Delkavic full exhaust system on gen 1 any good?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnymax

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these systems? They sound great but I was wondering if the performance is as good or slightly better than stock? looking at the 4 to 2 with single crossover. They look pretty decent for the price on their website..

Thanks in advance.. delkavic system.jpg

I'd ask Sean Morley or Captain Kyle what they have used for an aftermarket full exhaust, they both have access to new, too. Search under one2dmax and exhaust for pics of Sean's stuff [email protected], and email Kyle at [email protected] for his current used inventory. I know that Sean says he likes the Mark's exhausts. I have one of those, a 4/1, which I don't believe he (Mark, the manufacturer) currently offers.

I have a BNIB Delkevic set of front header pipes, waiting for me to get-around to using them. Delkevic sells a complete new 'looks-like OEM' system, which is subtly-different, it has a large-bore balance pipe instead of the OEM resonator box, and the stock-appearing single piece megaphones have a slightly-different set of pipe shields; to the casual observer, they would appear stock.

Last edited:
No, the Delkevics sound good but will not give a gain in performance. You need a full system. I have a few new systems available and used stock varies. Best to email me at [email protected]

Not on a Gen1 but I have the Delkevic's on my Gen2, they sound really great and are well built...don't believe they added to the performance outside of ridding the bike of the cat.

1620223729910.png

Fellas the pic I posted is the full system. I want to dump the cobras and possibly make a few ponies over stock. Will this complete system do that?vmax pic.jpg This system looks pretty clean and I like the 4-2-2 with crossover to maintain power. I do not want to dump the cobras if Im not gaining performance.

I bought a used stock collector and it has road rash on it and looks like crap, otherwise I would go that way...

This system looks pretty clean and I like the 4-2-2 with crossover to maintain power. I do not want to dump the cobras if Im not gaining performance.

I bought a used stock collector and it has road rash on it and looks like crap, otherwise I would go that way...

1] Ridding your bike of the Cobras will increase your power. Just like/by that. Strapping-on your rashed-up OEM system will increase your RWHP, immediately, by doing nothing else, besides confirming your carburetors don't have the useless "Stage 1" set of mods. If they don't have the OEM jetting at-least restore the carburetors to that, to re-gain the HP lost running a Stage 1 system. In Dynojet, it's Stage 7 (with a good known-quality HP-producer full exhaust) or 'go-home.' Of course, there are other jet kits: Factory Pro, and Sean 'Morley's Muscle' induction kit.

2] If you're gonna replace the entire system immediately, then I suppose I'd hold-off on installing the OEM megaphones. However, if you will be researching things for a bit, I'd install the OEM dual-megaphone system, scratched as it is, confirm what jetting is in it, and deal with that if it's been changed. Stock Mikuni main jets are normally 152.5. You could try going to 150 or 147.5, as you're essentially at sea-level. The bike should be 'crisp,' w/that change alone, assuming the other jetting is already stock. You will be amazed at the difference in performance between the bike, once you get rid-of the Cobra 4-into-4's. It will make the installation of the complete aftermarket, proven-performance system, an anticipation of 'better things yet to-come.' If going from the Cobras back-to OEM has that much positive difference, to jump to a proven aftermarket exhaust full system should yield similar results, above the return to OEM megaphones, once the carburetors are jetted properly, for throttle response, and power.

3] Your post w/the pic in #5, whose is that? It appears to-be the Mike Lee continuation of the UFO Quadzilla system, but you're who posted it, so you tell us.
StreetPro 4-2-4 Exhaust w/ Polished Quadzilla Mufflers - Ceramic Coated (85-07 All) - Star Rider Performance (SRP) Currently lists at $1400 for the full system. You need the larger header pipes which are part of this system to make the greater HP that a full exhaust replacement provides. Looking at the pipes to the balogna-cut mufflers, of the set you posted the pic of, and comparing that to the SRP system, it appears the SRP headers into the exhaust canisters are noticeably-larger.

Last edited:
my bike had rusty front downpipes when I bought it and I looked for a different system to replace it, when I looked at exhaust options in the UK, Delkevic adverts that said 'full' systems never showed a picture of the rear downpipes, so not really 'full' systems,
as I liked the look and sound of the Laser Pro stock mufflers that were on my bike I decided on just new front downpipes and bought the Delkevic's which are chrome,
the reason I'm writing this is because while they look nice they are not impressive when it comes to quality, the clamping brackets had sharp edges on them which if you remove you leave bare metal to rust quickly, but in reality that doesn't matter as the chrome is so thin the exhaust rusts anyway as soon as it gets wet, I also had to ream out the weld bead from inside the pipe at the head area where the flange is attached as it was about 4mm thick all the way around which is/was a restriction to flow, I think their full systems are chrome downpipes and stainless mufflers, my friend has their mufflers on his BT1100 and the edges on them can cut you,
maybe I'm unlucky with mine or just too finicky, but be aware anyway

ps. hp figures for my bike with its exhaust set up don't bother me, it makes me grin widely and that is enough for me 😁

Thanks for the input everyone. Fire Medic my current exhaust is the cobra slip ons, it maintains the stock mid pipe crossover. I think Im gonna fix the rash on the stock pipes and have them re-chromed. I think the stock mufflers look the best IMHO and after reading about the cobras just going back to stock would be fine..

