Dies After Warm Up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCSharp

Reaction score
Help! My 2005 Max runs great right up until about 10-15 minutes. At that point it just dies and won't restart. If I crank the starter it may fire a couple of times at best but it refuses to restart until it's had a good hour or usually more to cool. I would say it behaved exactly like I had accidently hit the run/off switch. Since then I've run it in my driveway to troubleshoot with the same results. Any ideas on where to start looking, what parts would be more susceptable to heat etc...?

When it dies and will not start , turn the key off & then to the run position , do you hear the fuel pump ? .. Make sure theres enough gas in it ! .. If so you have to check for spark ! ...

I think we have a winner... After it dies-No Fuel Pump! I'm registering about 10.5 volts for a couple seconds at the plug, but it's not pumping.I even put a stethescope to it and it sort of makes that sickly sound like its trying to do something but can't. Anything else I need to check or should I just go order a pump? EDIT: I got a Climbers manual so i'm going through the fuel pump/pump relay checks now

Ok, fuel pump looks good... and Yes, I have no spark when it dies. I crank it and those times it starts to fire there is spark, otherwise nothing. I checked all spark plugs and its the same. I'm running through the ignition system troubleshooting list in my clymers, and I'm at the Diode. It would seem to have no continuity in either direction. I'm waiting for it to cool down some and check it again.

Ok, after cool down I verified that my multimeter was flakey, so after a re-soldered connection the Diode checked good. After hooking everything back up I ran the bike up and a good 40 mins later it's still running!?!? I hate "re-seated connectors/op checked good" fixes. I never fully trust that the problem isn't just waiting to crop back up. If it stays running for another 10 or 20 minutes I'll brave a run around the block and then play it by ear from there. :ummm:

COULD BE AN IGNITION BOX ON THE WAY OUT ! I'm not sure if there is an ignition relay ... PM. SEAN MORLEY AND ASK HIM ! .. one2dmax

Also could be the ignition pick-up coil , this makes more sense to me ! .. GO INTO THE SEARCH SECTION OF THIS FORUM & TYPE IN " PICK UP COILS , TONS OF ARTICLES ABOUT THEM , SOUNDS LIKE THE WAY TO GO !

Just got back from riding around the neighborhood about 25 mins without a hiccup! I did check the pickup coil earlier, it had 110 ohms which was within the specs according to the clymers manual I've got. After reading some of those posts I'll definetely keep it in mind as a prime suspect if she starts acting up again. It's only 43 out right now so I'm not too eager to go ring her out, but tomorrow should be in the 60's so it may be time for a real road test after a few more laps around the block. Thank you very much for the assistance!

hey guys,Twisted here, same problem bike gets warm and it dies, was running well before i changed the starter clutch ,could i have done somthing to the stator?I also replaced the reg/rect ,thought that could be the problem ,and while i am making better voltage ( 14 or so instead of 13.5)the thing still just dies when it warms up.any thoughts?

my buddies camaro is having a problem like this. he hasnt figured it out yet.

Latest posts

Back