked on fire-rescue with me bought brand-new V45 Magnas when they came out, I was riding a DOHC CB750F at the time, another guy had a KZ750 standard, and they were all close to one another in performance.

If the bike has no issues after the restoration of a functional induction system, someone should be happy. I wouldn't just throw someone's work on the bike though, I'd go through them myself, to ensure things are correct, and to lessen the chances of having to remove 'em and and to tear 'em down, fix the botched work, and then remount 'em. :mad::confused:🤔

I worked on my friend's similar vintage V45 Magna, I'd rather do two VMaxes rather than 1 V45 carburetors set. Two guys who worked on fire-rescue with me bought brand-new V45 Magnas when they came out, I was riding a DOHC CB750F at the time, another guy had a KZ750 standard, and they were all close to one another in performance.

If the bike has no issues after the restoration of a functional induction system, someone should be happy. I wouldn't just throw someone's work on the bike though, I'd go through them myself, to ensure things are correct, and to lessen the chances of having to remove 'em and and to tear 'em down, fix the botched work, and then remount 'em. :mad::confused:🤔
Sold my V65 end of last summer for 2300 and she was aged with 70K but still fast as hell.

I recall the V65 Magna's release, it was a big deal, and it shredded any and all H-D's of any type. Well, I'm sure somewhere there was a hand-grenade Big Twin that could give it a run for its money, but for OEM set-ups, no H-D could probably come within three or four seconds of the Big Magna.

Retrospective: 1983-1986 Honda VF1100C V65 Magna | Rider Magazine

The stance of the V65 Magna front end reminds me of a college roommate back around 1970 who had a pair of extended fork tubes on his Kawasaki Mach III two-stroke air-cooled triple. It took very-little in the way of throttle for the front end to be waving in the air, out of contact with terra firma, while the rear tire painted a black stripe onto the macadam. Several years later I had a '71 Mach III and carrying a passenger and wicking-up the throttle was guaranteed to result in a big, lurid wheelie, scaring the bejezzus out of the person clinging desperately to the pilot.

The V65 was all of a piece, and it ruled the roost until the fall of 1984, and the release of the VMax, which wrote a story still told in garages, about bikes returning to the dealerships with single-digit odometer readings, and heavy crash damage due to over-enthusiastic, under-skilled riders writing right-hand checks on the use of the throttle their dynamic skills couldn't safely-cash.

There is important info about V65 for owners. But I am not going to provide any info, considering last hurricane after 84 GW and Corvette info. Good luck, doing research!!!! ;)
I had 85 Sabre V65

First year I believe of the Twin Cam, it was balanced, the Softail got a non-balance shaft engine the next year, I believe.

First year I believe of the Twin Cam, it was balanced, the Softail got a non-balance shaft engine the next year, I believe.
Yeah I'm not an expert on the Dyna, I think the story was that the engineers did too good of a job reducing vibration and this caused the shift drums to half shift and false neutral for the first year (99) so they did away with the balancers and put 3 springs on the shift forks in 2000? The 99 to 03 used the Timken lower end. This ole girl was layed down on the right side (I showed off the good side) and the prior owner went to the hoosgow. I got it from the tow yard, I do computer work for the owner. She is gonna need some lovin:)

I like H-D's, not a big owner of multiples of 'em, but they are fun to ride in their best area of function. That's cruising, w/o wringing its neck constantly, the way many ride a VMax ('wringing its neck'). Maybe the new engines like the Sportster Revolution 1250 or whatever it is, is more-susceptible to beating on it.

That should clean up nicely.

I like H-D's, not a big owner of multiples of 'em, but they are fun to ride in their best area of function. That's cruising, w/o wringing its neck constantly, the way many ride a VMax ('wringing its neck'). Maybe the new engines like the Sportster Revolution 1250 or whatever it is, is more-susceptible to beating on it.

That should clean up nicely.
Over the years my riding style has changed as it does for many.
In my younger years I loved the feeling of speed and getting in the zone on a ZX in the curves.
As I am aging I ride mostly in the speed limit, "Cruising" and just enjoying the zone at a slower speed.
For a long time I had the opinion that HDs were lacking in suspension and braking and they are if your pushing triples.
Now I realize the reason for HD wanting is that they don't need it if ridden within the capability of the machine and the appeal I find in them is the simplicity, comfort and "feel". Ironically the very thing I like about them is now being engineered out of them, introducing modern tech and components.
In a selfish way, I don't care much as there will be plenty of used "old tractors" available as long as I am alive.

Back