Did I ruin this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottous1

Reaction score
PO forewarned me that he stripped a idle mixture screw years ago. Said it was stuck and he stripped it trying to get it out. I threw it up on the drill press and all was great until I tried using an easy out. I was using hand strength and not the drill at this point. I knew better. It blew the side our of the tube the needle sits in. Is this carb now useless or a can I epoxy it and be good. I'll take any advice and deserved comments. 20191005_155132_HDR.jpg

I suspect you could epoxy it, but getting it machined properly would not be an easy task, the jet tip protruding into the venturi is very small. I guess you have nothing to-lose, but this looks to me to be what Robert Prsig in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance would have referred-to as a gumption trap.

I have successfully completed a removal of one of those jets, and I have the correct tap to prove it, but I was fully-prepared to replace the carburetor body if the repair attempt didn't take. Start saving your pennies.

Revzilla:
2WF-14901-02-00
Item: P583659 SKU: 1496248

Carburetor #4 is listed as, "unavailable." They vary in-price, carburetors #1-#3. The cheapest:

$672.79

For that, you could probably find a complete rack of used carbs, though you'd have-to rely upon the seller's claim of suitability of use. I have had good luck with Pinwall Cycle Parts, though Sean Morley or dannymax on here (see their banner ads) may have used bodies.

Last edited:
Bolting the bottom bracket on might pinch the sides of the tube back together enough so the threads are be useable but I'm with Sean, it's probly shot.

A shame too as it appears to be a right side carb (#3)....they are getting scarce.

Hmmm, one of mine has seized, don't recall which one now. Will need to take care removing it. Are the screws available - common to other mikunis?

Okay, here's a shot in the dark. I looked at the parts diagrams on Partzilla for the 1990 Yamaha XVZVenture and the part number for Carb#3 is 1NL-14903-02-00,
The 1990 VMax Carb #3 is 2WF-14903-02-00. If the first three characters are only model designators, you might have an alternate source for a suitable carb. Is DINGY still on this forum? I know that he has extensive knowledge of the Venture/VMax DNA.

Hmmm, one of mine has seized, don't recall which one now. Will need to take care removing it. Are the screws available - common to other mikunis?
Just down use an easy out. I knew better than too. However I thought that after I drilled out the needle to a safe size, the easy out would take care of what little was left. As you can see, it care of the carb body. Carb kits come with new needles too. Thanks everyone for your help and insight.

Okay, here's a shot in the dark. I looked at the parts diagrams on Partzilla for the 1990 Yamaha XVZVenture and the part number for Carb#3 is 1NL-14903-02-00,
The 1990 VMax Carb #3 is 2WF-14903-02-00. If the first three characters are only model designators, you might have an alternate source for a suitable carb. Is DINGY still on this forum? I know that he has extensive knowledge of the Venture/VMax DNA.
MOST of the Venture carb bodies can swap over just not the left front (#2) since it doesn't have the choke standoff. You cant' go by the part number only to know what will and won't fit. He knows Ventures and a little Vmax. I know a LOT Vmax and a fair share of Venture. Another difference is the butterfly though it's not enough to really matter. The bolts are also a higher corrosion resistant type (though we use stainless for our rebuilds anyway). The diaphragm covers are different though they can be swapped if you want the cosmetic change.

Sorry Sean, no slight intended. I just remember DINGY from the Venture Riders forum and he seems very knowledgeable. A couple of the guys over there adapted the V-boost to their 2nd Gen Ventures, I think DINGY was one of them but I can't remember for sure...my little gray cells are getting more gray every day!

Dingy has done that as have we.

Attachments

• IMG_20190322_174408 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190322_174408 (2).jpg
    215 KB · Views: 30
  • sean-2 (2).jpg
    sean-2 (2).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 30
Just down use an easy out. I knew better than too. However I thought that after I drilled out the needle to a safe size, the easy out would take care of what little was left. As you can see, it care of the carb body. Carb kits come with new needles too. Thanks everyone for your help and insight.
Well I think I'm lucky, the screw hasn't quite seized, it will go in, but the head is butchered and screwdriver won't grip to unscrew. I'm told a small spot of grinding paste could help, will try that first, then drill and tap in a hex key, that's worked for me before.

Back