Did harley design our motor?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
This may sound REALLY stupid but i remember when i first started searching the net for info on the vmax, i read something about harley designing the motor for it or something. I may be wrong.

Does anyone have any info on this it just crossed my mind today after riding a wide glide harley and would love to read more on it. thanks

A 3rd party designed it and attempted to sell to Harley. They turned it down and Yamaha eventually bought it.

But I think Hardly did copy the V-Max in some ways with the V-Rod.

1.The Name.
2.The placement of the fuel tank.
3.The cover rather than a traditional fuel tank.

hmmm really, i swear i read harley designed it. Thanks for clearing that up for me its been bugging me all day.

I rode a 96 harley wide glide and i didnt like it at all. It had quite a bit of power but it just seemed like it ran like shit. he says all the vibration at cruising speed is normal but i think it was pretty excessive.

What is with females and harleys? I about had a biker chick to the point of beating my ass over the subject at the bar the other night. She swore up and down that harleys were built so much better and last soooo much longer. I think they are an overpriced pile of crap in my opinion. I would mind having a frame and a big motor and design it how i liked it but stock from the factory i think there butt ugly and it takes WAAAAAAAAAY too much money to make them look half as badass as a stock vmax. Just my .02

Be serious. Harley-Davidson(tm) has nothing to do with the VMax.
All they could manage to do is come up with that lame-ass VRod(tm)!

Be serious. Harley-Davidson(tm) has nothing to do with the VMax.
All they could manage to do is come up with that lame-ass VRod(tm)!
They could have never come up with their own motor that would produce more than 100 hp. They hired Porsche to upgrade their tractor designs and are now beating their chest over what THEY had accomplished.

Good point! I'd forgotten I read that...
When you're pushing 60 years old you get a bit forgetful!:confused2:

Good point! I'd forgotten I read that...
When you're pushing 60 years old you get a bit forgetful!:confused2:

Ya, tell me about it also. But a good blast at V-Boost levels really helps clear out the cobwebs. I'll try a bit of fast sking Sunday and see if that helps also.
Lew

I forgot about that one, too!

"Daisy, Daisy.
Give me your answer, do."

(That one only works if you saw the movie 2001. It was what HAL said as his memory was being disconnected!)

Look at the Harley Davidson Nova project. Liquid cooled v4 in mid 70's.
Set for production 1981 but never made it. Vmax similarities are definitely there!
Read about it here :

http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm

Dale #2592
The project was probably way over their head. It took other nations to help them get with the times and modernize, and it took over 25 years from what they dreamt about to actually put something on the floor that's more than a thumper. There was a special just now on TV where they showed their brand new factory with modern machines. Not one word about them getting a lot of their help from outsiders/competitors, PLUS having the president and congress pass legislation to make it prohibitive to import any machine bigger than 700cc or thereabouts. They were all but belly up and now they're rolling in it. Go figure. :confused2:

Latest posts

Back