Diaphragm soak?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
Am wondering if its a good idea or not to recondition the diaphragms and if so with what or how (if anybody's done this before). Last time I had them out they looked OK, but am considering of going stage 7 and figure while their out why not do some preventative maintenance if feasible--cuz man they're EXPENSIVE....thoughts?

regards from my tapatalking android...

You can almost buy a complete set of used carbs for the price of a new set of diaphragms . ( if you just need one , chances are 1 in four will be fine )

Am wondering if its a good idea or not to recondition the diaphragms and if so with what or how (if anybody's done this before). Last time I had them out they looked OK, but am considering of going stage 7 and figure while their out why not do some preventative maintenance if feasible--cuz man they're EXPENSIVE....thoughts?

regards from my tapatalking android...

Liquid Wrench Heavy Duty Silicone Spray Lubricant. Safe for all plastics and rubber. Worked for me.:biglaugh:

Be careful tho'

Some sprays will swell the rubber so much that you'll play hell on getting them back in the sealling indention.

I'd lean towards the silicone before wd-40

Be careful tho'

Some sprays will swell the rubber so much that you'll play hell on getting them back in the sealling indention.

I'd lean towards the silicone before wd-40

Does the Liquid Wrench stuff have this tendency. Do you have a list of ones that are notorious for swelling the rubber ( pun intended:rofl_200:)?

I wash them good in WD40, that seems to keep them nice and flexible. Also heard gasoline works well also.

+2 to wd40, I use CRC Marine grade which contains the same stuff.Some swelling does occur. I clean them and put them right in . But, why not replace just the diaphragms without the slides? I got 4 for $100 and they work great. I must have 8k on them without a problem. A guy on e-bay had them. There are threads on changing them here. It's not difficult. I got the old ones out without ripping them further. I didn't split the slides, but that might be easier.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Does the Liquid Wrench stuff have this tendency. Do you have a list of ones that are notorious for swelling the rubber ( pun intended:rofl_200:)?

:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Not really, never kept track. I just usually wait and spray and clean them right before installation.

I think I let some soak in a tub overnight once with I don't remember what kind of cleaner, and they looked like they had elephantitis, had to let them them sit and dry out a week or more in order to get them back in.

... But, why not replace just the diaphragms without the slides? I got 4 for $100 and they work great...
Steve-o
thanks for the advice steve-o.:punk: i'm aware of this, but mine are fine. the thing is: if i can postpone the $100 bill from leaving the wallet much later than sooner with just a $3 can of lube, then the Monkey will more likely have more toys:rofl_200:.

thanks for the advice steve-o.:punk: i'm aware of this, but mine are fine. the thing is: if i can postpone the $100 bill from leaving the wallet much later than sooner with just a $3 can of lube, then the Monkey will more likely have more toys:rofl_200:.
Welcome much Bro. I fully understand money separation anxiety, I have it now...lol. Just inspect them good to avoid future probs Bro.

Back