Died on the road

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Was riding home from work tonight, all was well. until total power loss...

All power, no lights, no nothing, engine died... Turn key on nothing happens...

Any idea what this could be...?

Thank you...

Well the battery would be the first place to start with.Check your voltage across the terminals,then have a look at the main fuses to make sure they're ok.Battery should have 12.6 volts and have clean terminals.If you have a flat battery then you may have a charging problem.Using a test light check the power from the positive terminal to the fuse block .There are trouble shooting guides on the net.Good luck Kevman.

While checking battery and fuses, make sure connections to battery are not loose.

Trondyne,
Not what I thought this thread was about. I got concerned a forum member was killed on their bike. The title implies someone died on the road. Maybe "Bike died on the road" for a title?

Trondyne,
Not what I thought this thread was about. I got concerned a forum member was killed on their bike. The title implies someone died on the road. Maybe "Bike died on the road" for a title?

Sorry didn't think of that... I see no way to modify that now...

Okay so, I tried replacing the 30 amp main fuse and although the bike was off as soon as the fuse was in place it popped...

Had it picked up and off to the local Yamaha shop... :eek:

They call and say it's ready so I go down... Guy hands me a bill for $412, no parts just pickup and labor... Not super happy I go upstairs and pay the bill... Go back down to the shop at least relieved to be able to get the bike back.. I walk over to the window and the manager says there's a problem, the battery is dead...

Not really understanding WTF that is supposed to mean I start flipping out... So, the manager is telling me some nonsense about it was on a charger last night and now it's dead so it must need a battery... I take off my glasses look at the guy and say WHAT? I don't need to hear anything else, I know there is some serious BS going on here... After some arguing about how likely it is for a battery that starts my bike just fine since it was installed a year ago to suddenly die for no reason in their shop, he says he'll have the guy check it... Good f-ing idea...I guess the bike isn't exactly ready...

Then some additional arguing with the manager -- I realize the battery IS taking a charge and was drained overnight, there is clearly a drain in the system... I tell this to the manager and he argues further, I tell him I do have some experience with this stuff and I think he's FOS... I go and get a coffee across the street to calm down and come back a few minutes later.. I see that he now has a different guy looking at the bike, the one that doesn't look like a crackhead... No more than 3 minutes later the good guy walks into the waiting area holding up my regulator, he says here's the problem... No $hit... Nothing wrong with the battery...

So I go upstairs and tell the owner how blown away pissed I am at this and long story short, they end up putting a larger regulator on the bike near the left footpeg and say they will order the correct one since there was no great place to mount this larger one... They say they'll give me a break on the cost of the new one to make up for the inconvenience... Total cost will be around $570 when all is done... What an end to an already bad week... At least she's running...

Last edited:
The Stealer, as they're known around here. usually aren't the best place to take your Vmax. A regulator, battery charge, transport, and labor for $570. Labor WAS $120 an hr. at the Yamaha Marine dealership I worked at. When you go to a dealer, coffee breaks *15 minutes plus back and forth to the break room, stop and consult with the service mgr. Discuss how Stephanie in accounting really has the best ass in the Co. Go the the parts room and wait, as Big Al eats a donut while further bullshiting with anyone pretending to listen. Big Al talking endlessly about how great a mechanic he was before they hid him in the parts dept. clean up, putting tools back, it's not right, but it IS all on the customers dime! A basic tool set, cheap meter, and this forum. Anyone can learn to fix most of their own stuff here. And save $$ along with aggravation.

Sure, and I do anything I can without taking the bike to Yamaha... I even just started working in a marine service shop...

In this case, my bike died on the road, I had to get it out of there... My boss and myself looked at the bike, tried a fuse looked around and had no ideas... In the end the only place/way to get the bike out of there was Yamaha... Took 12 minutes at 9:00am and the bike was on their truck...

What I see in this case is mechanic #2 not doing a very good job and the service manager covering for him... I spoke with mechanic #1 and he said, yes if he had been the one working on the bike things would have been different.

I still don't know where the short was initially that was causing the main fuse to pop with the key off assuming it was something other than the regulator, since the old regulator was still on when they thought it was "fixed". I dread the idea of trying to find a short like that and I need my bike running as it is my primary means of transportation.... I am half inclined to rewire this larger regulator, relocate it and not go back to the dealer...

Two things I would always ensure I do if taking a vehicle in for repair:
i) Ensure they have written details of the fault you are asking them to repair as verbal communication can be misinterpreted or denied later.
ii) Insist on a full written explanation as to what work was undertaken and the diagnostic processes used and take any parts they have replaced.
In the event of the repair being unsuccessful you will have some grounds for asking for your money back as they will have breached the contract you have with them i.e. I give you money you fix the faut it came in for.

Back