• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Desert_Max's dream bike ZL900 Eliminator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a custom seat set for one lol. Should be done in a couple of weeks.

You’re killing me “Smalls”.

I would have another one in a heartbeat if it was on the left side of the continent. And yes, it is a dream bike. Straight line only. If you think the Gen1 Vmax is ill handling, try one of these in tight sweepers.

Rode a brand new one off the showroom floor in Ocala, Florida. Sold it and regretted it for a couple of decades.Found a really nice one 10 years ago, modified it the way I wanted to do the first one but didn’t have the money, got rear ended at a light and it was destroyed. I was heartbroken. Consoled myself with a CBX.

The virgin one:
9A5F61F7-3751-42AD-857F-08F0837EF5C2.jpeg
988F0C77-4988-4293-9C44-C336DEF9C301.jpeg

The one that was destroyed 10 years ago:
13E399E3-C715-4A88-831D-1DE3806557B9.jpeg
B91B2068-8379-494C-A7B0-23B133566370.jpeg
4C8CB4F3-5CFA-4714-B874-40558061F1DB.jpeg
This was a very nice example of a ZL 900. “Was” is the operative word here.

Fire Medic, Thanks, I mean thanks for picking the scab back off my wound! The wound that never heals. Kind of like a Vmax that gets sold...

Not exactly a factory resto. Purchased from original owner. The last of four he had. His mods. I didn’t change much. I am of the opinion that many period mods are as deserving of restoration/preservation as original examples. Besides, how many silver/black/candy glory red specimens can YOU stomach?
E8F78FE4-803F-4176-B481-B2AF1C697AF5.jpegA6B7B12D-8E8C-4866-9C05-EC7A719DDCE7.jpeg616CE48D-FFE8-4476-80E9-A32E8CD19D74.jpeg67787AFA-95C0-4EC7-9159-E8CE3162C79F.jpeg

Looked like a D & D pipe on the Eliminator.

I hope that stupid Honda car was immobilized because of the wreck. I broke the windshield of the Honda that hit me, with my helmet. I did a 'Superman' into the right A pillar/windshield, when she turned left in-front of three oncoming lanes of traffic, and decided to stop 'dead' in my lane, leaving me nowhere to go, but, "up, up, and away." The woman in the car behind me pulled-over to the side of the road to give testimony to the investigating police officer, because she was sure she just witnessed a traffic fatality caused by the car driver. I am very-grateful to her. My fire-rescue co-worker came to the hospital to get me when I was released, and on the way-home, I told him, "better pull-over, I think I'm gonna be sick," and I puked all-over the side of his brand-new Dodge pick-up. It was maybe a week-old.

Yeah, D&D. It sounded great and performed well, but I always "hated" that bend in the mid-pipe up to the can. Could have been done so much better than that. Almost made me put the stock exhaust back on (which came with the bike).

The kid in the Honda (mid 20s) thought he'd killed me as I disappeared from view for a minute. He was so overcome with emotion when I appeared, and relatively unscathed, that he sat down on the curb, laid back and literally browned out. The cop that showed up in just a few minutes thought HE was the one who'd been on the bike. He was shocked when he realized that was me and the "patient" was the driver of the car!

Last edited:
I was still riding a CB650 when a buddy in my small town got one of these. Damn I was covetous!
At the time it seemed longer and lower than anything else. I also remember thinking the rear tire was crazy fat!
Of course it was compared to my 130 LOLOL

I've got one setting for years now. Put new pipes on it before putting it away. Previous. Owner put 1000cc motor in it

Back