Thanks for the input everyone. Fire Medic my current exhaust is the cobra slip ons, it maintains the stock mid pipe crossover. I think Im gonna fix the rash on the stock pipes and have them re-chromed. I think the stock mufflers look the best IMHO and after reading about the cobras just going back to stock would be fine..
Yeah, I don't believe you can "maintain the stock mid pipe crossover," as the resonator chamber and the megaphones are a single welded unit. I don't know what your chroming costs are there, but in so, FL, they are $$$$! I suggest just swapping-on your OEM megaphones to see what a difference getting rid of the Cobra 4-into-4's is, for performance, and if you like the looks, just try to find a better set somewhere close-by at a reasonable price. I've bought and shipped the OEM resonator box/chromed megaphones, it's not cheap.

I've often thought of fabricating something to cover the rear sides of the OEM megaphones, where they're at their largest dia, as that's usually where they get road rash when in an accident. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not a skilled fabricator, but I know-some. Who can guess the frame and the heart of this beast?
Under Pressure GSXR-Hyabusa.01.jpg

my bike had rusty front downpipes when I bought it and I looked for a different system to replace it, when I looked at exhaust options in the UK, Delkevic adverts that said 'full' systems never showed a picture of the rear downpipes, so not really 'full' systems,
as I liked the look and sound of the Laser Pro stock mufflers that were on my bike I decided on just new front downpipes and bought the Delkevic's which are chrome,
the reason I'm writing this is because while they look nice they are not impressive when it comes to quality, the clamping brackets had sharp edges on them which if you remove you leave bare metal to rust quickly, but in reality that doesn't matter as the chrome is so thin the exhaust rusts anyway as soon as it gets wet, I also had to ream out the weld bead from inside the pipe at the head area where the flange is attached as it was about 4mm thick all the way around which is/was a restriction to flow, I think their full systems are chrome downpipes and stainless mufflers, my friend has their mufflers on his BT1100 and the edges on them can cut you,
maybe I'm unlucky with mine or just too finicky, but be aware anyway

ps. hp figures for my bike with its exhaust set up don't bother me, it makes me grin widely and that is enough for me 😁
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Delkevic system for my Gen 1 - I'm a bit concerned now though regarding the quality issues you have highlighted. 🙄 incidentally, did you have to re-jet or were the stock jets ok?

no jetting as dimensions are the same as stock, keep on top of cleaning and they'll look ok but will get little bits of pitting here and there, just condensation did it to mine, no idea how they'll be if regularly used on wet roads though

I have a set of Delkevic downpipes. Due to the way they are welded, the weld actually reduces the diameter of the pipe close to the front cylinders by 1 or 2 mm. Furthermore, the gaskets delivered with it are horrible and disintegrated on installation. Finally, the flanges on the side of the muffler were a bit too wide due to way the chrome was attached. The chrome sagged a bit resulting in a much thicker layer of chrome right at the end of the flange. Needed to grind that down to make it fit.

On the up site: I`ve been driving around with them for 8 years or so and they are still looking good...

I suppose if you wanted to, you could send 'em out for a thicker chrome layer, but it probably would be a cheaper way to go to just buy a good system to begin. I have some new Delkevic I haven't used yet, just waiting for the correct use/bike to install 'em-on.

VMax Delkevic exhaust headers.jpg

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Delkevic system for my Gen 1 - I'm a bit concerned now though regarding the quality issues you have highlighted. 🙄 incidentally, did you have to re-jet or were the stock jets ok?
I got a Delkevic full stainless 4-1 for my ZN1100 6 months ago. Excellent quality, perfect fit and beautiful welds.

Thanks for the info. Have ordered the exhaust now so i’ll see how it goes. 🤔
no jetting as dimensions are the same as stock, keep on top of cleaning and they'll look ok but will get little bits of pitting here and there, just condensation did it to mine, no idea how they'll be if regularly used on wet roads though

I think the Marving system looks interesting. With the crossover pipe I suspect they would be similar to OEM in performance. I like the appearance, similar to OEM.

VMax Marving megaphone exhaust.png

I have Delkelvic’s with aftermarket (po) stainless downpipes, sounds great, quality is good, company/service couldn’t be better.

my bike needs re-jetting now…

Back